GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The best gaming news this year!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/03/05 at 21:15
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
It was 5-6 years ago, and I was sitting in a computer room in Bedfordshire doing my A-Levels. I dreamt of one day going to Uni to do some computer game degree, and get a job at a great computer games company. Ideally at the time, Rare.

I finished my A-Levels and went and got my degree. Came out and realised it is near impossible to get into the computer games industry, without already having industry experiance.

I worked in a BT call centre for 6 months, and felt like hanging myself after said time. Quit and tried to find game employment again. Got d1cked about a bit by various recruitment firms and such like. Finally got in touch with a guy from an AI company looking to hire someone to help make game demos to demostraight his new AI learning algorithm.

This seemed like the best job ever. A superb opportunity! It was. There was just one flaw. They had no funding. Well they got some, it was just given to the wrong company, and 6 months on a dispute over this money still hasn't been resolved and I haven't been paid.

So I've been on the lookout for a new job recently, because living on fresh air has its limits.

So a few weeks ago I went scouring the net looking for computer game companies in the UK and went sending my CV and samples of my work here, there, and everywhere.

Last week I had a call from Free Radical...

Interview was on Wednesday...

Letter offering me a job came today!!! :D

And I sent back my acceptance today!

So after 5 yrs or so, my time has finally come to have my bash at the industry. I'll finally be able to see my name in the credits of some successful video game. Will be a dream come true!

:)
Fri 04/03/05 at 21:15
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
It was 5-6 years ago, and I was sitting in a computer room in Bedfordshire doing my A-Levels. I dreamt of one day going to Uni to do some computer game degree, and get a job at a great computer games company. Ideally at the time, Rare.

I finished my A-Levels and went and got my degree. Came out and realised it is near impossible to get into the computer games industry, without already having industry experiance.

I worked in a BT call centre for 6 months, and felt like hanging myself after said time. Quit and tried to find game employment again. Got d1cked about a bit by various recruitment firms and such like. Finally got in touch with a guy from an AI company looking to hire someone to help make game demos to demostraight his new AI learning algorithm.

This seemed like the best job ever. A superb opportunity! It was. There was just one flaw. They had no funding. Well they got some, it was just given to the wrong company, and 6 months on a dispute over this money still hasn't been resolved and I haven't been paid.

So I've been on the lookout for a new job recently, because living on fresh air has its limits.

So a few weeks ago I went scouring the net looking for computer game companies in the UK and went sending my CV and samples of my work here, there, and everywhere.

Last week I had a call from Free Radical...

Interview was on Wednesday...

Letter offering me a job came today!!! :D

And I sent back my acceptance today!

So after 5 yrs or so, my time has finally come to have my bash at the industry. I'll finally be able to see my name in the credits of some successful video game. Will be a dream come true!

Fri 04/03/05 at 21:21
Regular
"0228"
Cooky wrote:
> There was just one floor.

You don't mean flaw do you?

Congrats on getting the job.
Fri 04/03/05 at 21:35
Regular
"hit the road jack"
I remember you saying about this.

Well done mate.
Fri 04/03/05 at 21:38
Regular
"Cosmic..."
Maybe you could slip a few names in? *cough* me
Fri 04/03/05 at 22:28
Regular
Wow. That's excellent, well done :D

Lucky sod.
Fri 04/03/05 at 22:30
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Sincere congratulations mate. Keep us informed on anything you work on eh?

;)
Fri 04/03/05 at 22:35
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Woot, well done!

Now sort out the Timesplitters single player + incorporate all our suggestions into FR games.

Congratulations!
Fri 04/03/05 at 22:36
Regular
"thursdayton!"
You are one lucky bast', hope you know that!

I expect you'll have to sign some secrecy document but I'm sure you can take a few pics of games in the making from your phone for us? :D
Fri 04/03/05 at 22:37
Regular
Well done mate.

And hey, put a word in for me in 4 -5 years time aye?

(Going to do Games Computing at Lincoln Uni in Sept)
Fri 04/03/05 at 22:42
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Just a little bit of advice. Get your Free Radical buddies to come on this site to get some ideas off us.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.