GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crash a PC using Visual Basic?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/05/04 at 12:20
Regular
"Nobody Home"
ive been asked by someone to prove a point. Basically, there is apparantly someone who is using two accounts on msn and mucking my buddy about.

Shes asked me if there is something I can make that will crash their PC (with no side effects) or similar so that both names go offline at the same time and prove the point.

I dont want anything viral, or wormish. Cos, that'd just be cruel.

I either want something that will cause the screen to lock up, or some code (VBasic) that will reboot the machine. Kinda emulate the blaster virus warning message. I dont know whether this is even legal, so please delete this message if it is.

Also, I was thinking, I could always open Paint x100, cos that'd kill any PC. But wats the code to open paint?
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:20
Regular
"Nobody Home"
ive been asked by someone to prove a point. Basically, there is apparantly someone who is using two accounts on msn and mucking my buddy about.

Shes asked me if there is something I can make that will crash their PC (with no side effects) or similar so that both names go offline at the same time and prove the point.

I dont want anything viral, or wormish. Cos, that'd just be cruel.

I either want something that will cause the screen to lock up, or some code (VBasic) that will reboot the machine. Kinda emulate the blaster virus warning message. I dont know whether this is even legal, so please delete this message if it is.

Also, I was thinking, I could always open Paint x100, cos that'd kill any PC. But wats the code to open paint?
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:22
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Just search Google. All I'm saying.
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:35
Regular
"Nobody Home"
hehe, got it.

s = Shell("mspaint.exe", vbNormalFocus)

Made 5 timers and set intervals to 1, so it opens paint 5 times ever 1/1000 of a second :P.

hehe, moderaters, feel free to delete.
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:55
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
danieldone wrote:
> hehe, got it.
>
> s = Shell("mspaint.exe", vbNormalFocus)
>

Thats very nice, but doesn't crash my PC. So wouldn't bank it on crashing anybody elses either. At worst I might feel inclined to reboot so I don't have to bother closing all the instances of mspaint.

Anyway, making the machine shutdown is trivial, a quick search on google will give you the code. The real problem is how are you going to get them to execute any program on their computer and verify that they executed it.

There are much simpler solutions to this you know, such as making them log onto irc where ips are clearly visible. Have them visit a website where you can view the access logs (I think some of the free services like geocities offer stats on visitors and such) fairly easy to work out if its 2 people or one.
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:21
Regular
"NULL"
I once had a program called MSN Tweaker which was just designed to give MSN Messenger a few cool features - multiline nicks etc. But it also had a facility for mass-sending emoticons which on a slow PC (or even a fairly fast one as long as yours is faster) has the side-effect of crashing their PC if you sending half a million emoticons. It just crashes Messenger and sometimes even their PC. Dunno if it still works - not used it for years...
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:57
Regular
Just use the MSN Messenger API to do messenger stuff
Fri 28/05/04 at 14:32
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Garin wrote:
> danieldone wrote:
> hehe, got it.
>
> s = Shell("mspaint.exe", vbNormalFocus)
>
>
> Thats very nice, but doesn't crash my PC.

Really? Wow... I should I have said, I have 5 timers, each on a 1 thousandth of a second interval. So every 1/1000th of a second 5 MSPaint.exes open.

The PC dont crash, altho I have 2gb of Ram, but its impossible to stop.

EDIT: O, I did say. Way to read garin.
Fri 28/05/04 at 15:27
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
danieldone wrote:
> EDIT: O, I did say. Way to read garin.

Way to assume.
You have assumed that I didn't have the timers (or at least a method of spawning millions of mspaint processes), but whatever.
Fri 28/05/04 at 16:08
Regular
"Nobody Home"
then of course it wouldn't work ;)
Fri 28/05/04 at 18:28
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
you could just hog all the Heap memory or something uncreative like that. just look up an API page and pick one that does something key and mess with it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.