GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 loading screen problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life 2'.
Sat 05/03/05 at 14:18
Regular
FFS, why does nothing ever just work?

I bought Half-Life 2 silver off of Steam, waited for hours for it to download, and when it finally does, the game can't be run via Steam. The mouse arrow just disappears and it stops responding.

Loading it from the hl2 icon in the Steam program files folder takes me to a loading screen which is a fuzzy picture. It just stays on this and doesn't do anything.

Anyone know what's going on?
Sat 05/03/05 at 17:38
Regular
It's a bit of a relief that I didn't download the whole game.

I was getting a bit worried about the juttery frame rate and glitches, and was also a little disappointed with the graphics.
Sat 05/03/05 at 17:37
Regular
Ah, right.

Well, it's coming through - but very slowly. About ten minutes for each 1%.

It's also downloading Half-Life Source and Counter-Strike Source, even after I've selected "do not update automatically" in their properties. I can only assume that this is because they run on the same engine as HL2, and so a part of these games is in the HL2 download.
Sat 05/03/05 at 16:05
Right Click on Half Life 2 under My Games, go to Properties. Then select "Always keep this game up to date" in Automatic Updates.

Right click on the Steam taskbar icon, then select Monitor to make sure content is coming through your connection.
Sat 05/03/05 at 16:02
Regular
"Captain to you."
Mav wrote:
> asked a question i don' know the answer too

sorry can't help with that but when you have finished it, back it up and never have to go through the downloading again. thats what i did and when i had to format i was so smug tha i had backed it up
Sat 05/03/05 at 16:00
Regular
I managed to sort it, but when I get to a certain point in "Red Letter Day", it cuts back to the menu screen, then cuts out completely.

Interestingly in properties, the "amount acquired" is 69%, despite the fact that I did let the download run right to the end.

How can I "acquire" the rest of it?
Sat 05/03/05 at 14:47
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Mav wrote:
> Anyone know what's going on?

Right click and check the properties. It may not be fully downloaded. It'll let you open the menus etc at 70 od percent, but not load the game. I had this problem with a CS:S reinstall.
Sat 05/03/05 at 14:47
Regular
Yeah, it takes ages to load and it's fuzzy for me until it's finished, like Chippface said.
Sat 05/03/05 at 14:40
Regular
"Captain to you."
Mav wrote:
> Loading it from the hl2 icon in the Steam program files folder takes
> me to a loading screen which is a fuzzy picture. It just stays on
> this and doesn't do anything.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?

That fuzzy screen normally goes clear after it has loaded, what are you specs? how long in real terms (not like ages) did you leave it to load?
Sat 05/03/05 at 14:27
Regular
What graphics card have you got?
Sat 05/03/05 at 14:18
Regular
FFS, why does nothing ever just work?

I bought Half-Life 2 silver off of Steam, waited for hours for it to download, and when it finally does, the game can't be run via Steam. The mouse arrow just disappears and it stops responding.

Loading it from the hl2 icon in the Steam program files folder takes me to a loading screen which is a fuzzy picture. It just stays on this and doesn't do anything.

Anyone know what's going on?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.