GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unreal Tournament 2006"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/02/05 at 13:09
Regular
"PSYCHOTIC KILLER"
From what i've heard they are skipping unreal tournament 2005 and are going straight to unreal tournament 2006 and are going to use the unreal 3 engine which is really cool.

If this info is wrong correct me.
Sat 26/02/05 at 20:34
Regular
"The definitive tag"
MJ wrote:
> I didn't expect a reply as such, but it would of been nice considering
> you asked for an explanation. Oh well.

Ah well.
Sat 26/02/05 at 18:02
Regular
I didn't expect a reply as such, but it would of been nice considering you asked for an explanation. Oh well.
Sat 26/02/05 at 15:34
Regular
"The definitive tag"
MJ wrote:
> I'll take the lack of a reply as a sign of defeat.

Didn't realise that you wanted one and I've lost all interest now.
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:04
Regular
The original UT was alright but I got bored of it so I downloaded Tactical Ops 1.6 and there was pretty much a big community there already even when this version I downloaded was actually just released.
The original was so much more popular that Tactical Ops benefitted from it, it didn't have a community the size of CounterStrike but it was a whole lot bigger than the UT2004 mod community.
Fri 25/02/05 at 00:38
Regular
"gsybe you!"
UT owns all.

Weenar.
Thu 24/02/05 at 17:28
Regular
I'll take the lack of a reply as a sign of defeat.
Wed 23/02/05 at 14:42
Regular
[URL]http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/[/URL]

Take this link for example, yes I know its Gamespy (not the best place to be getting information), however by looking at it you can tell several things. Firstly, HL is still the mosr popular game, no doubt due to a low spec comp being required in contrast to it's far more cpu hungry brother.

I'll compare 2k4 to HL2 for now as they are more comparable when it comes to the times they were released:

UT2004: 3133 servers, 5914 players

HL2: 12427 servers, 28410 players Ok, 27521 players are from CS:S yes, but ignore this. Although it does backup my mod scene arguement. CS started as a mod, and without CS:S HL2's multiplayer consists of roughly 1000 people

Just a slight difference there, bearing in mind that 2 in the afternoon is hardly peak time for either game, might be interesting to compare figures a bit later in the day. When looked at like this, I personally feel the game is a failure, it certainly didn't hit the same kind of figures that UT did at the time and thats a real disappointment because I do like the UT series however much I put it down.

Now I'll point out, by means of stats, why the mod scene is an important factor when it comes to determining success:

Unreal Tournament 2004

ONSOnslaughtGame

527 servers, 1977 players

xDeathMatch

960 servers, 1313 players

xCTFGame

515 servers, 882 players

xTeamGame

426 servers, 407 players

ASGameInfo

93 servers, 303 players

xVehicleCTFGame

42 servers, 174 players

Invasion

81 servers, 161 players

instagibCTF

101 servers, 146 players

xBombingRun

43 servers, 134 players

Jailbreak

14 servers, 59 players

Unreal Tournament

TO340

780 servers, 1019 players

Capture the Flag

670 servers, 507 players

Tournament Deathmatch

533 servers, 271 players

Team Game Plus

254 servers, 116 players

Tactical Ops

45 servers, 77 players

MonsterHunt

16 servers, 31 players

TFMod

3 servers, 23 players

Rocket Arena

13 servers, 21 players

BunnyTrackGame

12 servers, 19 players

LastManStanding

24 servers, 14 players

First obversvation to make is the fact that Unreal Tournament has almost half of UT2004's players... bit odd considering UT is so old and UT2k4 is in theory a far more appealing offering. If this was the case I'd expect to see far more people convert to the new title.

Second observation: Again a mod is providing a vast amount of the games players, in this case the mod in question is Tactical Ops 3.40. This is why I place so much emphasis on the mod scene taking off being a big sign of whether or not a game will be a big success. At first a succesful mod can mean many new players buy the game, but essentially it will keep players in the game.

Third observation: UT2004's player list has absolutely NO mods in its list despite it having some amazing offerings. You only need to look at [URL]http://www.makesomethingunreal.com[/URL] for this to become apparent. I personally feel this is a major shame, mods also provide a distraction from the main game type when it gets a bit tiresome, UT2004 players do have these other options, but no one is playing them which is very unfortunate.

You could say I'm simply a mod fanatic, kind of comes with the job when you are on the development team of one of the larger ones, but it's not something I feel strongly about for the sake of feeling strongly about it. Mods are a proven method of drawing more players to games (hell, I wouldn't even own UT if it wasn't for Tactical Ops) and the success of them (proven by Counterstrike) can also be a major stepping stone to gaining a huge player base.

Anyway, I don't doubt this arguement has many holes in, but I feel I needed to express my opinion in a bit more depth. Hope you can kind of see my side of the arguement now.
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:24
Regular
"The definitive tag"
SnipSnapPop wrote:
> Erm it does..

Explain
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:01
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
How can you call a game with a (registered) user base of about 400,000 people a failure??

For me it was the game that persuaded me to move over to broadband... and the move was worth evry penny and all the hassle that came with it ;-)
Tue 22/02/05 at 14:36
Regular
Erm it does..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.