GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 loading screen problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life 2'.
Sat 05/03/05 at 14:18
Regular
FFS, why does nothing ever just work?

I bought Half-Life 2 silver off of Steam, waited for hours for it to download, and when it finally does, the game can't be run via Steam. The mouse arrow just disappears and it stops responding.

Loading it from the hl2 icon in the Steam program files folder takes me to a loading screen which is a fuzzy picture. It just stays on this and doesn't do anything.

Anyone know what's going on?
Mon 07/03/05 at 08:22
Regular
Mav wrote:
> One annoyance - the ammo bar only half shows up. Common problem or
> not?

Yeah, it happened to me once before it was patched to hell and back. Shut down Steam, then your PC, boot it back up and start again. You can also try pressing Z to zoom in and out again, that has worked for some.
Mon 07/03/05 at 04:20
Regular
"Captain to you."
Mav wrote:
> One annoyance - the ammo bar only half shows up. Common problem or
> not?

My house mate had this problem, my suggestion was a restart of his computer and it was fine after that.
Sun 06/03/05 at 23:06
Regular
Nah, I did all that. There must be some connection... somewhere.

Anyhow, reinstalled Half-Life 2 and it all works fine.

One annoyance - the ammo bar only half shows up. Common problem or not?
Sun 06/03/05 at 11:32
Regular
Mav wrote:
> It must be something to do with that

No, at some point you must have selected install game for Half-Life Source and have not followed the correct way to remove the files and disable auot update.

It has NOTHING to do with the fact they use the same engine. Half-Life Source has different files to Half-Life 2, they don't require each other to run.
Sun 06/03/05 at 00:52
Regular
Argh, it happened on Half-Life: Source aswell...

Maybe I'll uninstall everything and just do it all again.
Sat 05/03/05 at 22:10
It's alright.
Sat 05/03/05 at 22:09
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Steam sucks so bad.
Sat 05/03/05 at 22:08
Dunno, there have been some lone reports of people getting stuck (technically) at a certain point and just doing a level skip. However, you'll be missing out on one of the best parts of the game if you do.
Sat 05/03/05 at 21:20
Regular
It must be something to do with that, because the percentages stopped going up after Half-Life 2 was fully loaded...

Anyway, now Half-Life 2 is complete, but I'm getting the same problem. Just after you cross the tracks in "Red Letter Day", and go down those stairs, and it says "Press F for Flashlight", it begins to load, then cuts back to the menu screen, then stops responding.

Anyone know what could be wrong?
Sat 05/03/05 at 20:02
Regular
Has got nothing to do with them running on the same game engine.

Just select disable auto updates, remove any files downloaded so far, exit and re-load Steam.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.