GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Shutdown problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/04/04 at 19:50
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
OK,
My PC is shutting down with no warning and no shutdown protocol errors arriving on the desktop. What seems to be happening is when a program, such as a game runs, the processor whirs and then the PC cuts power after a couple minutes into the game. The computer then won't reboot for about 15 minutes with the PC having to be completely unplugged then re-plugged before the startup will begin. Has anyone heard of this problem or come across it before, if so, any advice? Could it be installed sofeware?
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:16
Regular
"Digging!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> The range of human hearing is around 40kHz to about 20Hz. What you
> hear from TVs is the electron gun, not the scanning magnetic field.

Yeah, I realsied that after I posted.
Sun 02/05/04 at 22:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The range of human hearing is around 40kHz to about 20Hz. What you hear from TVs is the electron gun, not the scanning magnetic field.
Sun 02/05/04 at 20:50
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
true. well i'm going to sleep now.
Sun 02/05/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Digging!"
*disPute* wrote:
> it's not the current that makes the noise, it's the ray tube doing
> it's job. also 50hz is a seriously low pitch sound and if u pick up
> electric cables you can't hear anything unless it's seriously high
> current or ur standing next to a subs station.

Thats what I said, the currnet in the ray tube makes the noise (moving electrons are currnet). Although I stand corrected about the 50hz thinking about it, that is a really low noise below human hearing. But, all current makes sound, it is just generally out of your range of hearing or is far to quiet for your ears to pick up.
Sun 02/05/04 at 20:43
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
it's not the current that makes the noise, it's the ray tube doing it's job. also 50hz is a seriously low pitch sound and if u pick up electric cables you can't hear anything unless it's seriously high current or ur standing next to a subs station.

obviously it will give out sound just not enough to hear it normally.

oh and sry if i'm being argumentive but hey, it's fun.
Sun 02/05/04 at 14:38
Regular
"Digging!"
*disPute* wrote:
> sry is it just me but the speed of a processor refers to the cycles
> per second or operations per second and has nothing to do with any
> moving parts to make a sound. So why would a really slow processor
> make a noise?

You know when you turn your TV (or moniter depending on what refesh rate you have it on) on it makes a fait high pitch noise. That is the electric current flowing through it (well, the cathode ray tube anyway) at 50hz (TV) which you can hear as it is on human hearing range. Current like any movement causes friction, which causes both heat and sound, and as such if the sound is the right frequency you can hear it.
Sat 01/05/04 at 20:24
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
sry is it just me but the speed of a processor refers to the cycles per second or operations per second and has nothing to do with any moving parts to make a sound. So why would a really slow processor make a noise?
Sat 01/05/04 at 13:27
Regular
"Digging!"
Hazelld wrote:
> Thanks for your help everyone, i'll try a few of those things. taka-Q
> your useless, why even waste time saying that, everone else knew what
> i meant.
> Thanks.

Triarii had already basically answered the question, so I felt it was pointless to repeat what had be said, but I decided correcting you knowledge, and I'm quite suprissed you have a heat sensative fan on you heat sink if you don't no what was causing the problem. I assumed that you would have ment the Hard Drive, as that does whir.
Fri 30/04/04 at 20:03
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
Thanks for your help everyone, i'll try a few of those things. taka-Q your useless, why even waste time saying that, everone else knew what i meant.
Thanks.
Fri 30/04/04 at 08:17
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
The whir would most likely be either a fan, however most fans should be whirring already.....it might be your hard-drive that is starting to whir or possibly your cd/dvd drive.....
Are you using a power surge multiplug?
Also I'd recommend getting your ram checked out, use something like memtest

Hope this helps

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.