GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Shutdown problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/04/04 at 19:50
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
OK,
My PC is shutting down with no warning and no shutdown protocol errors arriving on the desktop. What seems to be happening is when a program, such as a game runs, the processor whirs and then the PC cuts power after a couple minutes into the game. The computer then won't reboot for about 15 minutes with the PC having to be completely unplugged then re-plugged before the startup will begin. Has anyone heard of this problem or come across it before, if so, any advice? Could it be installed sofeware?
Fri 30/04/04 at 00:46
"I love yo... lamp."
One possibility is that you have a thermal protection setting in your BIOS turned on. And with too low a trigger. Say you have it set at 50 degrees, well under full load, like in a game, that sort of temperature could be reached. Whereas in some things, like typing a letter, which is far far less CPU intensive, it wouldn't be under such loads and would be better able to cope. Just a thought.
Thu 29/04/04 at 22:32
Regular
"Touched!"
It could also be your PSU, try another one if possible, this can cause shutdowns and random reboots.
Thu 29/04/04 at 22:11
Regular
He must have meant the fan on the heatsink.

It certainly does sound like an overheat problem. Is the heatsink/fan powerful enough? Did you install the processor yourself? If there is no thermal paste on the chip it'll heat up in no time.
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:32
Regular
"Digging!"
Hazelld wrote:
> processor whirs

Since when do processors whir? They run at Ghz speeds, that frequency is off human hearing by a long way.
Thu 29/04/04 at 21:19
Regular
Could your processor be overheating? Some computers shut down for obvious reasons if that happens, and you can set this option in the BIOS.
Thu 29/04/04 at 19:50
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
OK,
My PC is shutting down with no warning and no shutdown protocol errors arriving on the desktop. What seems to be happening is when a program, such as a game runs, the processor whirs and then the PC cuts power after a couple minutes into the game. The computer then won't reboot for about 15 minutes with the PC having to be completely unplugged then re-plugged before the startup will begin. Has anyone heard of this problem or come across it before, if so, any advice? Could it be installed sofeware?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.