GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Sony know best, you Nintendo retards'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/02/05 at 23:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
'With all their multifunctionality, they can't possibly lose!'

Macintosh, circa all the f**king time.

Sony has discontinued the PSX.
Sun 27/02/05 at 19:23
"period drama"
Dear confused people (aka idiots),

The original Playstation was codenamed PSX in development. Most people held onto this during the console's lifespan to keep things short and sweet. Then the PSone came out, so most people (aka idiots) called it that instead.

The PSX in question has nothing to do with the original Playsation. It is (was) supposed to be a super-special PS2 with all kinds of extra stuff - big hard discs, and disc-writing stuff, I think.

However, Sony decided to pull out most of the special features on it, so everyone who had pre-ordered it got angry. It didn't sell. It won't be coming out outside of Japan.

fin.
Sun 27/02/05 at 17:38
Regular
"Underbean"
How do sony know better know better, Nintendo is old enough to be sonys great great grand father, and nintendo are dedicated on gaming and nothing else while sony are dedicated to anything which will make them a few squillion bucks!
Sun 27/02/05 at 17:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
pwned
Sun 27/02/05 at 17:25
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Macintosh wrote:
> Like, why is iPod better than other hard disc based mp3 players?

That's a difficult one, since it isn't.
Also, doesn't the iPod actually convert everything to AAC?
Sun 27/02/05 at 17:22
Regular
"and PC user"
MrGlitch wrote:
> You're all sick!
> Give me twenty reasons why Sony better than Nintendo!

Why does it have to be 20 reasons. What if there were only 2 reasons, but they were really, really good reaons?

Like, why is iPod better than other hard disc based mp3 players?

Why is a BMW more desireable than a Ford?
Sun 27/02/05 at 16:08
Regular
"spongemycarpetydont"
You're all sick!
Give me twenty reasons why Sony better than Nintendo!
Sun 27/02/05 at 15:52
Regular
"Pwned"
Cid Vilante wrote:
> Drexyl wrote:
> Was the orignial Playstation ever even called PSX?
>
> I believe that it was the name that the original Playstation was
> developed under. Simliar to how there was the Nintendo Dolphin which
> later became the Gamecube if I remember correctly.

The 'Nintendo Dolphin' was just the project name for the Gamecube, it was never going to be the actual console's name. Similarly, the project name for the N64 was 'Project Reality'
Sun 27/02/05 at 15:49
Regular
"and PC user"
Cycloon wrote:
> 'With all their multifunctionality, they can't possibly lose!'
>
> Macintosh, circa all the f**king time.
>
> Sony has discontinued the PSX.

I didnt think this was new news? The multimedia center device which allowed full internet access (like a pc), plus dvd, and Playstation was simply not a hit with the public. No one knew what it was, although thats not really the fault of the hardware. If Sony pushed the system on to our tv's, radio, print, more people would have known what it was, so more people might have wanted one. But even then, it was quite expensive - like nearly £500, so the arguement goes that if your going to spend nearly £500 on a PlayStation "nearly pc", you might just as well buy a cut price PC (or even a cheap eMac or Mini Mac) for the same sort of money.

So there is a fine line between providing a games machine that can do a few other things, like play a few movie discs, or music cd's, and providing a full blown, expensive device which simply duplicates what a cut price computer can do.

I still stand by me theory that dvd movie playback was a popular feature on PS2. Even now, I dont know many people who prefer to view a movie on their computers compared with their large screen tv - and certainly at the time of PS2 launch, this would have been even less common place. DVD also means more data storage, so games could be larger.

As for the original "brick" Playstation (thats the "PS") which was later restyled into "PS1", I am not sure if Sony still make it or not. Must be near the end of its life now. Maybe if they do that, and PS3 is not far away, the PS2 will get a price drop.
Sat 26/02/05 at 23:36
"Tesco value"
I hope he's killed by a rogue flying UMD
Sat 26/02/05 at 23:12
Regular
"I'm Great."
Drexyl wrote:
> Was the orignial Playstation ever even called PSX?

I believe that it was the name that the original Playstation was developed under. Simliar to how there was the Nintendo Dolphin which later became the Gamecube if I remember correctly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.