GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Obscure - But Brilliant - Bands ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/05/04 at 20:23
"period drama"
You know the ones.
I'm sure everyone has a band they love that most people have never heard of before.

Spread the word. Let's all feel special together.

I'll start off with Dredg
I'm also really bad at describing music, so bear with me. Polar

Bloody fantastic, by all accounts.
Their first album was quite hard, grunge-type - but their second, El Cielo is much more melodic and simply wonderful.

The album is themed around sleep paralysis, so expect a few weird choones about with divine lyrics. The songs can send you to sleep one minute, make you want to jump around the next - verying widely in styles, but everything fits together perfectly and is wonderful for that connection.

Most good. Buy.

You go.
Wed 26/05/04 at 01:04
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Remember who got you into Dredg, punk :)

New album out sometime this year (hopefully) which should be good. I have a feeling that it may be something of a let down though, not because it'll be bad but purely because it won't be as big a shift as there was from Leitmotif to El Cielo. Cracking band though, actually doing something original.
Tue 25/05/04 at 19:54
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Yeah, and?
>
> They're a massive band.

Go into college and ask anyone who they are.

90% of the time, people won't know
Tue 25/05/04 at 19:32
Regular
Vincent Vega wrote:
> Another Mike Patton project, which is stange is Fantomas. The first
> album is unexplainable. The music for the new lynx advert where the
> bloke picks up the can and sprays himself, and then the rope round
> his legs pulls him away. Is done by Fantomas.

Heh, you learn something new every day.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yeah, and?

They're a massive band.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:57
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> I wouldn't call Perfet Circle obscure.

A Perfect Circle not obscure?

Metaphor for a missing moment
Pull me into your perfect circle
One womb One chain One resolve
Liberate this will
To release us all
Gotta cut away, clear away snip away and sever this umbilical residue
Keeping me from killing you
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:38
Regular
"the burning sky"
mattributé wrote:
> Blue Eagle wrote:
> Hot Hot Heat
>
> Bandages blah blah blah...
>
> Billy Talent
>
> Poor.
>
> Yellowcard
>
> Typical Aerican punk
>
> Hell is for Heroes
>
> Decent 'background' music

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but honestly i think all of those bands are very good. Hot Hot Heat, have some other good tracks which maybe you havent listened too. Billy Talent are IMO another brilliant band, as are Yellowcard. They make for good alternative rock music, and i would recommend them to anybody. I am also under the impression that you havent heard much of Hell Is For Heroes, for you to say they make for good background music.

Oh and enjoy Funeral For A Friend's album, it is great, i'm glad you agree on that one.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:33
Regular
"Ah the mystic porta"
Another Mike Patton project, which is stange is Fantomas. The first album is unexplainable. The music for the new lynx advert where the bloke picks up the can and sprays himself, and then the rope round his legs pulls him away. Is done by Fantomas.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:28
Regular
"Ah the mystic porta"
Del Rogeo wrote:
> Mr Bungle!
>
> Mr. Bungle were one of Mike Patton's projects after Faith No More,
> and the three albums they released were pretty amazing, especially
> California.
>
> They're amazing to listen to, they're music defying any means of
> classification. I suppose you could describe them as every kind of
> music from the last 50 years rolled into the same, bizarre and
> wonderful package. One minute you can be listening to lively sixties
> jazz before it transforms suddenly and without warning into screaming
> thrash metal. Fantastic.

Yes. Another Mr Bungle fan. They are well worth a listen if you can spare any time.
Tue 25/05/04 at 18:23
Regular
Meat Loaf.

Certainly not obscure, but nevertheless overlooked in this day and age when they by far deserve the same kind of continued recognition that Guns 'n' Roses enjoy.
Tue 25/05/04 at 14:23
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Hamell On Trial - Go out and buy Choochtown. Now! It's a superb album. One guy, one acoustic guitar, a hell of a lot of rocking, comedy and a story. What more could you want?

Five For Fighting - For all you Crows and Matchbox 20 fans out there this guy is amazing, you might have heard "Superman", I think it was used on Smallville or something.....my personal fave is "2 Frogs".

Idiot Kings - Kind of mellow rock, I guess? Check out their site, and if you live near Brighton, check them out at the end of the month..... [URL]www.idiotkings.co.uk[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.