GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It Makes Me Sad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/06/04 at 15:41
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
The generic music released nowadays.

The whole music business has, quite frankly, gone to pot.
It's times like these that I wish the music released was as it was in the 40's through late 50's.

No crap electronics to synthesise everything about a song.
No talentless bints somehow earning millions.
No fact that money was completely dominating the industry.
Good, solid, thought provoking, emotionally moving music.

You just don't get the latter anymore. Glance at the charts, and practically every song will have had the lead singer's voice modified, tweaked, pitch shifted. The 'instruments' will be electrically created (electric drum beats etc).

This post is pretty much all over the place, because I don't know really how to define why I despise the music industry right now. There's just so many little things that I really hate, and I can't get that across enough.

I'm just listening to some Frank Sinatra songs.
And they're all gold. The lyrics, the masses of talented musicians playing the instruments, and of course the voice.

It's non existant nowadays. I suppose this post has potential to be massively long.
But it's odd. I can't really be bothered to, which is strange considering it's something I feel strongly about.

The musicians themselves. There's no characters whatsoever. They're all lifeless, demanding prima donnas.

Gah, I'm going to stop here, because I myself can't really see where I'm going with this. I've just had the sudden urge to really post my thoughts on this, because it does indeed upset me somewhat that there's no real quality music being released. You could argue that it's all down to taste, but I used italics in the last bit for a reason.
It's true. The large majority of mainstream music released nowadays is completely crap. The music is not good. It really isn't.

And as I said, I'm done. The point I've poorly attempted to get across is indeed shrouded in a cloud of mutterings, but I dunno.

Meh.

And shock horror, a minute or so later and I feel compelled to make another point.

Towards the outro of Sinatra's version of Mack the Knife, he notes other great musicians that've done a version, and goes on to include names of the people performing (at which point when their name is mentioned, they perform a short ornament (a fancy bit)).
That's something else that's gone from the music. That touch. That something that's just so great about music. Now it's all manufactured - there's no human touch.
Bahhh. Expect some more in about 5 minutes...
Sat 19/06/04 at 15:41
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
The generic music released nowadays.

The whole music business has, quite frankly, gone to pot.
It's times like these that I wish the music released was as it was in the 40's through late 50's.

No crap electronics to synthesise everything about a song.
No talentless bints somehow earning millions.
No fact that money was completely dominating the industry.
Good, solid, thought provoking, emotionally moving music.

You just don't get the latter anymore. Glance at the charts, and practically every song will have had the lead singer's voice modified, tweaked, pitch shifted. The 'instruments' will be electrically created (electric drum beats etc).

This post is pretty much all over the place, because I don't know really how to define why I despise the music industry right now. There's just so many little things that I really hate, and I can't get that across enough.

I'm just listening to some Frank Sinatra songs.
And they're all gold. The lyrics, the masses of talented musicians playing the instruments, and of course the voice.

It's non existant nowadays. I suppose this post has potential to be massively long.
But it's odd. I can't really be bothered to, which is strange considering it's something I feel strongly about.

The musicians themselves. There's no characters whatsoever. They're all lifeless, demanding prima donnas.

Gah, I'm going to stop here, because I myself can't really see where I'm going with this. I've just had the sudden urge to really post my thoughts on this, because it does indeed upset me somewhat that there's no real quality music being released. You could argue that it's all down to taste, but I used italics in the last bit for a reason.
It's true. The large majority of mainstream music released nowadays is completely crap. The music is not good. It really isn't.

And as I said, I'm done. The point I've poorly attempted to get across is indeed shrouded in a cloud of mutterings, but I dunno.

Meh.

And shock horror, a minute or so later and I feel compelled to make another point.

Towards the outro of Sinatra's version of Mack the Knife, he notes other great musicians that've done a version, and goes on to include names of the people performing (at which point when their name is mentioned, they perform a short ornament (a fancy bit)).
That's something else that's gone from the music. That touch. That something that's just so great about music. Now it's all manufactured - there's no human touch.
Bahhh. Expect some more in about 5 minutes...
Sat 19/06/04 at 15:47
Regular
"Twenty quid."
There is a hell of a lot of white noise in the music industry nowadays. Unfortunately, the film industry seems to be going the same way: CGI taking priority over plot, dialogue and acting.

Frank Sinatra: Come Fly With Me is one of the greatest songs, ever, and incidentally was the second song I bought from the iTunes Music Store - Scorios by Adam & The Ants was the first and That's Just The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby And The Range was the third (which I'd forgotten existed until you mentioned it the other day).
Sat 19/06/04 at 15:49
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Aye.

And it's not just the music itself - it's everything about the whole damn industry.
Sat 19/06/04 at 15:54
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Simple answer.

Find music that you are passionate about, whether old or new and let the rest of the monkys listen to the crap in the charts.

saunters off to listen to Fleetwood Mac, yes thats right, Fleetwood mac
Sat 19/06/04 at 15:55
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I like Fleetwood Mac.
Sat 19/06/04 at 15:59
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
A Design for Life is one of my favourite songs.
:)
Sat 19/06/04 at 16:08
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Australia is my favourite Manic Street Preachers track, and it's very good live.
Sat 19/06/04 at 16:23
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Aye, really I just think it's a shame there are so many people missing out on a lot of good music because it doesn't get a multi-million dollar promotion deal. I can't remember what artist it was that saved me, but I'm eternally grateful for it - I too was once one of the minions of pop (albeit many years ago), but now very rarely listen to anything current - not out of some silly judgement and need to maintain principles, just because none of it is any good
Sat 19/06/04 at 16:24
Regular
"SOUP!"
The only "non-manufacutred" music nowadays is classical stuff (because lets face it, its hard to immitate) and a large chunk of rock.

Whilst it seems the rock genre is been invaded with synthesised non-musical boy bands like busted (who do NOT play their own instruments) there are still a lot of talented bands out there who play their own instruments and occasionally mess up live performances (proof they're not all dubbed like all pop music ever made is).

Dont give up hope just yet azul.
Sat 19/06/04 at 16:25
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yarr, salvation in rock. A lot of it is very image driven, but if you can see past some of that, there's still good stuff out there :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.