GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web Site"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/05/04 at 00:22
Regular
www.cheshirepool.com - [URL]http://www.cheshirepool.com[/URL]

I'd like your opinions please.

I coded it on 2 computers, one with a very light monitor, one that's a bit busted so the screen appears too dark, so the first thing I'd like to ask is how you think the colour scheme works, it the blue a decent shade, which shows up the lettering clearly?

Also, how does it look on screens with larger resolutions?

And general feedback and suggestions for improvements please.

(I know the images are a little bit crap, I'm hoping to lay my hands on something with anti-ali[cough]ing soon...)

Thanks
Wed 26/05/04 at 14:20
Regular
"Digging!"
I think PSP can do that, so just have a look around. Is ther an export wizard on the File menu? If so, that should have it.
Tue 25/05/04 at 23:10
Regular
Allred wrote:
> Thats A type of GIF format. Supported in most decent graphics
> packages, eg Macromedia Fireworks, Adobe Photoshop etc, for exporting
> files.

Ah, excellent. If I can find it in my version of paint shop pro, we're in business :^D
Tue 25/05/04 at 21:26
Regular
"Digging!"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> Just go with Web Adaptive, Dithered 100%,
> 256.
>
> I'm afraid I have no idea what that is! Can I find it on
> download.com?
> (That is the big download site, right?)

Thats A type of GIF format. Supported in most decent graphics packages, eg Macromedia Fireworks, Adobe Photoshop etc, for exporting files.
Tue 25/05/04 at 21:10
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> Just go with Web Adaptive, Dithered 100%,
> 256.

I'm afraid I have no idea what that is! Can I find it on download.com?
(That is the big download site, right?)
Mon 24/05/04 at 19:32
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> One other thing:
>
> Setting a custom pallet for gifs: You can do this, right? You're not
> restricted to the default set of colours?
>
> That should allow plenty of tones of white, black and blue/red for
> the basic images, allowing them to be high quality and small size.
>
> I have alchemy's gif animation shop pro, which I'm pretty sure allows
> you to set a custom pallet for the gif.
>
> Technically if I did it that way though, I'd get an aminated gif
> consiting of just one image! There must be a more efficient way of
> getting gifs with a costom pallet?

DOn't bother with custom gif pallets, they rely too much on the end users graphical settings. Just go with Web Adaptive, Dithered 100%, 256.
Mon 24/05/04 at 19:18
Regular
One other thing:

Setting a custom pallet for gifs: You can do this, right? You're not restricted to the default set of colours?

That should allow plenty of tones of white, black and blue/red for the basic images, allowing them to be high quality and small size.

I have alchemy's gif animation shop pro, which I'm pretty sure allows you to set a custom pallet for the gif.

Technically if I did it that way though, I'd get an aminated gif consiting of just one image! There must be a more efficient way of getting gifs with a costom pallet?
Mon 24/05/04 at 19:13
Regular
phi11ip wrote:
> It's very basic, and the graphics are very basic/overcompressed too.
>
> Make it more attractive to the eye, use CSS to make the fonts and
> borders look better plus add some graphics/photos to it to make it
> look better.
>
> Keep into account that it needs to load quickly though so not too
> many pics, but not boring with nothing either.

I know what you mean about the graphics. I have an old copy of paintshop pro, but I don't like its 'blur' effects, and can't find an anti-whatsit-ing tool.

When I'm at uni in september I'll use my NUS number to get a student copy of Photoshop, but until then while I don't mind *cough*wear myself, I don't want to implicate the county pool association in any dodgy dealings...

I have CSS for the fonts though. I admit I'm not that good with it, but I thought the text was reasonable - a sans-serif in a nice size...
What else should I be aiming for?

As for photos, I thought one of the venue on the home page would add a token touch of colour, and then maybe some photos of players and tables mixed in elsewhere.
I think I have a php script for a random image thing actually... My potential first ventures into php :^D

Allred wrote:
> Suitable design, but it needs better images and possibly needs a
> sharper blue rather than the default (and rather mankey) blue. Maby
> try a deep red, they always have a nice effect.

Hmm, I was going for a nice light blue, but that was on the overly bright monitor, so I guess I wasn't seeing anything like the true colour! :^|

Dark red sounds good though, I can picture it now. Should look a little more interesting.
I'll do it in a middle red, and see how it turns out for you guys :^D
Mon 24/05/04 at 19:02
Regular
Microchips wrote:
> Bit off-topic, but I used to live in Cheshire. Where abouts do you
> live DD?

Near Tarporley. Where were you?
Mon 24/05/04 at 17:07
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Microchips wrote:
> I used to do 34DD

Sorry.
Mon 24/05/04 at 17:05
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Bit off-topic, but I used to live in Cheshire. Where abouts do you live DD?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.