GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Uni PC Equipment"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 19:15
Regular
"NULL"
OK, I've got most of the PC stuff I'll need for Uni, but there are a few things I need.

Primarily:
- Desktop speakers (just 2 satellites, not with subwoofer or anything, but reasonable quality and power)
- TV Card (I've got one at the moment - Hauppauge WinTV - but it can't record very well at all - e.g. can't compress - and the quality isn't fantastic)
- All-In-One Printer/Scanner/Copier (something small - I'm looking at the HP PSC1205 and HP PSC1350)
- Carrying case for my huuuuge TT XaserIII Supertower case and 17" TFT monitor)

Being a student and skint already, I don't wanna spend too much, but I wanna get something of reasonable quality.
Sat 26/06/04 at 14:40
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Uncle Albert wrote:

>However, will I be able to run my PS2 and Gamecube through it somehow?

It actually has a composite video "IN" port and a software "Input selector" that allows you to choose whether you want to watch TV or use the video input. HOWEVER!! -> they haven't quite finished writting the software drivers for the Video Input and it doesn't actually work very well at the moment... they are quite good with updates though being a small British company eager to please, they've promised to fix this in the near future.

Also most of the Radeon X800XTs released in Europe will have VIVO functions, so you should be able to run analogue video signals through that...

Damn Bath student :P
Sat 26/06/04 at 10:47
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
tigamilla wrote:
> Uncle Albert - Bath sounds good in terms of LAN gaming!! jealous
> :-(

Not only can you play games across the uni network, as well as over the net using their fat connection, they also regularly have LAN parties on site...sweeeet! My Shuttle is gonna be a complete darkhorse. They'll all be there with their big f-off towers, mocking the wee Shuttle, until it blitzes them all with the X800 XT under the hood...I can see it now. :D

On the subject of the TV card, I've been thinking. Getting that super-swanky digital TV card mentioned earlier in this thread sounds great...no need for hef TV, however, will I be able to run my PS2 and Gamecube through it somehow? I've seen you can get connection boxes which accomodate all sorts of connections, but would I be able to plug one into that TV card? Thoughts appreciated...
Wed 23/06/04 at 17:32
Regular
"NULL"
Any ideas about the analogue TV Card and printer then? Also, I'm tempted to get a PC Games Controller as well. Probably better than a keyboard. Any good ones around?
Tue 22/06/04 at 18:48
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
hmm dabs have a 4 way router and wireless card for 75hard earned ones...

how many wireless routers can be "daisy chained"?

Must get up to date with the whole wireless thing...Heads for google

Uncle Albert - Bath sounds good in terms of LAN gaming!! jealous :-(
Tue 22/06/04 at 17:07
Regular
"NULL"
I've got a wireless USB adapter and we have a wireless hub at home, but I won't be able to take the hub to uni alas.
Tue 22/06/04 at 16:06
Regular
Point taken, I misread your post.
Tue 22/06/04 at 16:04
"I love yo... lamp."
No, the wireless Origo router works brilliantly. Using it now.

But their cards for PCs and laptops are poor.
Tue 22/06/04 at 16:02
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Go for Netware.
>
> I've had issues with the cheapo's off of Ebuyer. Origo or something
> like that.

I've got an Origo wired router which does its job perfectly, but it was very cheap and I can imagine the wireless ones being rubbish
Tue 22/06/04 at 15:47
"I love yo... lamp."
Yup, bit harsh. As long as somebody gets a wireless router all is well. And bear in mind you can get ethernet cables of up to 90 metres as well.
Tue 22/06/04 at 15:41
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Blummin 'eck, York are a bit strict!

By contrast, Bath even has a forum, where technicians will help you get games running over the network! I can't wait! :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.