GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ID Cards - A Non Insane and Non Fundamentalist Opinion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/04/04 at 16:52
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Personally, I don't object to the introduction of ID cards. What I do object to is the government trying to scare us into accepting them. I'm ripping off something that someone else raised here, but...

If they help prevent terrorism, how come Spain (which has ID cards) got bombed?

If they protect kids from paedos, how come Marc Dutroix raped and murdered kids in Belgium (which has ID cards).

If they stop illegal immigrants, how come all of Europe still has an illegal immigrant problem?

I'd rather a government was honest and said "It helps us track our citizens". Scaremongering arouses the ire of civil libertarians everywhere.
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:45
Regular
"relocated"
Personally I disagree with ID cards because of the civil liberties thing - but I can't be bothered writing anything more about that just now - and on practical grounds: I don't think they'll do anything to make our lives easier or safer.

I read a good essay by a security expert, the kind of person who would have to implement this thing, and it was very, very scathing. The gist of it is:

"In fact, everything I've learned about security over the last 20 years tells me that once it is put in place, a national ID card program will actually make us less secure."

[URL]http://www.schneier.com/essay-034.html[/URL]
and
[URL]http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0112.html#1[/URL]
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:29
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Whatever tagging device next will they make compulsory?
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:29
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Forest Fan wrote:
> SHEEPY wrote:
> I object however to being forced to carry one everytime I leave my
> house.
>
> They will make these tagging devices compulsory won't they!

Well, yes, that's what they've been talking about... They reckon they could potentially make them compulsory by 2010 (I think...)
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Cyclone wrote:
> I realise the UK has problems. I also think they're pretty
> insignificant to other nation's problems. Just my picky point I
> nearly always add to a conversation. :D

Compared to some countries, yes we're in a pretty rosy situation... but that doesn't mean there's not scope for a lot of improvement, which should have happened based on the bull we're fed by politicians all the time. Anyway, I'd say the whole world is facing a downward spiral at the moment... Ever the optimist... ;-)
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:25
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
SHEEPY wrote:
> I object however to being forced to carry one everytime I leave my
> house.

They will make these tagging devices compulsory won't they!
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:22
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
On a more seriosu note, these ID cards sound like a waste of time. It's going to take billions of pounds and a shedload of time to introduce them. Once they've been introduced, the technology will have advanced so far that they'll be out of date (they're talking about a 2010 date for forcing all UK citizens to have one, and going by deadlines and problems associated with complex technology such as this, that'll get pushed back).

So in six years we may have some outdated cards with data on them to help counteract terrorism and suchlike. The only way you know if someone is here illegally is if you ask to see their card... unless you set up scanners all over the shop to scan people for carrying the cards. But then that begins to infringe on your rights, because for it to be effective, you'd have to be scanned pretty much anywhere for your card, then check somehow it actually was your card (ie. fingerprint scan, iris scan). To me it all seems a waste of money, and would be an inconveniance at best, and an infringement on your privacy at worst.
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I realise the UK has problems. I also think they're pretty insignificant to other nation's problems. Just my picky point I nearly always add to a conversation. :D
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:13
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Look at the people running the country. It seems in a pretty awful state... ;-)
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:04
Regular
"gsybe you!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> With the awful state the
> country is,

Sorry, I know we do have issues that need sorting out, but to be honest, how can one call this country 'in an awful state'?

Just being picky :)
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:02
"period drama"
I don't mind having them - it doesn't really bother me.
But it's going to cost 3 billion pounds. With the awful state the country is, the money would be much, much better spent elsewhere.

And I don't understand how this will combat anything.
It's not going to have an Occupation / special interests box for terrorists and pedos to fill in.

What I do find quite worrying is if they make everything automated, and on one card - so wherever you go and whatever you do, you'll need to use it. Then you could be tracked wherever you go, which isn't nice.

One country's got this already. Can't remember which - a little help?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.