GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BIG BROTHER : BRAWL HAS BIG BROTHER GONE TO FAR?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/06/04 at 21:38
Regular
"56 000"
Earlier I read the newspaper and then I looked at Yahoo news and I copied it so you can read it.

Big Brother black out after brawl

LONDON (Reuters) - "Big Brother" was taken off air for 90 minutes early today after screaming housemates threatened to kill each other and had to be dragged apart by security guards.

Producers of the reality TV show said they pulled the plug when contestants pushed one another, hurled trays and unleashed a torrent of swearing.

Police said on Thursday they were examining the brawl.

"We've obtained a copy of the tape of last night's footage and we're looking at it with a view to seeing whether there's anything to take forward," said a spokeswoman for Hertfordshire police.

One contestant was physically sick from the shock after a food fight spiralled out of control.

Bodybuilder Jason Cowen, 30, screamed at 21-year-old student Marco Sabba: "I'll knock you out. I'll take your head off, end of story."

Legal administrator Emma Greenwood, 20, hurled insults at student Victor Ebuwa, 23, who replied: "Don't ever f*** with me Emma -- one warning, that's all. Get out of my face."

Student Vanessa Nimmo, 26, accused bank clerk Nadia Almada, 27, of calling her a **** and the pair traded insults.

The live feed on Channel 4 and digital channel E4 was cut from 1:20 a.m. (0020 GMT) to 3 a.m. on Thursday.

Viewers were shown an outside shot of the house as guards were called in for the first time in five series of the show.

"We are monitoring the situation closely," a Channel 4 spokeswoman said. "We are more concerned about their health and welfare than ratings."

Television watchdogs said the chaos marked a new low for reality TV shows desperate to attract viewers with ever more shocking scenes.

"They are really scraping the barrel by creating controversy," said John Beyer, director of Mediawatch, a TV standards campaign group. "I wish they'd take it off permanently."

There has already been nudity, the suggestion of sex and frequent argument on the show.

In a bid to attract audiences and counter accusations the formula has grown tired, its producers have deliberately tried to create a tense environment.

The slogan for the fifth series is "Big Brother Gets Evil" and among the original housemates were an aspiring glamour model, a political activist and a former asylum seeker.

They are made to perform a variety of tasks and contestants are evicted from the house each week in a public vote. The last one standing in seven weeks will win a prize of up to 100,000 pounds.

Any comments?
Is it on for TV shows to put people through this when they knew this kind of thing was gonna happen. I mean putting different personalities I mean very different personalities together is bound to cause this.

I THINK BIG BROTHER HAS GONE TOO FAR.HAVE YOU?
Mon 28/06/04 at 09:09
Regular
"Vodka Queen"
Flower power wrote:
I appreciate you don't like Bo Selecta but there could be an 'old
> school' programme that every one enjoys put there instead. Such as
> the Channel 4 classic Friends...repeats...still better than BB!

Flower. If Channel Four started to re-run friends from series one episode one. I would definately watch it being the friends groupie that i am. They could even start to re-run Frasier as i personally didnt watch it the first time around. Lets hope they do that after BB has finished
Sun 27/06/04 at 22:38
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Jesus, there's this women on E4 just now who's talking to Vanessa. She's flustering about as if she was talking to a major Hollywood star. It's pretty sad really.
Sun 27/06/04 at 20:59
Regular
Cong_Woman wrote:
> You say that flower power.. But what would channel four put on
> instead.. More Bo Selecta. No thank you. I would sooner have Big
> Brother on. As at times, its funny other its dull as dishwater.
> However i feel as though they should not have BB6 next year as its
> kinda getting boring. Maybe wait a year or so until putting the next
> series on.

Bo Selecta may not be the most ingenious series ever made but it still tops Big Brother by a long shot. The programmes focus is solely on the strange antics of the biggest bunch of losers I've ever seen in my entire life.
Channel 4 could reinstate one of the old 'classic' programmes they used to have, and destroy Big Brother once and for all. Nearly any programme slotted into Big Brother's position is better than it...I appreciate you don't like Bo Selecta but there could be an 'old school' programme that every one enjoys put there instead. Such as the Channel 4 classic Friends...repeats...still better than BB!
Sun 27/06/04 at 10:39
Regular
"Vodka Queen"
Flower power wrote:
> This perfectly good airtime is wasted by this terrible show!

You say that flower power.. But what would channel four put on instead.. More Bo Selecta. No thank you. I would sooner have Big Brother on. As at times, its funny other its dull as dishwater.
However i feel as though they should not have BB6 next year as its kinda getting boring. Maybe wait a year or so until putting the next series on.
Sat 26/06/04 at 22:29
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Tv nowadays isn't as good as it used to be in the past in my opinion anyway. TV execs seem to think all we want are reality shows, soaps and anything with a gay person in it prancing about like a prat.
Sat 26/06/04 at 22:06
Regular
This perfectly good airtime is wasted by this terrible show!
Sat 26/06/04 at 22:05
Regular
The series seems to only exist to give airtime to societies losers. With a misfit cast of gays, transexuals and freaks.
Sat 26/06/04 at 21:50
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Flower power wrote:
> A fantastic series....fantastic waste of time that is.

Very true
Sat 26/06/04 at 21:48
Regular
A fantastic series....fantastic waste of time that is.
Sat 26/06/04 at 15:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Light wrote:

> Okay, so what you're saying is...

That's your take on what i said. Please don't put words in my mouth i haven't said.

if a member of the public sees what
> they believe is an assault (and after C4 spent the whole day hyping
> up the 'brawl', I wonder how many people who watched it read a little
> more into the few pathetic girly slaps that were thrown...),

Have you watched the 'brawl' in question? If so you would realise a few pathetic girly slaps was all it was, like i've said i saw far more vicious fighting over the paints during my work experience at my old primary school. A thrown plate and then lots of 'I'm going to kill you' rubbish. Hardly a mass brawl needing a police presence.

and they
> contact the police, the police should then prosecute the person who
> contacted them because it didn't lead to an arrest? Or does this
> particular exemption only apply to things on TV? Are there different
> rules that should be applied to anything seen on a live tv feed? If
> so, what are they?

When you consider the show has not only cameras everywhere, a production team of people and security guards all around the place then yes in my opinion it is exempt. I don't know about where you live but if someone gets in a fight down the high street i don't see masses of production team people and security guards there to stop it and then preside over the people making sure nothing else happens. You can't compare real life situations to what is basically a protected television show environment. Are you really telling me the police don't have better things to do then investigate some pathetic tv show?

If we kept calling the police every time we saw some violence on the tv, they'd have no time to be out with their speed guns :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.