GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has anyone's pc been infected by the new sasser virus?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/05/04 at 17:28
Regular
"56 000"
My pc has been infected but I managed to get rid of it by downloading a fixer on the synmatic website however the virus keeps comming back. Its annoying though because it keeps shutting down your pc. Has anyone else experienced the Sassar virus. If so how do you get rid of it permantly?
Mon 10/05/04 at 21:51
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
why does everybody go on about all these viruses?

i have been sent around 6 via email and they don't stop and they are still coming ARGH! spam! most vurises are harmless.

if you have a firewall and a vuris scanner usually nothing is wrong.

i probaly been sent the sassar virus but it will never get through. half the time i get stupid warnings from mcafee trackers saying that ntlworld is trying to connect to my ISP or some other rubbish.
Mon 10/05/04 at 09:17
Regular
"Digging!"
mcg_highlander wrote:
> The sasser virus is similar to the blaster virus in that computers get
> infected by their IP address and not via e-mail. The way to
> permanently keep the virus off your computer is to UPDATE your
> windows http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or
> [URL]http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com[/URL]
> run the removal tool again, just to make sure it is gone. Then remove
> all your system restores. It is due to back doors in your OS (win xp
> & win 2000), anti-virus or firewall will not stop you getting the
> virus!!

I thought the whole point of a firewall is it stopped people accessing your IP. II use mine to frequently block access to my IP from others.
Mon 10/05/04 at 08:19
Regular
omg wtf lol wrote:
> The computers in school have been infected. Nice, nearly the end of
> all our work and the computers start being gay.

Maybe so, but the Sasser virus doesn't delete any files or format drives or anything, so your work should be okay once the computers have all been cleansed of the virus. Or you could just end the worm processes, I believe.
Mon 10/05/04 at 07:56
Regular
": ("
I've got rid of the virus now but for some reason this blue screen keeps coming up saying that i have to restart my computer.
:(
Mon 10/05/04 at 07:51
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
The sasser virus is similar to the blaster virus in that computers get infected by their IP address and not via e-mail. The way to permanently keep the virus off your computer is to UPDATE your windows http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or
[URL]http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com[/URL]
run the removal tool again, just to make sure it is gone. Then remove all your system restores. It is due to back doors in your OS (win xp & win 2000), anti-virus or firewall will not stop you getting the virus!!
Sun 09/05/04 at 14:29
Regular
"Digging!"
SBB wrote:
> I would recommend McAfee anti-virus and firewall. The anti-virus is
> far better at updating itself than Norton, and the firewall doesn't
> block everything it wants to automatically. It's also very easy to
> configure.

I have a friend that got McAfee, installed it, and then it crapped up his whole system, and he had to reformat. Not a good experinace. Plus, when playing online games it is advisable to turn off your firewall as it increases your pings and lag.
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:13
Regular
"Cogito, Ergo Doleo."
I would recommend McAfee anti-virus and firewall. The anti-virus is far better at updating itself than Norton, and the firewall doesn't block everything it wants to automatically. It's also very easy to configure.

The only problem with it is that it can sometimes crash games the first time you run them, as a window pops up to ask you if you want to allow the game access to the internet for online play.

Remember to configure your games first, before attempting online play. This is very easy to do.

Use the windows firewall as a strict minimum. There have been a lot of exploits of this particular DoS and Reboot issue, but I think microsoft have released an official bugfix on their site.

If you want a free firewall I would recommend ZoneAlarm, http://www.zonealarm.com/

I also thing AVG do an online virus scan for free, and of course Norton's security fixes and patches are freely availiable for download from the SecurityCenter part of their site.

Hope this helps!
Ben 'SBB' Taylor
Fri 07/05/04 at 09:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I've got Norton AntiVirus and a decent firewall running, but it still got in somehow. Last night I had a message come up saying "Norton has deteced the following viruses on your PC: Sasser". Luckily it's not that malicious, but I put it on a par with someone breaking into your house and crapping on the floor - nothing permanent, but it's still unwelcome. Can it be got rid of? I'll download the patch, but if it's already there and won't go, I'll shake my fist so hard *shakes fist anyway*
Thu 06/05/04 at 22:10
Regular
"Digging!"
danieldone wrote:
> As long as you have a firewall and an up to dave AV, it couldn't get
> you anyway. The patch is just another hole filler for those 'tards
> who dont have a FW.

I have a firewall, but I don't use it. Its to intrusive and half the time thinks my browser is a hacker. I find you can just use instincts to tell if something isn't right with your connection (slow, or the Tx and Rx being used when you know the connection should be idle) and you can just use the netstat from the command promt to tell what IPs are connected. If there is an unusall one you can just disconnect and reconnect (the wonders of having a truly dynamic IP).
Thu 06/05/04 at 20:25
Regular
"Nobody Home"
As long as you have a firewall and an up to dave AV, it couldn't get you anyway. The patch is just another hole filler for those 'tards who dont have a FW.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.