GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*New* Gameboy...set for 2005?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/02/05 at 18:49
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
According to CNN, [URL]http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes[/URL] analysts are saying that Nintendo will release the next Gameboy before the end of 2005.
If so, it firmly sticks to Nintendo and their statements that the Nintendo DS isn't the successor to the Gameboy, but rather it is a third pillar system, to sit alongside the current Gameboy Advance and its future successor GBA 2.

It would seem a bold move on their part to release the system almost a year after the DS and most importantly several months after the European and US PSP release. Would this be the final nail in the PSP coffin?
How would the all new Gameboy manage to sit alongside the Nintendo DS as a viable system? Nintendo after all knows more than us and I would be confident enough that having two Nintendo handhelds together on the market wouldn't be so bad.
I could see it causing confusion amongst parents, but to stop this, Nintendo really need to hit home with the DS marketing and maintain it's image which is geared solely towards the 18+ market.
It could prove interesting and if true, we are bound to see some evidence this E3, which is not to far away now.
Also, could the "Nintendo special announcement" in March be about this very thing?
Heres hoping.
Mon 28/02/05 at 21:45
Regular
It'd be stupid for Nintendo to do this.

People will be torn between the two systems.
Mon 28/02/05 at 21:21
Regular
"thursdayton!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Ninty themselves really haven't said very much at all.

Nintendo wouldn't :P

But then it's Spong, about as accurate as the Sun.
Mon 28/02/05 at 21:02
"period drama"
It's all hearsay and speculation, though.
Analysts say this ... er ... SPOnG (that world-famous gaming site) say that.

Ninty themselves really haven't said very much at all.
Mon 28/02/05 at 20:08
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Some more news, this time from Spong:

Some of the article-
"The new model of the Game Boy Advance will be shown at Nintendo’s E3 press conference this year in what will be one of the most remarkable moments in recent videogame history.
The unit will be a true gaming machine and will come equipped with a large high-quality back-lit screen and analogue controls, very much, one might argue, like Sony’s PSP.
Nintendo staffers have confirmed to SPOnG.com that preliminary hardware will be shown both at the firm’s conference and encased alongside the Nintendo Revolution on the showfloor."

and interestingly:

"The new Game Boy will be based around existing Nintendo GameCube hardware and will be, when it launches in the US and Japan towards the end of this year, the most powerful handheld console on the planet. SPOnG also believes it likely that the machine will make use of GameCube software. Revolution connectivity was confirmed."

Full text on www.spong.com

Interesting.
Mon 28/02/05 at 19:40
Regular
"thursdayton!"
People won't shell out for a new system so soon if they've gotten a DS.
Mon 28/02/05 at 19:03
"period drama"
Analysts?
Mon 28/02/05 at 19:00
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Well going by the CNN report its going to be $99 US which is roughly £52! :D
They also say that Nintendo will drop the GBASP to $50 which is about £27!

If Nintendo want to remain serious about keeping their grip on the handheld market, thats how they should do it!
Mon 28/02/05 at 18:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't really see it working, to be honest. Unless it's well cheap or whatever, I think that people percieve the DS as the new gameboy regardless of what Nintendo think.
Mon 28/02/05 at 18:49
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
According to CNN, [URL]http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes[/URL] analysts are saying that Nintendo will release the next Gameboy before the end of 2005.
If so, it firmly sticks to Nintendo and their statements that the Nintendo DS isn't the successor to the Gameboy, but rather it is a third pillar system, to sit alongside the current Gameboy Advance and its future successor GBA 2.

It would seem a bold move on their part to release the system almost a year after the DS and most importantly several months after the European and US PSP release. Would this be the final nail in the PSP coffin?
How would the all new Gameboy manage to sit alongside the Nintendo DS as a viable system? Nintendo after all knows more than us and I would be confident enough that having two Nintendo handhelds together on the market wouldn't be so bad.
I could see it causing confusion amongst parents, but to stop this, Nintendo really need to hit home with the DS marketing and maintain it's image which is geared solely towards the 18+ market.
It could prove interesting and if true, we are bound to see some evidence this E3, which is not to far away now.
Also, could the "Nintendo special announcement" in March be about this very thing?
Heres hoping.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.