GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One for the fans - PS2 sales figures"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/04/01 at 02:11
Regular
From OPS2 magazine:

Sony are celebrating the fact that PlayStation 2 has surpassed the company's target for ten million unit sales by 31 March 2001.

Japan has sold 4.65 million, the USA 2.76 million, and Europe 2.63 million units.

In the UK alone, 366,000 PS2s were sold in just 101 days, with over one million games shifted - an average of 2.83 per console.
Sat 21/04/01 at 02:11
"High polygon count"
From OPS2 magazine:

Sony are celebrating the fact that PlayStation 2 has surpassed the company's target for ten million unit sales by 31 March 2001.

Japan has sold 4.65 million, the USA 2.76 million, and Europe 2.63 million units.

In the UK alone, 366,000 PS2s were sold in just 101 days, with over one million games shifted - an average of 2.83 per console.
Tue 24/04/01 at 20:24
Regular
I was wondering... If virtually every PS2 owner is going to buy MGS2, what will Konami do next. There will probably be about 20 million PS2s around by the end of the year (maybe a little less, but it won`t be far away), and say about 95% will buy MGS2. With that kind of success, Hideo Kojima will be able to do anything. Hopefully he won`t do a Tomb Raider on it, and start beating every drop of money out of it, but it would be good if he could do something special later on in the form of another MGS.
Tue 24/04/01 at 23:11
Regular
I dont know what MGS is like, as i have never played on it. It seems for what i hear that it is very specail in the hearts of you PS/PS2 owners. I believe these type of games are very rare and come few and far between. Well they should do anyway. I think they should only ever be released in one form on a console or they lose there specail touch.

I'm saying this because i noticed it with Zelda. Nintendo should never have released Majoras Mask on the 64. Ocarina of Time was perfection, and they shoudnt have even tried to recreate a game like that on the same console. It lost its specail touch, although maybe the game was better the majic wasnt there.

Well thats why i think there shouldnt be a MGS3 on PS2.
Tue 24/04/01 at 23:17
Not near 95% of the PS2 owners will buy MGS2. Half the PS2s vought are used as DVD players anyway.... And only 60% of the N64 population bought Zelda so Konami wont sell as many copies as MGS2 than you think.
Wed 25/04/01 at 10:11
It may be a moot point anyway, as I read that Hideo Kojima said that he wanted to leave MGS alone after MGS2. Whether the accountants at Konami will agree with him is another matter. But I'd like to see him try his hand at something else. He revolutionised one genre, why not another?
Wed 25/04/01 at 10:12
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Where did you get that half of PS2’s are used as DVD players from?
Wed 25/04/01 at 10:14
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
What about MGS Online? ...... Think about the possibilities
Wed 25/04/01 at 10:29
"High polygon count"
viperfire1956 wrote:
> Where did you get that half of PS2’s are used as DVD players from?

Early Japanese sales were mostly used as DVD players, as 'real' DVD players are still very expensive in Japan. It's not the case in the rest of the world, though - certainly not in the UK, Europe and the US.

I don't know - on the one hand these people are telling you that PS2's DVD capability is rubbish, and on the other they're telling you that most people buy it as a DVD player. Either way, they're wrong.

Regulars may remember tigerblade from the past - he hasn't been around for a while though. He owns an imported Japanese PS2 (or at least he did) and was never very happy with it, appearing here to slate the machine on a semi-regular basis. Which is fair enough - if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it.
Wed 25/04/01 at 11:15
Regular
DVD players are very cheap over there, where did u get your info from? my mate got a Sony DVD player for bout £300 from over there which costs £500 here.
Wed 25/04/01 at 11:29
"High polygon count"
Just repeating what it has said in all the mags since the PS2 was launched in Japan.

Many sources stated that there had been a rush to buy PS2 as it was a 'cheap' DVD player, hence people were buying PS2's and DVD movies, rather than games. Which seemed to make sense - after all, if DVD players are cheap, why buy a PS2 if you're not interested in the games?

I have to be honest and say that you're the first person/source I've heard say otherwise.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.