GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Games Design"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/02/05 at 23:23
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
If I pass all my A levels I hope to be going to uni to start a Computer Science Games Development course and I was wondering has anyone else done this course before or currently doing this course, and if you are could you give me some pointers in what it will involve? Also I haven't really made any games beofore e.g. and flash games on the internet and does anyone know where I could learn or if theres any good books as any help would be nice, Thanks.
Sun 06/03/05 at 02:59
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
Cooky wrote:
> Wooooooo!
>
> I got offered a job at Free Radical!
>
> :D

Congrats
Sat 05/03/05 at 09:15
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Wooooooo!

I got offered a job at Free Radical!

:D
Thu 03/03/05 at 16:41
"period drama"
Indeed. That's why I'm doing a course with some games stuff in it - so I might actually want to do some extra work when I can.
Thu 03/03/05 at 16:17
One of the things you'll notice about Computing at A Level is that it sucks. Create some mucky DB and connect to it using Vb - woohoo. It's best to read up on the mian language of your course, because while most of the general stuff is the same, there are differences in syntax.

Also, that small gap while you're ahead is nothing; pretty soon the work will pile in, even at first year. Not sure about the Games course though, but programming is pretty much like that. Trick is not to lounge about with the same knowledge set; i.e. make new tech demos whenever you can, in whatever area you choose, or small completed games. They make a huge difference when applying.
Thu 03/03/05 at 16:08
"period drama"
Most of the ones I looked at don't expect anyone to have any programming etc. experience at all when they start. Or much grasp of computers in general.

I'll only have a Computing AS level by then, but it'll still put me a few months ahead. Which is always nice.
Thu 03/03/05 at 16:06
Yeah. Though it didn't seem that way then (it never does), first year was pipsy. My advice would be to read up on Java/Cpp, and the fundamentals of programming (general statements, structures and software design etc.) so when the first year comes and you find yourself ahead, you can do other extra curricular stuff for your chosen path in games.
Thu 03/03/05 at 15:22
"period drama"
Had your interview yet, Cooky?
Sounds really good - what kind of job is / was it for?

Most of the computing-related courses I've looked at are all basically the same in the 1st year, to get everyone's computing skills up to a good level, so they can work in a lot of different areas if needed.

I'll be going for a placement 3rd year for sure - it's an excellent idea if you ask me, either giving you a guaranteed job there when you finish, or a great deal of industry experience which will help you no end getting a job elsewhere.
Wed 23/02/05 at 11:08
Free Radical, good luck on that. :o)

I almost switched to a games degree ain the first year. But asked a few informed people, and they really had no preference to whether you had a games or more general CompSci degree. And of course there's a lot more choice in careers once you graduate.

Having said that, I did apply to a bevy of games-related jobs for my placement next year, and I've got one interview with Sony in March. Figured I may as well try it out.
Wed 23/02/05 at 09:57
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I did a computer game programming/design degree.

My honest advice... you won't like it... do a Computer Science degree instead!

The games industry in the UK is going downhill at the moment, and so trying to get a job, especially without any industry experiance, is a complete NIGHTMARE. I know VERY few people from my Uni who got games industry jobs after the degree.
The ones that did, and this is what you MUST do, are the lucky ones who managed to get placement jobs in some company for their 3rd year.

Saying all that though. I have an interview at Free Radical next week! Hope all goes well!!!

The reason I mentioned just doing a Computer Science degree, and kinda wish I'd just done it, is because your job options are sooooo much greater. You finish a games degree, and when you can't get a games related job you sit and think... well now what can I do. And your a bit stuck. But doing a Computer Science degree, and if you dabble in games in your spare time, would probably stand you in much better stead for getting some sort of job at least once you graduate.

:)
Mon 21/02/05 at 21:39
"period drama"
Most probably Lincoln, if nothing goes terribly, or I hate it when I go to visit. gamesfreak (of this site) is going there as well, and doing the same course, which is kind of freaky.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.