GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting into writing?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/06/04 at 23:16
Regular
GET YOUR SHORT STORY PUBLISHED! [URL] http://www.wetrybutwefail.com [/URL]

Kidding, unfortunately.

I'm trying to work out what the hell I want to do with my life, and I'm considering trying to become one of these author type people, or a writer, or something like that. I'm still very much interested in animation, but hell, I've got so much experience in writing, I shouldn't let it go to waste, or whatever.

So er, yes. Meka or Paradox might know about this, it's probably just a case of contacting publishers... but any other advice, otherwise? Anyone know of good websites, stuff to look for?

All help will be repaid in blood/flesh in the afterlife.
Mon 07/06/04 at 11:10
Regular
"SOUP!"
Forward Press are the folks who published my poem - they also publish some short stories but all are in anthology form - so you're not going to get a showcase of your work published unfortunately. Their website is www.forwardpress.com - you can join it for free and basically email them anything you want publishing and they'll send you a letter saying either they like it or they dont.

If you make one of the anthologies it is an unpaid merit (but you can put it on a CV), but if your work makes the top 100 annual compilation thing they you get a cut of £10,000 - which is always nice.

If you want to take a more authortarian route then bombard publishers and publishing agents with your work - they're fairly easy to find online.

I'm currently writing a light hearted guide book to depression [Depression, the art of], and I am trying to get it published by a charitable organisation. I've been in touch with The Samaritains who are considering it. This means that it will be globally read and the distribution will be taken care of for me. A downside is that I'm not going to benefit financially much for it, but hopefully it will open up other doors for me.
Mon 07/06/04 at 10:45
Regular
"but i am a sheep..."
isn't there some BBC program where you have to finish someones story? and the best entrys get published or something like that
Mon 07/06/04 at 10:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I've decided, once my exams are over, I'm going to begin to write my book. Properly, with actual consideration. I don't care if it takes me 10 years to even get the writing started, I'm going to sketch it all out.
Mon 07/06/04 at 10:42
Regular
Might be a long shot, but I remember seeing on the TV a few weeks back, an advert claiming to help you get your work published, but I cannot remember it's name.

If someone can remember, post it here.
Mon 07/06/04 at 08:16
Regular
"Laughingstock"
All I know is that it's pretty pointless sending material direct to publishers as 99% of them won't read it unless they specifically ask for unsolicited manuscripts.

Most things I've read suggest sending stuff to literary agents who, if they like it, will promote your work to publishers and guarantee it being read.

It could be a different scenario for short stories, but for novels, that's the long and short of it.
Sun 06/06/04 at 23:16
Regular
GET YOUR SHORT STORY PUBLISHED! [URL] http://www.wetrybutwefail.com [/URL]

Kidding, unfortunately.

I'm trying to work out what the hell I want to do with my life, and I'm considering trying to become one of these author type people, or a writer, or something like that. I'm still very much interested in animation, but hell, I've got so much experience in writing, I shouldn't let it go to waste, or whatever.

So er, yes. Meka or Paradox might know about this, it's probably just a case of contacting publishers... but any other advice, otherwise? Anyone know of good websites, stuff to look for?

All help will be repaid in blood/flesh in the afterlife.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.