GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Alien Vs. Predator - Horror Francise turned Action Film - my thoughts."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/06/04 at 12:13
Regular
"S.T.A.R.S."
DISCLAIMER

Before many of you read the following I want to point out a couple of things. Yes, it's true - i'm not that big a fan of Paul Anderson, but I try and get behind him when I can, for instance I own both Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon. I see them as watchable movies, with some very good moments within them. When Anderson was signed up for Resident Evil, I was initially pleased, it wasn't until I saw what direction he took the story when I became weary, when I saw the final product I was mortified. So take note, I tried. Alien's VS. Predator however was a concept I never liked in the first place outside the video games or the comics, as a film I thought it would be a disaster, when Anderson was signed up for this I wasn't convinced any further, and again when I read the plot that was it. They took everything that came before, the concept of Predators for instance, and threw it out of the window (by this I mean that Predators, as stated in the first two movies only ever go where it's the hottest). I'm a huge Aliens and Predator fan, so there is bias here, if you get offended easily or know where I am coming from, just skip this post - you've been warned.

This is a link to the trailer.

[URL]http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/internet_exclusive/large.html[/URL]

Isn't it me, or are trailers supposed to make you want to see a movie? Though I obviously can't comment on the final product, this trailer doesn't so much speak to me telling me to not see this movie, but to just boycott everything about it. Alien and Predators are concepts cemented into the history of cinema now and yet it seems that this just misses the point so spectacularly. The music for instance!? What the hell is this about? In the same way that the Resident Evil film should of never had a metal soundtrack, it just shouldn't, it's like applying orchestral music to Freddy Vs. Jason, it's a complete opposite of what should of been. I only hope that the music in the trailer doesn't make it to the final movie (and before anyone even bothers, i'm well aware this was shown as part of an MTV thing, which quite easily explains the music, but given Anderson's previous track record, you gotta understand where i'm coming from).

The Predators, I personally (note: personally) don't like the new masks with the mouth like design on, I think it makes them look way too technical and scientific now and less 'tribal' as the Predators did before, and I really don't like the way they move, when the Predator grabs the chestburster (shocking awful moment) it looks ridiculous, it's like they hired a Power Rangers actor or something to move his arms cheesily with direct movements, robotic like. Again, someone, without going into expanded universe nonscene which doesn't count in movie timelines, explain to me why Predators are in the antarctic, despite the fact where they only go when it's the hottest. I really don't like the super-extended-wrist blades now either.

The less said about what we've seen from the acting in the trailer - the better, though we've not seen Peter Weller, Lance Henrickson or Colin Salmon yet so i'm still hopeful that at least the acting is good (the cast was the best thing about Event Horizon for instance).

The film, from what we've seen - is too damn bright, and too many colours. This was where Alien Reserrection failed in one way for me, it was too just damn well lit, and robbed the movie of any tension whatsoever. Though Alien3 wasn't the best movie of all time, I nonetheless thought that dodgy CGI aside, it had really good suspense and fantastic lighting. Having actually worked on lighting before on a set, I can understand how too much light destroys any dramatic effect needed, and though obviously that's absolutely no comparison it's worth pointing out. The trailers to Alien and Aliens were fantastically dark, and really held your interest because of what we didn't see.

Complaints put aside, the Alien effects (apart from the chest burster), look stunning and I am for one relieved to discover the movie isn't a CG fest, the suits, despite based on the Reserrection design and the shuddery lip the first time we see it on the trailer, are of a high quality which is re-assuring to see. One could of only wondered what Stan Winston could of done on this project - but alas.

That's all I'll say for now, probably boiled a few people's blood on this forum but you gotta me the fact that I constructively crticised the trailer and veered away from the usual criticism I often offer with a Paul Anderson movie. I think the main thing I still despise about this movie is the story, and though the leaks i've read on the intraweb aren't a reflection of the finished project, they are indication, a template of what will finally be on that screen. I think to the masses this film will do loads of money and will spawn more Aliens and Predator movies, I think to really hardcore fanbase there will be dissapointment however, but I guess at the end of the day if you can tolerate Alien Reserrection then this isn't going to be anything new. Horror classics turned into what looks like an action fest. Still - it's early musings yet and I am only analysing a trailer - I'll wait for the films release for the final verdict so don't think I'm being unfair, note how i've not criticised the mise-en-scene or pacing, action or direction just yet - just the conceptual stuff we've got here.

Thank You.

Ty^
Sun 13/06/04 at 23:14
Regular
"That's right!"
Alien tends to bore me sometimes, just because I know who gets killed, where and when. At least Aliens has some action to keep my simple mind busy.
Sun 13/06/04 at 22:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The Aliens were never Horror films, the same goes for Predator.

Alien/s etc is definitly sci-fi horror.
Sun 13/06/04 at 22:46
Regular
"That's right!"
First Alien was a horror film, Aliens was sci fi action horror, Alien 3 was sort of in the middle and the less said about number 4, the better.

But this film will suck. Aside from the initial "ooh" of seeing aliens and predators on screen together it'll be by the numbers crap, rehasing Aliens all over again but a tenth as good.

