GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Martial Arts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/06/04 at 15:09
"Was UW."
As much as I love my DJing, I love martial arts...simply because its definetly a great benefit for me and I get to kick the living hell out of my friends during training. Anyone do fighting sports here? If you do Kick-boxing, you're sad. Anyways...

Cheers. UW.
Wed 09/06/04 at 00:26
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Nowhere close taught anything other than judo and karate when I was young so never really had an interest to do either of those. A friends older brother did a few when they lived in America and he used to teach me quite a lot of stuff, mostly Karate, Jujuitsu and Aikido.

Wanted to try capoeira when I started at uni but only once place does it near me and its on a night that I can't go.

Guess I might get a chance to try it at some point.
Wed 09/06/04 at 00:29
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
i do gung fu

i started wen i woz 4 and now im a orange belt

i could kick lee bruces ass!2321
Wed 09/06/04 at 11:53
Regular
"smile, it's free"
"losinghead" wrote:
> Fencing is not a martial arts. It a lazy way to hurt someone.

I didn't say it was a martial art. The question was "Anyone do fighting sports here?".

Although now you breach the subject, there is a remarkable similarity between fencing and martial arts. Both require the same sense of discipline, practice of drills and have similar grading systems.

And if you think fencing is a 'lazy way' of hurting someone you clearly haven't tried fencing :)
Wed 09/06/04 at 21:12
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
VenomByte wrote:
> And if you think fencing is a 'lazy way' of hurting someone you
> clearly haven't tried fencing :)

I think you should challenge him to a duel, or whatever you call it.
Thu 10/06/04 at 16:11
Regular
I dunno about fencing...I mean in a "duel" all you have to do is touch them with your sword and you get a point...that's really going to help if someone attacks you...I doubt you'd even have your sword with you.
Thu 10/06/04 at 16:59
"Darth Vader 3442321"
English_Bloke wrote:
> i do gung fu
>
> i started wen i woz 4 and now im a orange belt
>
> i could kick lee bruces ass!2321

Ur king foo is week old men.
Fri 11/06/04 at 20:08
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Is not how hard you kick, Its where you kick.
Fri 11/06/04 at 20:16
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Kung fu or Gung fu(china) is not weak, in fact if teach right it is the most powerful figting combat. Like the shaolin monk, at age 3 new monk are train. At that age they learn quicker and able to adapt. monk learn chigong (extreme flexibilty) and zen (simple movement which over time create maximum power). They are able to smash bricks with there side palm, cut stone in half with there bold head, do a head stand and a two finger stand up, etcs.........
Sat 12/06/04 at 00:51
Regular
I did Kung Fu for two years, combined with Yang style Tai Chi and Chi Gung. I've been doing JiuJitsu for 2 and a half years, and also Freestyle Karate (which could be described as Kickboxing) for about a year.

This breaking stones and washing your face with broken glass may look impressive, but has little use in a real fight. My old Kung Fu instructor did shows regularly with all the martial arts clichés like the ones above, aswell as sticking spears in his throat, breaking bricks with sledgehammers, while they are on his head etc. It doesn't impress me to be honest.

But during my 5 or so years attending various classes, I have seen many impressive feats of flexibility, stamina and endurance. You meet some really great people - the really good instructors, people who could batter pretty much anyone with ease, tend to be extremely mild mannered and easy going people.

I love the arts, and I think it's safe to say that once you are bitten by them, you'll never give them up. the exact art is not so important, it is what you gain from them, and how they improve you both physically and mentally.

I enjoy the whole mysticism that goes with it, some think it's just cheesy rubbish, and perhaps some of it is, but learning about the origins of combat is very interesting for me. If you ever watch UFC or Vale Tudo tournaments, you can see just how useful, or useless, the arts are in real, no holds barred fighting.

I may stick with the arts I'm doing now, or not. It's not that important which art I'm doing, and it's good to get an all round knowledge of all aspects of combat. That's why I do Karate aswell as Jiujitsu - they are two very different arts that can compliment each other. pb does tae-kwon-do I think, something I want to try eventually, although finding a club close enough is proving to be tricky.

Kudos to anyone who has tried the arts and stuck with them - they offer you a lot. Much more than just the ability to defend yourself properly(which may take a lifetime anyway, any serious student will admit), it gives you confidence, a feeling of self achievement, and you meet a good bunch of people. There's a unmistakeable sense of comaraderie in the martial arts - I can only imagine it is similar to those who fight side by side in the armed forces.

If you've always thought 'I might like to have a go one day', all I can say is give it a shot, you won't regret it.
Sat 12/06/04 at 00:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm a black belt in the ancient art of bad dubbing, i can tell you i'm going to avenge my fathers death while making it look like i'm reading out my grocery list.

But seriously, always wanted to take a Karate class or something like that but i've always found i've been too busy with other stuff like my Basketball, Baseball or video gaming. When i move to Japan i may take it up and then after vowing to avenge my fathers death, actually go out and do it. Now i just have to wait for him to peg it :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.