GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Xbox power leads - proving faulty hardware?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/02/05 at 03:42
"High polygon count"
Got my new cable through today (well, yesterday now).

What a hideous contraption! Big black box in the middle of it, with TEST and RESET buttons.

It seems like the problem is actually with the Xbox consoles themselves, and not the cable at all.

First off, I wondered... how could a company as big as MS c**k up a simple power lead? A plug, some wire, and the connector - how can you get it wrong? Even if it was the lead, a simple like-for-like replacement would do the trick.

With this new box half-way up the lead, and with what's printed in the manual that comes with it, it seems more likely that the consoles themselves are faulty - at least the early models. I quote:

"Your Xbox console may be susceptible to electrical problems which can cause damage or fire within the console. Even though the Xbox console is designed to keep fire from spreading outsde the console, Microsoft recommends that you always use the Xbox Protection Cord with your console to further reduce the risk."

To me, this seems to indicate that the hardware itself is faulty, and not simply the cable as has been advertised/reported. If Xbox is "designed to keep fire from spreading outside the console", does that not imply that they had fires with development models?

Do new Xboxes come with this contraption on the power lead?
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:20
Regular
"member of dogg poun"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Got my new cable through today (well, yesterday now).
>
> What a hideous contraption! Big black box in the middle of it, with
> TEST and RESET buttons.
>
> It seems like the problem is actually with the Xbox consoles
> themselves, and not the cable at all.
>
> First off, I wondered... how could a company as big as MS ck up a
> simple power lead? A plug, some wire, and the connector - how can
> you get it wrong? Even if it was the lead, a simple like-for-like
> replacement would do the trick.
>
> With this new box half-way up the lead, and with what's printed in
> the manual that comes with it, it seems more likely that the consoles
> themselves are faulty - at least the early models. I quote:
>
> "Your Xbox console may be susceptible to electrical problems
> which can cause damage or fire within the console. Even though the
> Xbox console is designed to keep fire from spreading outsde the
> console, Microsoft recommends that you always use the Xbox Protection
> Cord with your console to further reduce the risk."

>
> To me, this seems to indicate that the hardware itself is faulty, and
> not simply the cable as has been advertised/reported. If Xbox is
> "designed to keep fire from spreading outside the console",
> does that not imply that they had fires with development models?
>
> Do new Xboxes come with this contraption on the power lead?

To ALL the Xbox fans who think Bill Gates has manufactured the most 'amazing consoles'... All he wants to do is take your money and burn your house down!
Fri 25/02/05 at 16:12
"High polygon count"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Mine was made before 2004, but I can't be bothered to get a new lead.
>
> It hasn't blown up yet, so I figure it probably never will.

The problem is (apparently) caused by faulty solders in the PSU. As solder can deteriorate over time, you'd probably be wise to get one, mate.
Fri 25/02/05 at 16:11
"High polygon count"
Stridman wrote:
> Why is there a ruler next to it?

I'd just done some packing for eBay and used it to measure some card I had to cut!
Fri 25/02/05 at 15:19
Regular
"8==="
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Mine was made before 2004, but I can't be bothered to get a new lead.
>
> It hasn't blown up yet, so I figure it probably never will.

Ditto. I'm not unlucky enoughto be the 1 in 10,000.

*touches wood* ;)
Fri 25/02/05 at 15:17
Regular
": ("
Why is there a ruler next to it?

That is a pretty beefy power cord, the new slimline PS2s have a similar one to that too.
Fri 25/02/05 at 15:14
"High polygon count"
This is the new cable - sorry about the picture, but it's from my mobile as my digital camera battery isn't charged.

[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/toxic_waster/Xbox_cable.jpg[/URL]
Fri 25/02/05 at 13:25
Regular
"Touched!"
I got the letter today. I'm sticking with my current cable (s) if the new one is massive. Considering how long I've had my 2003 model and how much play it's had it would have happened by now I rekon.
Fri 25/02/05 at 13:20
"High polygon count"
I got a letter today also - AFTER receiving the new cord!

It basically admits that there is a fault with the console:

"Microsoft has chosen to replace the power cords on Xbox consoles manufactured before October 2003. Our records indicate that you may own one of these consoles.

We are providing replacement power cords because component failure in a small number of consoles - less than 1 in 10,000 - has caused burning inside the console or melting of the power cord where it connects to the console."

Which in my view means that MS should be replacing the consoles, not the power lead.

Combined with taking three years to discover the problem and let people know, it could be damaging for MS.

My Xbox has been disconnected since I found out about this issue, and I haven't plugged the new cable in yet. I'm thinking I may just sell the machine on - but how do you sell a potential fire hazard?!
Fri 25/02/05 at 12:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
CBA

If it blows up, it blows up.

I never leave it on anyway.
Fri 25/02/05 at 12:16
Regular
": ("
I got a letter about it today and I sold my Xbox a few months ago, hope the buyers don't phone me up because the Xbox blew up.

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.