GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which version of XP?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/05/04 at 15:16
Regular
If I want to fresh install a new copy of Windows XP onto a formatted HD, which version of XP do I need? There seems to be so many versions about.

I'm sure I'm just being thick, but there you go...

Cheers.
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:16
Regular
If I want to fresh install a new copy of Windows XP onto a formatted HD, which version of XP do I need? There seems to be so many versions about.

I'm sure I'm just being thick, but there you go...

Cheers.
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:17
Regular
XP Pro with SP 1
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:52
Regular
"Digging!"
There is Home or Pro. If you not going to bother with a network just go for home as its cheaper and better for standalone machines. As for the version in terms of time, you can update your windows when you've installed it to the newest version.
Tue 25/05/04 at 15:59
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Though Pro is much, much better...
(Because I have it, obviously)
Tue 25/05/04 at 16:00
Regular
Can you tell me in what ways is it better?
Tue 25/05/04 at 17:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Teal'c wrote:
> Can you tell me in what ways is it better?

The fact that it has 'Pro' in the name isnt enough?

I use pro, but it was the same price as home, so i wasnt fussed between the two.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:30
Regular
that's exactly it - most home owners who have the Pro version have no idea why it is better i.e. they won't make use of any of the features present in pro and not home - so it's not really for them.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:47
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Teal'c wrote:
> that's exactly it - most home owners who have the Pro version have no
> idea why it is better i.e. they won't make use of any of the features
> present in pro and not home - so it's not really for them.

now XP PRO is tons better than XP HOME for several reasons:

you get a wallpaper that says "xp professional"
at startup it says "xp professional"
you don't get called a "homie"
it has improved networking istallation etc
you get:

slightly better system (basic eg: explorer)
about 2% of games can't be played
and a load of other rubbish avalbile from www.microsoft.com

i been through the tour and theres loads of stuff about, xppro is more intelligent and it does some small things extra.

it costs appox £100 more (if buying from a retailer)

and i have it :D

*cough* selling copies for £10 inc P+P *cough* joke
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:48
Regular
See what I mean?
Tue 25/05/04 at 19:27
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Remote Desktop: All versions of Windows XP - including Home Edition - support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.

I believe that Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one.

Automated System Recovery (ASR): ASR isn't in the default Home edition, whereas in Pro, ASR will help recover a system from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has to be replaced.

Dynamic Disk Support: XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager.

Fax: Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the box, though it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.

Security Encrypting File System: Windows XP Professional supports the Encrypting File System (EFS), which allows you encrypt individual files or folders for local security (EFS is not enabled over a network). EFS-protected files and folders allows users to protect sensitive documents from other users.

File-level access control: Any user with Administrator privileges can limit access to certain network resources, such as servers, directories, and files, using access control lists. Only Windows XP Professional supports file-level access control, mostly because this feature is typically implemented through Group Policy Objects, which are also not available in Home Edition.

The security is completely simplified in the Home edition, but not on Pro.
Also, Bessant is an idiot.
Apparently, it's more stable too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.