GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just give them skirts fer Christ sake"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/06/04 at 22:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
The main thing i've picked up from Euro 2004 is just how over-rated and what poor losers England are, however other than that the other thing to have got my attention is the apparent new rule of if you dare touch any part of the opponents body while making an attempt to win the ball you will be penalised for it.

Every single little nudge when players go up for the ball is punished, any time a player makes full contact with the ball with his foot while slide tackling yet catches the player as well gets punished also. Sooner or later football is going to turn into a none-contact sport. How i long for the old days where the likes of Chopper Harris could scythe someone down yet because he made contact with the ball first it was ok and play was allowed to continue. Football is meant to be a game full of passion and tough play, none of this poncy *ooooh you nasty man you gave me a push in the back so i'll react like someone has just shot me 27 times in the stomach* it's time it went back to that.

Yes you could argue football now has a far bigger financial bearing on it and their players should be protected but for god sakes these are meant to be grown men, if they can't handle a bit of rough play then they should go off and play cricket and relax in the pavillion where it's nice and safe. Back on the school playground you couldn't go a breaktime without sometime completely missing the ball and cracking your knee cap round the other side of your leg, however most people got straight back up and raced after the massive crowd chasing the ball, none of this rolling around crying until the physio came on or until the ref calls the foul, which magically heals them. (Maybe the NHS could paint white lines down the hallway, put the patient on a stretcher and then cross over the line. It seems to work wonders for the footballers who after screaming in agony for 2 minutes are suddenly fit and raring to go)

However the thing which puzzles me the most now with this new found protection of the little dears is the fact that defenders can make absolutely no attempt to play the ball and just block off the attacker while ferrying the ball over the line for a goal kick. Now surely if a midfielder gets punished for not playing the ball then why don't the defenders. If you saw Roy Keane standing 2 foot away from the ball and just basically stopping Stevie Gerrard getting the ball then surely you'd be thinking that's a foul so why not if Ashley Cole stands the same distance away blocking Gronkjaer? I've always thought you should make an attempt to play the ball at all times and there's a little rule called obstruction, why if every time there's a slight bit of contact in the rest of the park is there nothing given in this area of the field?

Tis a funny old game we enjoy, just not a very physical one anymore (depending on the area of the pitch anyway)
Mon 26/07/04 at 13:32
Regular
still who cares if it was the injury that ended haalands career. The fact is he definately injured him. That is part of football, bt not in the way keane did it, it was reckless at best and probably intended, the kind of thing that actually warrants an huge suspension.
Mon 26/07/04 at 13:16
Regular
Forest Fan wrote:
> Don or†ega wrote:
> And Haaland's career wasnt ruined by Keane.
>
> Yes it was. That slide tackle would ruin anyone's career.

No it wasnt. His "career" was ended by an injury to the other knee. Haaland is full of crap.
Mon 26/07/04 at 07:20
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Don or†ega wrote:
> And Haaland's career wasnt ruined by Keane.

Yes it was. That slide tackle would ruin anyone's career.
Sun 25/07/04 at 23:05
Regular
"indecipherable"
Great post dude, really interesting, and oh-so-true
Sun 18/07/04 at 19:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ashley wrote:
> you'd be the first one to complain when Ruud gets his cruciate torn
> again by lucas neill after a chopperesque tackle.

Hmmm yes because a little nudge while battling for the ball is sooooo similar to someone going over the ball and crippling someone isn't it?
Sun 18/07/04 at 14:25
Regular
um, hello?

Buust was Irwin. And that was an accident.

And Haaland's career wasnt ruined by Keane. He made a comeback but was forced out of the game by other non related injuries. Hence his legal action against Keane came to nothing. Haaland had it coming anyway after saying Keane was faking the injury when it lead to him missing the whole season.
Sun 18/07/04 at 13:48
Regular
"I like cheese"
Ashley wrote:
> you'd be the first one to complain when Ruud gets his cruciate torn
> again by lucas neill after a chopperesque tackle.
>
> I'm, sure david Buust is thrilled with the state of his knee and the
> moment too thanks to Roy keane.
>
> Must be why kevin muscat is so popular

Heh, it's true...

Personally I don't think Roy Keane should even be in the game at the moment. David Buust AND Alf-Inge Haaland (sp?) - lives and careers ruined by an utter tw@t who can't control his temper.
Sun 18/07/04 at 01:46
Regular
[URL]http://www.360soccer.com/images/bussted.jpg[/URL]

sick!
Sun 18/07/04 at 01:41
Regular
you'd be the first one to complain when Ruud gets his cruciate torn again by lucas neill after a chopperesque tackle.

I'm, sure david Buust is thrilled with the state of his knee and the moment too thanks to Roy keane.

Must be why kevin muscat is so popular
Thu 15/07/04 at 10:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
The greeks were the worst out the lot at Euro 2004, they get knocked down and then keep rolling for about 3 minutes until they've gone all around the pitch.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.