GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming magazines"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/02/05 at 17:00
Regular
I've recently been reading a few gaming magazines and I'd like to do a small rant.

For starters anyone claiming NGC is "losing" its touch deserves a slap. The latest issue, although slightly short and lacking in many news and previews is superb. Leon as an editor is rather comical, EndGC was excellent yet again and what of the review scores?

Well the main complaint I see comes from Mario Power Tennis, if you read the review you'll see NGC are aware of the slack the game recieves and defends the "special moves" and said the fault is well overrated and due mainly to the crazy world of the internet.

I also had a gander through the latest issue of GamesTM and I was delighted to see a nice bar chart showing the "profit" the big 3 games companies are making out of their gaming bussiness. It seems both Sony and Nintendo took a knock last year whilst Microsoft, for the first time, reported a profit. A bar chart of the last 3 years were shown and the biggest bar was Nintendo's. I always knew Nintendo made the most profit due mainly to the mass of software they publish but it's nice to see that fact advertised in a gaming magazine.

IGNcube Editor Matt could do with reading that little fact. Poor Nintendo, they only made a net profit of $87 million, billion, quazillon last year.

Resident Evil 4 scores? GamesTM: 9/10 and Edge: 9/10, shame I was hoping for the perfect 10. But NGC's 97% was nice to see, next to Metroid Prime and Zelda in the score ration and what a superb 16 page review.

Wario Ware seems to finally be taking off, it is becoming a talking point for Nintendo fans and the recent sales in Japan indicate that Wario Ware touch is poised to outsell Mario 64 DS. Nice. It is also the main first party launch title for the DS. Such a simple game doing so well. Perhaps rightly so, after all between June 2003 and June 2005 (that's 2 years for those not so good on the maths front) there will have been 4 Wario Ware games published. Each one unique in their own right.

Nintendo are sueing again. After chuckling at the "Nintendo law suits" in the latest issue of NGC (I still find it funny that Nintendo not only proved Donkey Kong isn't King Kong but MGM don't own license anyway) I am delighted to see another "your character looks like our character debate". Hover over to some game website of your choice and see if cel-link looks anything like the character in a new Cel-shaded MMORPG.

Anyone got NBA Street Volume 3? Do you recommend it?

Looking forward to finally buying Mario Power Tennis, might order it from him.

Now I'm just saying anything.

Better stop.

Ta ta.
Mon 28/02/05 at 21:13
Regular
"kill my enemys"
used to get loads of gamesmasters untill it was basically all ps2 and xbox so started getting ngc.its good im subscribing but i wanted that ngc bag but i was one day late!
Mon 28/02/05 at 17:29
Regular
Strafio wrote:

> So it seems.
> Dringo is now half my source for Nintendo information! :-D.

Why I thank you.

I do like NGC, some of their previews can overhype and more often than not underhype games. But their reviews are funny and spot on. Most of the time.
Mon 28/02/05 at 00:42
Regular
"thursdayton!"
RIP Digitiser. Genuinely funny games journalism.
Sun 27/02/05 at 23:10
Regular
NGC were always decent, but I never fully trusted them.
A bit like CVG, a great source of game information and screenshots, but always managed to butter up and game that you "could" like, into a game that you "would" like and so often ended up overhyping games or making me want games that would disappoint through pure incompatability.

So I'll never fully trust them.

AfroJoe wrote:
> Teletext games pages are crap. Reviewed by idiots for idiots. Looking
> for something better than magazines?

You see, there was one place I could be sure I could trust.
Digitiser were great back in the day.
There was that period between 1997 and the beginning of 2002.
They seemed to be losing a slight edge... but I didn't mind. But I stopped reading for a while because I was spending more time playing games...

I come back a year later and it's still there in some shape or form, but all the character that made it great was gone. Once there was a 'zine with views and opinions I knew I could fully trust.
They were the few that wouldn't overrate Tombraider 3 and Tekken 3 and caught onto what many of the magazines wouldn't catch on until later - major franchises COULD get stale.

But that 5 golden years of authority seem to be over.

> Internet. Which is about 6
> billion times better than Teletext for gaming coverage.

So it seems.
Dringo is now half my source for Nintendo information! :-D
Sun 27/02/05 at 21:15
Regular
"Great with butter"
chatterbox wrote:
> All gaming magasines are overpriced and come with cruddy free stuff.

Enter NOM, the mighty culprit. Nintendo fridge magnets anyone?

Something a little more practical would be a bit better - Dvd's are now lacking quite heavily, but to be honest, there isn't really much else that can be given away for free.

Free games would be nice though.
Sun 27/02/05 at 17:32
Regular
"Underbean"
All gaming magasines are overpriced and come with cruddy free stuff.
Sun 27/02/05 at 16:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Tomoose wrote:
> [URL]http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=13095[/URL]
>
> Looks pretty damn similar to me.

Man that's just awful. Surely they could have come up with their own game/character.
Sun 27/02/05 at 16:13
Regular
"spongemycarpetydont"
OK, back to Mags, who got star letter in NGC?
Fri 25/02/05 at 23:46
"period drama"
Rickoss wrote:
> Tomoose wrote:
> [URL]http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=13095[/URL]
>
> Looks pretty damn similar to me.
>
> That has to be one of the most obvious rip-offs ever.

Indeed. Made me laff.
Idiot people.

Yeah, just stretch his stomach out a little bit. There we go, looks nothing like him.
Fri 25/02/05 at 23:25
Regular
Solskjær wrote:

> If not, and this isn't some terrible, terrible
> mistake, this takes their RARE butt-licking to a whole new level
> indeed!

They say Banjo Pilot is shoddy and It's Mr Pants is good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.