Like you said, even the trailer is awful.
Sun 13/06/04 at 15:56
Regular
"Teal'c"
cRaCkHeAd wrote:
> Alien trilogy was one of the scariest movie of all time.
> AND Predator that scare really bad.

A bigger lie has never been told.
Sun 13/06/04 at 15:10
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
I enjoyed the first one.

*strokes MK DVD*
Sun 13/06/04 at 15:03
Regular
Event Horizon was excellent.

Both Mortal Kombat films were absolutely dire, and should be removed from the planet. Mortal Kombat Annihilation is probably my most hated film of all time, and that's against stiff competition (Jean Claude van Jackass).

So we'll have to wait and see just what becomes of what should rightfully be the best movie concept in a long while.
Sat 12/06/04 at 20:49
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Alien trilogy was one of the scariest movie of all time.
AND Predator that scare really bad.
Sat 12/06/04 at 12:43
Regular
The Aliens were never Horror films, the same goes for Predator.
Sat 12/06/04 at 12:13
Regular
"S.T.A.R.S."
DISCLAIMER

Before many of you read the following I want to point out a couple of things. Yes, it's true - i'm not that big a fan of Paul Anderson, but I try and get behind him when I can, for instance I own both Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon. I see them as watchable movies, with some very good moments within them. When Anderson was signed up for Resident Evil, I was initially pleased, it wasn't until I saw what direction he took the story when I became weary, when I saw the final product I was mortified. So take note, I tried. Alien's VS. Predator however was a concept I never liked in the first place outside the video games or the comics, as a film I thought it would be a disaster, when Anderson was signed up for this I wasn't convinced any further, and again when I read the plot that was it. They took everything that came before, the concept of Predators for instance, and threw it out of the window (by this I mean that Predators, as stated in the first two movies only ever go where it's the hottest). I'm a huge Aliens and Predator fan, so there is bias here, if you get offended easily or know where I am coming from, just skip this post - you've been warned.

This is a link to the trailer.

[URL]http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/internet_exclusive/large.html[/URL]

Isn't it me, or are trailers supposed to make you want to see a movie? Though I obviously can't comment on the final product, this trailer doesn't so much speak to me telling me to not see this movie, but to just boycott everything about it. Alien and Predators are concepts cemented into the history of cinema now and yet it seems that this just misses the point so spectacularly. The music for instance!? What the hell is this about? In the same way that the Resident Evil film should of never had a metal soundtrack, it just shouldn't, it's like applying orchestral music to Freddy Vs. Jason, it's a complete opposite of what should of been. I only hope that the music in the trailer doesn't make it to the final movie (and before anyone even bothers, i'm well aware this was shown as part of an MTV thing, which quite easily explains the music, but given Anderson's previous track record, you gotta understand where i'm coming from).

The Predators, I personally (note: personally) don't like the new masks with the mouth like design on, I think it makes them look way too technical and scientific now and less 'tribal' as the Predators did before, and I really don't like the way they move, when the Predator grabs the chestburster (shocking awful moment) it looks ridiculous, it's like they hired a Power Rangers actor or something to move his arms cheesily with direct movements, robotic like. Again, someone, without going into expanded universe nonscene which doesn't count in movie timelines, explain to me why Predators are in the antarctic, despite the fact where they only go when it's the hottest. I really don't like the super-extended-wrist blades now either.

The less said about what we've seen from the acting in the trailer - the better, though we've not seen Peter Weller, Lance Henrickson or Colin Salmon yet so i'm still hopeful that at least the acting is good (the cast was the best thing about Event Horizon for instance).

The film, from what we've seen - is too damn bright, and too many colours. This was where Alien Reserrection failed in one way for me, it was too just damn well lit, and robbed the movie of any tension whatsoever. Though Alien3 wasn't the best movie of all time, I nonetheless thought that dodgy CGI aside, it had really good suspense and fantastic lighting. Having actually worked on lighting before on a set, I can understand how too much light destroys any dramatic effect needed, and though obviously that's absolutely no comparison it's worth pointing out. The trailers to Alien and Aliens were fantastically dark, and really held your interest because of what we didn't see.

Complaints put aside, the Alien effects (apart from the chest burster), look stunning and I am for one relieved to discover the movie isn't a CG fest, the suits, despite based on the Reserrection design and the shuddery lip the first time we see it on the trailer, are of a high quality which is re-assuring to see. One could of only wondered what Stan Winston could of done on this project - but alas.

That's all I'll say for now, probably boiled a few people's blood on this forum but you gotta me the fact that I constructively crticised the trailer and veered away from the usual criticism I often offer with a Paul Anderson movie. I think the main thing I still despise about this movie is the story, and though the leaks i've read on the intraweb aren't a reflection of the finished project, they are indication, a template of what will finally be on that screen. I think to the masses this film will do loads of money and will spawn more Aliens and Predator movies, I think to really hardcore fanbase there will be dissapointment however, but I guess at the end of the day if you can tolerate Alien Reserrection then this isn't going to be anything new. Horror classics turned into what looks like an action fest. Still - it's early musings yet and I am only analysing a trailer - I'll wait for the films release for the final verdict so don't think I'm being unfair, note how i've not criticised the mise-en-scene or pacing, action or direction just yet - just the conceptual stuff we've got here.

Thank You.

Ty^

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.