GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVB-T Tv Card Problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/06/04 at 12:33
Regular
Hi guys

I have just recieved my AverMedia DVB-T Tv card from OCUK but for some reason i cannot get it to work, I have only tried it at work with a seperate antenna but according to the software there is no signal strenth so it does not find a picture, Has anyone used this? what am i doing wrong as i have heard it is a pretty good card.

Thanks
Colin
Wed 09/06/04 at 23:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yeah, i shouldnt have bought the cheapest one amazon have.

I should phone tech support about it, but i cant be bothered.
Wed 09/06/04 at 22:02
Regular
"Digging!"
tigamilla wrote:
> AMD_MAN wrote:
> Cheers Sly, but surely if the signal is broadcasting in area's
> around
> me then i should be able to pick it up?
>
> Colin
>
> I had that problem with a similar card, check the aerial. I had to
> buy a more modern TV top aerial capable of receiving a wider
> frequency spectrum, apparently a lot of old aerials whilst providing
> awesome analogue reception simply aren't able to pick up the
> frequencies that freeview is broadcast on.
>
> I had to get a signal booster as well.

I was going to say have you got a wide band ariel, otherwise it won't work.

cookie monster wrote:
> I can recieve freeview, i have an actual box instead of a card though,
> my box is a piece of rubbish though.
>
> Dont buy a sagem ITD602.

The Sony VTX-D800U is top stuff, don't own one myself (trying to change that, but its an uphill struggle with my parents and technology sometimes) but having used one in the sony centre twas smashing.
Wed 09/06/04 at 18:35
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Cheers Sly, but surely if the signal is broadcasting in area's around
> me then i should be able to pick it up?
>
> Colin

I had that problem with a similar card, check the aerial. I had to buy a more modern TV top aerial capable of receiving a wider frequency spectrum, apparently a lot of old aerials whilst providing awesome analogue reception simply aren't able to pick up the frequencies that freeview is broadcast on.

I had to get a signal booster as well.
Wed 09/06/04 at 17:23
Regular
ill try it on my machine at home and see what luck i have, cheers for the help so far guys.

Colin
Wed 09/06/04 at 17:07
Regular
"YTS Primate"
I’m no expert in this but you are hard wired with NTL for both the Internet and TV reception to the distribution centre that could be far away

There is another system. DVB-C where the C stands for cable.

With DVB-T you are receiving a signal going to your aerial in much the same way as a mobile phone. Phone works fine then you drive down a hill and in the dip no signal.

It does seem strange with DVB-T that large areas are covered out in the sticks. Then an area with a high-density population which is NTL enabled is not. May be a clue in that.
Wed 09/06/04 at 16:13
Regular
Cheers Sly, but surely if the signal is broadcasting in area's around me then i should be able to pick it up?

Colin
Wed 09/06/04 at 15:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I can recieve freeview, i have an actual box instead of a card though, my box is a piece of rubbish though.

Dont buy a sagem ITD602.
Wed 09/06/04 at 15:03
Regular
"YTS Primate"
NTL,s box outside is connected by cable back to the distribution centre which has satellite dishes all over the roof so in that respect its much the same as having sky.

DVB-T. The T stands for terrestrial, which requires an aerial of the type bolted to the chimney. If FreeView doesn’t send out signals to that area the aerial can’t pick them up.
Wed 09/06/04 at 14:12
Regular
On the freeview site it says i cannot recieve freeview but this card also says that it support UHF and VHF which is surely the same signal as average terestrial, I have NTL plumbed into my flat and can have sky digital so i cannot see why i can't have freeview, my tv is on the ntl cable from the box outside and that has a signal?

Colin
Wed 09/06/04 at 13:45
Regular
"Digging!"
Use the BBC checker to, as that shows whether you can get BBC signal.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.