GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I think my cat has died..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/05/04 at 12:44
Regular
"That's right!"
[URL]http://img57.photobucket.com/albums/v175/Rumney/Pepper/Pepper_3.jpg[/URL]

Pepper - had her since I was about 3. Which makes her 16-17, which is quite old for a cat (and no doubt older than a lot of you whipper snappers)

She's not the friendliest of cats, or the most playful, but at her age, you can't blame her for wanting to sleep most of the day. I know what I'd choose over sleep or work.

She's been sick on and off for a couple of years now, every so often she'd throw up (actual sick, not just grass/hairballs) but would seem fine again later. The last couple of days you could tell she wasn't right. She just sat down by the shed, not moving - she'd barely acknowledge you when you walked up (usually she'd say hello in her own, lazy cat way by just making a noise and expecting you to tickle her under her chin) and she wasn't eating. And she LOVES to eat.

I went down to check on her last night, but I couldn't find her, so I feared the worst. Today my dad asked me to go look for her, but we all know she's probably gone off to die quietly, most likely in the allotments on the other side of the fence.

We all knew it was coming, but it's the kind of thing you try not to think about, after all, she's a member of the family. I can't remember much of my life before we picked her up from someone's house as a kitten - got a lot of memories of her adventures. Climbing into my dad's shoes as a kitten, falling into a holly bush, jumping out of my parent's window onto the kitchen roof as a way of getting down to the garden, climbing out of the attic window to patrol the roof, bringing back dead mouse heads and purring like a tractor when she was sat in front of the fire. She'd also wake me up at 5 in the morning wanting to be let out.

I'm still hoping that she'll turn up later today, but it's not looking very likely. I'll miss her, that's for sure. It'll take a while to sink in, and we're not getting a "replacement" so just not having a cat about the house will feel strange.

She had a good run.
Mon 31/05/04 at 09:48
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Clazon wrote:
> my grandad, hamsters, my cat and my dog all died between the ages of
> 8-10.

Errm no offence here but was your Grandma and paedophile?
Mon 31/05/04 at 09:37
Regular
"The Red Shift"
my grandad, hamsters, my cat and my dog all died between the ages of 8-10.

that was a tough part of life, sadness wise. ever since though i only remember the good things and funny things about them. i've never actually had to mention the word "died" when talking about them before.

i have so many memories of my dog and hamsters though and the cat was very loveable too. the good thing was that the hamsters lived 2 years past their breeds expectancy (4 years). my dog had a fullish life (12) and my cat was quite old (17). i think it was good that it was obvious in the week they went, that they were struggling and that i wasn't there to see it happen in each case. i too have to confess i cried.
Mon 31/05/04 at 08:43
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Speaking of cats my cat went out yesterday and has come back with a lump the size of a golf ball on its head. So yeah we dont kjnow how he got it but the vet says it will be fine just wait for a bit and let the swelling go down. So me and my mum were downstairs watching TV this cat (Hephalump he's ruddy massive though my friend has a cat thats 3 stone!) who was sitting on my lap just decided to release his golf ball full of puss all over my lap. T'was not nice but I know this sounds a bit cruel but it was quite funny to watch. A mountain of liquid getting released from a cats head and then the head itself shrinking down to a normal size.
Mon 31/05/04 at 08:12
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
That's great MoJo!
My dog Bonnie had a very serious cancer type condition, which resorted in hude lumps coming up, erupting and bleeding lots! She had this 3 times over the space of about 3 years, and everytime I thought she was a gonner, but everytime she bounced back, bless her!

She is dead now, but it was just pure old age that got her in the end, and she died in her sleep a few months back.

So yeah, I hope your cat has a few good years in her yet! Enjoy them!
Nikki (2G2's bird!:))
Sun 30/05/04 at 20:09
Regular
"That's right!"
Well, she's at the vet's with a liver infection, they're doing all sorts of tests on her and she's on a drip. When the vet called us I felt sure he was going to say she'd died, but he was just updating my dad on her condition.

We pick her up tomorrow, hopefully she'll be back to normal and have another few years ahead.
Sun 30/05/04 at 18:19
Regular
My dog died on 29th June 2002.

I have no shame in saying that I have never cried as much as I did on that day. I remember it clearly. It was a Saturday, and we went to Brighton, after going to the vets to have her put to sleep. I wanted to spend the day with her, but I couldn't. But I do have great memories of her.

I know how it feels MoJoMan, and it's not a pleasent feeling. One day, I will see Tiny again. You will probably see your cat again, too.
Sun 30/05/04 at 17:36
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Poor wee thing.
Sun 30/05/04 at 16:15
Regular
"That's right!"
I'd say a vet could have a guess, but the vet has asked us how old our cat is just about every time we've taken her there.

By the way, my sister (over with her boyfriend for dinner) spotted Pepper asleep in the garden today, she must have appeared from under a bush or something. She's in a pretty bad way, so my dad has taken her to the vet. Quite likely there's nothing they can do for her and she'll be put down. At least I got to see her before she left the house, though.

"Is there a reason why you arn't getting another one?"

One, my parents got Pepper for us since we were kids and wanted a pet, now my sister doesn't live here anymore, and both me and my brother are way too busy to take care of a kitten. Nobody's in the house during the day most of the time. Two, my parents are moving soon (don't know where that leaves me...) so it wouldn't be a good idea to get a kitten, let it settle, then move it. And three, my mum hates the cat hairs that get everywhere.

I'll be getting a kitten when I move out, though. I just always thought Pepper would still be around even after I left the house.
Sun 30/05/04 at 15:10
I didn't buy my cat or anything, she one day turned up and my house, came in and never left.
Been here since last October, so not too long, but my guess is she will stay, she has so far.
She is reaaalllyy big, my mum mates can't believe the size of her, when she arrived she was all dirty and had no collar.

She is pure white, which is pretty cool.

Is ther any way to tell the age of a cat, we have not a clue of her age.

Ta.
Sun 30/05/04 at 13:58
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
My favourite cat, was the one who who has lived right around my house (both neighbours), but never in my house. She first lived across the road and was called Bandit (her daughter was called Smoky!). The family then left and Bandit couldn't come with them, so they offered her to local families, and my neighbour on the left accepted Bandit (they had two other cats at the time), one of which was very aggressive (Albert) and the family on my left, decided to give Bandit away again. Even though I liked Bandit, I couldn't accept her and she was offered again and my other neighbours (on the right hand side, this time) accepted her. They renamed her Pringle. She was an elderly, Tortoise Shell cat at this time and frequently caught rats. She was diagonised with a condition a couple of years back, meaning she didn't have much longer to go. However she fought on and overcame her illness, but unfortunately in March last year, when I went out for the day, I came home to discover that a car had ran over Pringle and she was now dead.

So anyway, that's the story of my favourite cat, which I never actually owned! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.