GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is the best way to clean the PS2 lens ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/03/05 at 17:11
Regular
"..."
In the official UK Playstation site they said that the reason why GT4 doesn't work is because the lens needs to be cleaned, and they mentioned something about a DVD cleaning kit, so is this the best way to clean the PS2 lens ? And if so, where can I find one ? And if not, then what is the best way to clean it ?
Mon 21/03/05 at 20:16
Regular
"Bicycle"
Not if you do it right, and don't do anything stoopid such as putting a cheese melt in it.

Mmm, cheese melt.
Mon 21/03/05 at 20:08
Regular
"Catch it!"
yeah but won't it muck up all the stuff inside the PS2!
Sat 19/03/05 at 12:02
Regular
"Bicycle"
Not really.

About 5 minutes, half an hour if you're not a very techie person...
Sat 19/03/05 at 01:17
Regular
"Catch it!"
Coin wrote:
> Best way:
>
> Unscrew case.
> Remove case top.
> Unscrew drive cover.
> Remove drive cover.
> Get white spirite / methanol.
> Dab cotton bud in previously mentioned alcohol.
> Whipe, using circular motions.
> Throw bud away.
> Replace drive cover.
> Screw in drive cover.
> Replace case top.
> Screw in case top.
>
> Simple.

But won't that take ages?
Fri 18/03/05 at 11:19
Regular
"..."
Well, no.
Fri 18/03/05 at 07:49
Regular
Wow, Egypt! Nice! I wonder if you know a guy called Boris... that'd be funny, and a stupid coincidence.
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:36
Regular
"..."
Well, there isn't a computer store in my area, because I live in Egypt. Does anyone know a site from where I can buy it ?
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:24
Regular
I got it from a local computing store, don't know if I'm allowed to say it on this site, but it doesn't matter since that store is only in Dorchester and Weymouth.

That shouldn't be a problem though - any decent computing store in your area should have one. It might not be specifically for PS2, indeed mine wasn't, but they are just as effective.

It cost about £5, and is simply a CD with a little bit of rubbish music and some instructions in various languages, and has a little brush on one spot that must do its business whilst the complicated instructions (at the beep go to track 9) go on.
Thu 17/03/05 at 10:40
Regular
"..."
Well, where did you buy it from ?
Thu 17/03/05 at 07:43
Regular
I've had a PS2 since launch day and have had numerous disc read errors, mostly for DVDs at first, but now with games such as MGS3 and GT4 (they get stuck on loading bars occasionally, but the problem can be solved by simply taking the disc out momentarily an wiping it, then putting it straight back in). However, I did go out an buy a lense cleaner, despite the warnings and it definitely works. Each time I use it, the PS2 works fine again for a few months, then I clean again... and so on.

The cleaner is just a tiny brush placed on the bottom of the disc about half way out from the center of the disc. It takes about 30 seconds to do its job, and doesn't seem to cause any harm.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.