GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One for the fans - PS2 sales figures"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/04/01 at 02:11
Regular
From OPS2 magazine:

Sony are celebrating the fact that PlayStation 2 has surpassed the company's target for ten million unit sales by 31 March 2001.

Japan has sold 4.65 million, the USA 2.76 million, and Europe 2.63 million units.

In the UK alone, 366,000 PS2s were sold in just 101 days, with over one million games shifted - an average of 2.83 per console.
Wed 25/04/01 at 11:50
Regular
well, my mate went to hong kong. Is there a differece in the prices between their and Japan? All technology stuff is cheaper down there. Most stuff is just over half the price u would pay here. How much does the PS2 cost in pounds in Japan?
Wed 25/04/01 at 12:19
"High polygon count"
The price at launch was 39,800 Yen, which at current exchange rates is around £226.

I suppose it is quite possible that Hong Kong is cheaper than Japan; obviously until fairly recently they were independent, so prices may be quite unique.

I'd also like to make it clear that it was not doubting your claim in my earlier post, but you are genuinely the first person I've heard tell a different story to those that were in the gaming press.
Wed 25/04/01 at 12:24
I thought that the main gist of the stories about PS2s and DVDs in Japan was that the disk sales went through the roof because firstly DVDs are considerably cheaper than PS2 games. And secondly there was a shortage of good games, so the punters wanted something else to play on their new toys. If they bought them originally mainly to play DVDs I'd have thought they would at least have a passing interest in gaming.
Wed 25/04/01 at 16:31
Regular
"I like cheese"
tigerblade wrote:
> Not near 95% of the PS2 owners will buy MGS2. Half the PS2s vought
> are used as DVD players anyway.... And only 60% of the N64
> population bought Zelda so Konami wont sell as many copies as MGS2
> than you think.

You wanna bet?? MGS2 is set to be AWESOME, and if ANY PS2 fan owner misses out on it, they're CRAZY!

CRAZY, IT TELL YOUZ, CRAAAZZZYYYY!!
Wed 25/04/01 at 18:17
Regular
I think that most will go for it even in Japan. As WM pointed out, the stats were based on early sales where gamessuch as MGS2 weren`t around. I`m sure many that wanted the DVD will come back for MGS2 in all parts of the country.
Wed 25/04/01 at 18:56
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
To tigerblade- Both Zelda's put together could not beat MGS2.
To Wookiee- How do you get so much info. You are a true gaming fan
Wed 25/04/01 at 19:38
"High polygon count"
khazar wrote:
> To Wookiee- How do you get so much info. You are a true gaming fan

I just know what I know - there's no trick to it, I just read all that I can, particularly about PS2.

Reading most of the major web sites and at least six PlayStation/PS2-specific mags every month also has a lot to do with it. Looking at things objectively and filtering facts from hype also helps!
Wed 25/04/01 at 21:49
Regular
i dunno where i read it, but isnt MGS only big in the western world? the japs dont really go for these type of games.
Wed 25/04/01 at 22:41
"High polygon count"
It's big everywhere, but definitely bigger in the West. The UK, Europe and the US absolutely love it.

Apparently the US are getting MGS2 first, before even the Japanese. Odd that they're going to hold back the already-voiced Japanese version until after the English-voiced Western version, but a nice change anyway!
Fri 27/04/01 at 13:41
Regular
Maybe they are trying a trick to get Japanese gamers even more addicted to all things Sony. By depriving them of MGS2 for a while with those in the US playing away, they might increase the amount the japanese want it when it is releases in Japan. Maybe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.