GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Xbox power leads - proving faulty hardware?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/02/05 at 03:42
"High polygon count"
Got my new cable through today (well, yesterday now).

What a hideous contraption! Big black box in the middle of it, with TEST and RESET buttons.

It seems like the problem is actually with the Xbox consoles themselves, and not the cable at all.

First off, I wondered... how could a company as big as MS c**k up a simple power lead? A plug, some wire, and the connector - how can you get it wrong? Even if it was the lead, a simple like-for-like replacement would do the trick.

With this new box half-way up the lead, and with what's printed in the manual that comes with it, it seems more likely that the consoles themselves are faulty - at least the early models. I quote:

"Your Xbox console may be susceptible to electrical problems which can cause damage or fire within the console. Even though the Xbox console is designed to keep fire from spreading outsde the console, Microsoft recommends that you always use the Xbox Protection Cord with your console to further reduce the risk."

To me, this seems to indicate that the hardware itself is faulty, and not simply the cable as has been advertised/reported. If Xbox is "designed to keep fire from spreading outside the console", does that not imply that they had fires with development models?

Do new Xboxes come with this contraption on the power lead?
Mon 28/02/05 at 19:46
"possibly impossible"
I got mine, but it was a Euro plug (2 pin) instead of a UK one. Nice. Apparently, a load of people who ordered it on the website were sent the wrong plug.

New one coming soon though...
Mon 28/02/05 at 19:27
Regular
"Touched!"
gr13ve wrote:
> mines didnt have a "test and reset" thing, just same as old
> one except it had a sticker on it

Same one as I got today. Glad it wasn't the bloody huge thing!
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:36
Regular
"hulagadoo"
mines didnt have a "test and reset" thing, just same as old one except it had a sticker on it
Mon 28/02/05 at 16:51
Regular
"Ruddie1"
I got the ugly one too its huuuuuuuuuge!
Mon 28/02/05 at 11:01
Regular
damn, i got the ugly looking one with the test and reset button in the post today :(
Sat 26/02/05 at 21:13
Regular
Microsoft claim it to be an electrical fault. Most likely to do with power surges.

The box on the cable protects against power surges by physically cutting the power if it does surge.

Yes, it may be a fault with the 1 in 10000 Xboxs, but the replacement power cable is designed to protect against the fault.

As for the comment re the fire hazard. It is a safety design, a preventative, not a 'when it catches fire' thing. It's like fire doors in public buildings are designed to prevent the spread of fires. The building isn't designed to burn.
Sat 26/02/05 at 10:59
Regular
"Ruddie1"
I've gpt 2 Xbox's 1 a launch one and a new Crystal 1. Both cables look the same??? My old Xbox needs one ordered it a while ago still not had it, tho i did get an email today saying its been shipped i hope it isnt that big black box! its nasty as hell
Sat 26/02/05 at 10:45
Regular
"good news everyone"
I got my power lead today, my power lead does not look any diferent from my old power lead, it does not have the box on it with a reset button so they must be giving out diferent leads depending on when your xbox as made.
Sat 26/02/05 at 02:03
"I love yo... lamp."
A power cord could feck up as you put it Niddle if it hasn't been properly made. However if it was as simple as that then they could replace them with cords of a similar style.

I've been trying to come up with a way that this new style cable could prevent any problems with the power supply if it is what's at fault. Yet I can't think of anything, bar of course the box bit having some sort of sensor that just cuts power when it thinks you Xbox might go on fire.

Highly bizarre. I may disassemble it and the Xbox to have a better look.
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:33
"slightlyshortertagl"
Oh my God, that thing is hideous.

And to be honest, the whole power lead thing is a big cover-up by MS, Power cords CANNOT feck up, I have about 5 of the same leads hanging around the house, and it's basically the standard.

MS fecked up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.