GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Martial Arts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/06/04 at 15:09
"Was UW."
As much as I love my DJing, I love martial arts...simply because its definetly a great benefit for me and I get to kick the living hell out of my friends during training. Anyone do fighting sports here? If you do Kick-boxing, you're sad. Anyways...

Cheers. UW.
Sun 13/06/04 at 17:46
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> cRaCkHeAd wrote:
> Kung Fu not Japanese
> Kung Fu is Chinese
>
> Japanese martials arts: Karate, Ninjitsu, Judo, Aikido, Kendo.
>
> Chinese martials arts: Kung Fu, Tai chi, Wushu, Jet kun do.
>
> I didn't say Kung Fu was japanese, I said my instructor moved to
> Japan, jackass. I am fully aware where each martial art originated
> from, having been a student of several of them.

you must be crap, If you move from different martials arts. Nobody likes you!
poor you :)
Sun 13/06/04 at 17:11
Regular
cRaCkHeAd wrote:
> Kung Fu not Japanese
> Kung Fu is Chinese
>
> Japanese martials arts: Karate, Ninjitsu, Judo, Aikido, Kendo.
>
> Chinese martials arts: Kung Fu, Tai chi, Wushu, Jet kun do.

I didn't say Kung Fu was japanese, I said my instructor moved to Japan, jackass. I am fully aware where each martial art originated from, having been a student of several of them.
Sun 13/06/04 at 16:53
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> Moving to Japan?
>
> another instructor of mine moved there, that's why I stopped with the
> Kung Fu - the nearest instructor of the same art lives 300 miles away
> from me.
>
> He's teaching english in Nagoya now, I still speak to him via e-mail.
> Somewhere I always fancied visiting, not sure I could live there
> though.

Kung Fu not Japanese
Kung Fu is Chinese

Japanese martials arts: Karate, Ninjitsu, Judo, Aikido, Kendo.

Chinese martials arts: Kung Fu, Tai chi, Wushu, Jet kun do.
Sun 13/06/04 at 11:12
Regular
"www.360volts.tk"
i am a memeber of a club infact i have training today, i am a green belt
Sat 12/06/04 at 01:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> Moving to Japan?

Indeed i have had enough of this horrible country and the desire of El Presidente Blair to get his smug mug in the history books at the expense of the people and the country he's meant to be representing so i've decided to go and live over in Japan as it's a culture i've always been fascinated in and just had a strange love for all things Japanese since i can remember. Plus you can't get much further away from England as Japan, which is a definite plus.

*note: apologies to anyone who actually likes living here (god knows why) and anyone i may have offended, Lakers views are his own and any lawsuits or death threats should be directed to the usual address
Sat 12/06/04 at 00:58
Regular
Moving to Japan?

another instructor of mine moved there, that's why I stopped with the Kung Fu - the nearest instructor of the same art lives 300 miles away from me.

He's teaching english in Nagoya now, I still speak to him via e-mail. Somewhere I always fancied visiting, not sure I could live there though.
Sat 12/06/04 at 00:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm a black belt in the ancient art of bad dubbing, i can tell you i'm going to avenge my fathers death while making it look like i'm reading out my grocery list.

But seriously, always wanted to take a Karate class or something like that but i've always found i've been too busy with other stuff like my Basketball, Baseball or video gaming. When i move to Japan i may take it up and then after vowing to avenge my fathers death, actually go out and do it. Now i just have to wait for him to peg it :-D
Sat 12/06/04 at 00:51
Regular
I did Kung Fu for two years, combined with Yang style Tai Chi and Chi Gung. I've been doing JiuJitsu for 2 and a half years, and also Freestyle Karate (which could be described as Kickboxing) for about a year.

This breaking stones and washing your face with broken glass may look impressive, but has little use in a real fight. My old Kung Fu instructor did shows regularly with all the martial arts clichés like the ones above, aswell as sticking spears in his throat, breaking bricks with sledgehammers, while they are on his head etc. It doesn't impress me to be honest.

But during my 5 or so years attending various classes, I have seen many impressive feats of flexibility, stamina and endurance. You meet some really great people - the really good instructors, people who could batter pretty much anyone with ease, tend to be extremely mild mannered and easy going people.

I love the arts, and I think it's safe to say that once you are bitten by them, you'll never give them up. the exact art is not so important, it is what you gain from them, and how they improve you both physically and mentally.

I enjoy the whole mysticism that goes with it, some think it's just cheesy rubbish, and perhaps some of it is, but learning about the origins of combat is very interesting for me. If you ever watch UFC or Vale Tudo tournaments, you can see just how useful, or useless, the arts are in real, no holds barred fighting.

I may stick with the arts I'm doing now, or not. It's not that important which art I'm doing, and it's good to get an all round knowledge of all aspects of combat. That's why I do Karate aswell as Jiujitsu - they are two very different arts that can compliment each other. pb does tae-kwon-do I think, something I want to try eventually, although finding a club close enough is proving to be tricky.

Kudos to anyone who has tried the arts and stuck with them - they offer you a lot. Much more than just the ability to defend yourself properly(which may take a lifetime anyway, any serious student will admit), it gives you confidence, a feeling of self achievement, and you meet a good bunch of people. There's a unmistakeable sense of comaraderie in the martial arts - I can only imagine it is similar to those who fight side by side in the armed forces.

If you've always thought 'I might like to have a go one day', all I can say is give it a shot, you won't regret it.
Fri 11/06/04 at 20:16
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Kung fu or Gung fu(china) is not weak, in fact if teach right it is the most powerful figting combat. Like the shaolin monk, at age 3 new monk are train. At that age they learn quicker and able to adapt. monk learn chigong (extreme flexibilty) and zen (simple movement which over time create maximum power). They are able to smash bricks with there side palm, cut stone in half with there bold head, do a head stand and a two finger stand up, etcs.........
Fri 11/06/04 at 20:08
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Is not how hard you kick, Its where you kick.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.