GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A-Spec Points - S Licence - Endurance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/03/05 at 12:23
Regular
Three points I was hoping to discuss on GT4:

A-Spec Points

Does anybody know what the maximum is? I know the missions are 250, so does that mean the maximum A-spec points for a race is 250? I've won races for 200, but have never managed to even enter a race with more points available. Also, does anybody know what these points actually achieve - are there targets for each race/category or for the whole game?

S Licence (se)

Is it just me or have they made it too easy? I mean, the gold is still rock hard, but the bronze is just silly. Quite often the difference between silver and bronze is five times the difference between silver and gold. I started rushing through them towards the end, just settling for bronze on the last few s-tests in order to get the car, but felt quite bad about it. Is it because we're used to it in the previous GT games, or have they just made things easier after complaints?

Endurance Races

Has anybody gone to the European races and looked down the list to the 1000 miles championship? I started it to see what would happen, and was shocked to find that you have to do 25 laps of the Nurburgring in a pre-1970s car (and not a powerful one if you want decent A-spec points). Given that a car that age probably takes about 10 minutes to get round the course, that's a 4 hour race minimum. Did I miss some small detail, or is that truly insane?

Bonus Topic

Another thing that just came to mind is the B-Spec mode. I really hope your driver learns to race as he goes. I have only tried this mode once, but despite giving him a nicely tuned car that would easily have won in the right hands, he managed to plonk it back in fifth. Thanks for the dent in the win ratio. Who's driving that thing, David Coulthard?
Tue 15/03/05 at 12:23
Regular
Three points I was hoping to discuss on GT4:

A-Spec Points

Does anybody know what the maximum is? I know the missions are 250, so does that mean the maximum A-spec points for a race is 250? I've won races for 200, but have never managed to even enter a race with more points available. Also, does anybody know what these points actually achieve - are there targets for each race/category or for the whole game?

S Licence (se)

Is it just me or have they made it too easy? I mean, the gold is still rock hard, but the bronze is just silly. Quite often the difference between silver and bronze is five times the difference between silver and gold. I started rushing through them towards the end, just settling for bronze on the last few s-tests in order to get the car, but felt quite bad about it. Is it because we're used to it in the previous GT games, or have they just made things easier after complaints?

Endurance Races

Has anybody gone to the European races and looked down the list to the 1000 miles championship? I started it to see what would happen, and was shocked to find that you have to do 25 laps of the Nurburgring in a pre-1970s car (and not a powerful one if you want decent A-spec points). Given that a car that age probably takes about 10 minutes to get round the course, that's a 4 hour race minimum. Did I miss some small detail, or is that truly insane?

Bonus Topic

Another thing that just came to mind is the B-Spec mode. I really hope your driver learns to race as he goes. I have only tried this mode once, but despite giving him a nicely tuned car that would easily have won in the right hands, he managed to plonk it back in fifth. Thanks for the dent in the win ratio. Who's driving that thing, David Coulthard?
Tue 15/03/05 at 12:50
Regular
ssxpro wrote:
> Three points I was hoping to discuss on GT4:
>
> A-Spec Points

Dunno, sorry. Is there even a limit on how many you can earn?

> S Licence (se)

Can't comment on S License tests yet. The A and B ones were rather easy though. I only really had any trouble on one of the A ones, mainly because I was a little over-confident and ended up flying onto the grass.

> Endurance Races

Just like the old days :)
I used to love these endurance races, but, as much as I'm looking forward to them this time around, I don't think I'll have the time for them. Get enough B-Spec points though, and it's something to rake in the cash while you go have dinner or something :D

> Bonus Topic (B-Spec)

I can't understand why you've had trouble with B-Spec. Every B-Spec race I've been on, my driver has won. I just set him to level 5 and switch ovetake on. Job done. My car is usually even-matched with the rest of the cars too.
Tue 15/03/05 at 13:02
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Bullett wrote:
> ssxpro wrote:
> Three points I was hoping to discuss on GT4:
>
> A-Spec Points
>
> Dunno, sorry. Is there even a limit on how many you can earn?

However think they are used for camera mode, looks like it costs 5 per picture, but i haven't tried it yet.

> S Licence (se)
>
Just started on them now, not too bad, just have to keep your cool. And it seems you do have longer for the bronzes, but getting the golds is gonna be tough!
>
> Endurance Races
>
You think 4 hours is tough, wait for the 24 hour one! As Bullett says B-spec is the way to go.
>
> Bonus Topic (B-Spec)

B-Spec wise, i started to do the races early on with my guy, then followed up doing them myself for extra cash. Rule of thumb, start out at 5 + overtake, then knock it back down to 3 when you're in the lead. Sometimes if you purely leave it on 5, your guy gets a bit raggedy and comes off the track more.
Tue 15/03/05 at 13:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
fragout123 wrote:

> You think 4 hours is tough, wait for the 24 hour one! As Bullett says
> B-spec is the way to go.

indeed, 4 hours isn't really that bad but 24 hours is something not even i'm crazy enough to complete, plus i'd be worried that my PS2 could run for 24 hours straight :-D
Tue 15/03/05 at 13:49
Regular
Does it advise you to take regular breaks before the race starts?

If not, I'm sure they're breaking some kind of regulation.
Tue 15/03/05 at 14:00
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Probably, be in the manual small print :)

Still with time speeded up tis 8 hours straight, just hope i can leave it going, and the guy knows how and when to pit instead of me telling him, cause that would be annoying!
Tue 15/03/05 at 14:24
Regular
This time speeded up thing - is that a B-spec feature, or are you just keeping some giant secret from the world of physics?

As for 24 hour endurance. That's insane. I might try that with a friend or two, taking it in shifts, but there's no way I'd be able to do that. As was mentioned below, that must break a regulation or two!

On the A-spec points, I'll be disappointed if they don't mean anything. I've been making it as difficult for myself as I can in order to get as many points as possible. As for using 5 of them for camera mode, could that not be credits? If its A-Spec points then camera mode can go focus itself, I didn't earn those things just to play with a camera!

Lastly, will retry B-spec and see if little driver guy can actually win a race. Thanks for the advice!

Any more knowledge on the A-spec points is welcome!
Tue 15/03/05 at 14:27
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Yeah time can only be speeded up in B-spec (3 times), but you can also swap over to A-spec in the pits i think (think i saw that in the manual) and visa-versa, if you dont have enough friends :)
Edit: might be credits for the photo thing, can't remember?
Tue 15/03/05 at 16:22
Regular
": ("
I'd love it if someone done that 24 hour endurance and then after 23 hours or so their PS2 broke down.
Tue 15/03/05 at 16:27
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I reckon there is an option to save it during the race because I can't say that I'd be able to pull a 24 hour run.

I haven't used the B-Spec option yet. Do you have to use it to complete the game?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.