GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming magazines"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/02/05 at 17:00
Regular
I've recently been reading a few gaming magazines and I'd like to do a small rant.

For starters anyone claiming NGC is "losing" its touch deserves a slap. The latest issue, although slightly short and lacking in many news and previews is superb. Leon as an editor is rather comical, EndGC was excellent yet again and what of the review scores?

Well the main complaint I see comes from Mario Power Tennis, if you read the review you'll see NGC are aware of the slack the game recieves and defends the "special moves" and said the fault is well overrated and due mainly to the crazy world of the internet.

I also had a gander through the latest issue of GamesTM and I was delighted to see a nice bar chart showing the "profit" the big 3 games companies are making out of their gaming bussiness. It seems both Sony and Nintendo took a knock last year whilst Microsoft, for the first time, reported a profit. A bar chart of the last 3 years were shown and the biggest bar was Nintendo's. I always knew Nintendo made the most profit due mainly to the mass of software they publish but it's nice to see that fact advertised in a gaming magazine.

IGNcube Editor Matt could do with reading that little fact. Poor Nintendo, they only made a net profit of $87 million, billion, quazillon last year.

Resident Evil 4 scores? GamesTM: 9/10 and Edge: 9/10, shame I was hoping for the perfect 10. But NGC's 97% was nice to see, next to Metroid Prime and Zelda in the score ration and what a superb 16 page review.

Wario Ware seems to finally be taking off, it is becoming a talking point for Nintendo fans and the recent sales in Japan indicate that Wario Ware touch is poised to outsell Mario 64 DS. Nice. It is also the main first party launch title for the DS. Such a simple game doing so well. Perhaps rightly so, after all between June 2003 and June 2005 (that's 2 years for those not so good on the maths front) there will have been 4 Wario Ware games published. Each one unique in their own right.

Nintendo are sueing again. After chuckling at the "Nintendo law suits" in the latest issue of NGC (I still find it funny that Nintendo not only proved Donkey Kong isn't King Kong but MGM don't own license anyway) I am delighted to see another "your character looks like our character debate". Hover over to some game website of your choice and see if cel-link looks anything like the character in a new Cel-shaded MMORPG.

Anyone got NBA Street Volume 3? Do you recommend it?

Looking forward to finally buying Mario Power Tennis, might order it from him.

Now I'm just saying anything.

Better stop.

Ta ta.
Fri 25/02/05 at 21:26
Regular
"gsybe you!"
That's what I was thinkin'
Fri 25/02/05 at 21:25
Regular
Tomoose wrote:
> [URL]http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=13095[/URL]
>
> Looks pretty damn similar to me.

That has to be one of the most obvious rip-offs ever.
Fri 25/02/05 at 20:34
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Resi 4 should get 10/10, easily.

97% well deserved.
Fri 25/02/05 at 20:25
Regular
"Long time no see!"
GameCentral gave It's Mr.Pants! something 1/10, yet NGC somehow gave it 4/5 in the latest issue, despite some of the comments...

Or was this just in my magazine? :S

If not, and this isn't some terrible, terrible mistake, this takes their RARE butt-licking to a whole new level indeed!

With my great loss for gaming recently though, I do still enjoy subscribing to their magazine, just to keep me informed. :)
Fri 25/02/05 at 20:22
Regular
"thursdayton!"
SnoopDogg wrote:
> Magazines are stupid because they cost so much money and teletext has
> the latest games news for free!

Free, yet written by Dave Gibbon.
Fri 25/02/05 at 20:22
Regular
"The definitive tag"
SnoopDogg wrote:

Teletext is worse than Gamezville *shudders*.
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:39
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
SnoopDogg wrote:

Haha.

Teletext games pages are crap. Reviewed by idiots for idiots. Looking for something better than magazines? Internet. Which is about 6 billion times better than Teletext for gaming coverage.
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:22
Regular
"the burning sky"
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo are sueing again. After chuckling at the "Nintendo law
> suits" in the latest issue of NGC (I still find it funny that
> Nintendo not only proved Donkey Kong isn't King Kong but MGM don't
> own license anyway) I am delighted to see another "your
> character looks like our character debate". Hover over to some
> game website of your choice and see if cel-link looks anything like
> the character in a new Cel-shaded MMORPG.

[URL]http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=13095[/URL]

Looks pretty damn similar to me.
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:05
Regular
"the whites are goin"
ye......
Fri 25/02/05 at 19:02
Regular
"member of dogg poun"
Magazines are stupid because they cost so much money and teletext has the latest games news for free!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.