GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ID Cards - A Non Insane and Non Fundamentalist Opinion"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/04/04 at 16:52
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Personally, I don't object to the introduction of ID cards. What I do object to is the government trying to scare us into accepting them. I'm ripping off something that someone else raised here, but...

If they help prevent terrorism, how come Spain (which has ID cards) got bombed?

If they protect kids from paedos, how come Marc Dutroix raped and murdered kids in Belgium (which has ID cards).

If they stop illegal immigrants, how come all of Europe still has an illegal immigrant problem?

I'd rather a government was honest and said "It helps us track our citizens". Scaremongering arouses the ire of civil libertarians everywhere.
Tue 27/04/04 at 16:52
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Personally, I don't object to the introduction of ID cards. What I do object to is the government trying to scare us into accepting them. I'm ripping off something that someone else raised here, but...

If they help prevent terrorism, how come Spain (which has ID cards) got bombed?

If they protect kids from paedos, how come Marc Dutroix raped and murdered kids in Belgium (which has ID cards).

If they stop illegal immigrants, how come all of Europe still has an illegal immigrant problem?

I'd rather a government was honest and said "It helps us track our citizens". Scaremongering arouses the ire of civil libertarians everywhere.
Tue 27/04/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
> If they help prevent terrorism, how come Spain (which has ID cards)
> got bombed?

The operative phrase here is 'help prevent'. I cannot personally see how ID cards could help prevent but there again you only hear of tradegies. I should imagine that they would not release figures stated how many possible terrorist threats these had stopped.

> If they protect kids from paedos, how come Marc Dutroix raped and
> murdered kids in Belgium (which has ID cards).

Do these cards have DNA on them? I don't know the case in question (and I'm too lazy to try to find anything) but I believe that DNA on the card would help to idenify criminals. DNA technology is still growing and expanding. However, while it may be easy to identify the culprit catching them is another matter.

> If they stop illegal immigrants, how come all of Europe still has an
> illegal immigrant problem?

Again I cannot see how they can possibly stop illegal immigrants (unless they make them into huge plastic walls along all fronts to make the borders visible :D ) but, as you said, keeping track of your own citizens should make it easier to spot someone who isn't.

I personally think the idea of the ID card is a good one. I have no problems with it as I have details about myself spread throughout several databases and while employed can always be tracked down by my National Insurance number. I also think that a DNA profile should be put on the card.

There was something else I was going to say but I've lost it for the moment and will come back if I remember.
Tue 27/04/04 at 18:02
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Seems waste of money but I've not got any civil 'rights' objection to them.

And would stop fake IDs for under 18s... haha I'M OVER 18 NOW
Tue 27/04/04 at 18:05
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I don't mind the idea as such, as my information is all over the net for anybody to grab. Unfortunatly. But as an idea, the ID card is not that bad.

Like Light said, it's intention. I highly doubt we're about to enter Big Brother land, but it'd be nice if everything was not centred on huge 'scare-factors' which we're all supposed to be cowering in our cellars from.
Tue 27/04/04 at 18:09
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I object however to being forced to carry one everytime I leave my house.
Tue 27/04/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Thanks Cyclone, that reminded me of the other thing I wanted to post :D

The same kind of scaremonger arose when CCTV's were introduced. The headlines all read about the Big Brother theory. Now that they are actually installed people don't even notice or bother about them, infact the more the merrier.
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:02
"period drama"
I don't mind having them - it doesn't really bother me.
But it's going to cost 3 billion pounds. With the awful state the country is, the money would be much, much better spent elsewhere.

And I don't understand how this will combat anything.
It's not going to have an Occupation / special interests box for terrorists and pedos to fill in.

What I do find quite worrying is if they make everything automated, and on one card - so wherever you go and whatever you do, you'll need to use it. Then you could be tracked wherever you go, which isn't nice.

One country's got this already. Can't remember which - a little help?
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:04
Regular
"gsybe you!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> With the awful state the
> country is,

Sorry, I know we do have issues that need sorting out, but to be honest, how can one call this country 'in an awful state'?

Just being picky :)
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:13
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Look at the people running the country. It seems in a pretty awful state... ;-)
Tue 27/04/04 at 19:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I realise the UK has problems. I also think they're pretty insignificant to other nation's problems. Just my picky point I nearly always add to a conversation. :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.