GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Snapshot Moments"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/04/04 at 20:30
Regular
"cachoo"
..or Flashbulb Memories.

Have any of you ever heard of these? A snapshot moment or a flashbulb memory? You probably have, but never mind, eh?

Got this book, called Learn To Remember shush
But I was having a little read of it the other day, and it brought the snapshot moment subject up.
This is what it said:

"Do you remember what you were doing when you heard of Princess Diana's death (August 31, 1997) ?

When a very shocking event takes place, often we recall a host of trivial details that occured in our lives at the same time, such as 'where we were', or 'who we were with'. Those are called flashbulb memories. Blah blah blah..

Anyways. Write me your snapshot moments. And.. can you remember what you were doing and who you were with when you found out about Princess Di? Or even 9/11? Or any other good/bad memory?
Tue 27/04/04 at 11:26
Regular
I don't remember what happened when Princess Diana died. But I do remember 11th September. I was in school. We were having homework session when our teacher came in, and she said that planes had crashed into the twin towers. And because I'm so ignorant, and have only been to USA once, I didn't know what the twin towers were.
Tue 27/04/04 at 11:03
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
September 11th was a bit of a weird one. Me and my girlfriend had just moved into a flat in Cambridge. We went for lunch at the Fort St George pub, off that big green that I can't remember the name of (Jesus Common?), and I remember a group of men with phones outside talking to an old couple, although I didn't know what the commotion was for at first. So we had a quick lunch and headed into town. Forbidden Planet, in fact, and that's where we first saw what was happening on a little television they had at the back. I saw it through a door, poked my head through and asked the bloke "Is that real, it's not one of your films, is it?". Then as he was telling me what had happened, the second tower fell, and me and my girlfriend went home.

But our flat didn't have a TV yet. The only time in my life when I haven't had access to a TV, and probably the only time when I ever really needed one. So we only had the radio version of events to listen to, and that was pretty glum. The first time we saw any pictures of the events was the next day, all over the papers. Pictures of planes hitting buildings, and people in mid-air 70 stories up. Pretty harsh, but I've seen worse images and video clips before, thanks to the power of the Internet. The first time we saw any footage of the attacks was a week later, when we went to my girlfriend's parent's house for a Sunday dinner.

As for Princess Diana, I couldn't give a toss. Not a big fan of the Royal Family. Money, space and time-wasting weasels. Why couldn't she have died before she had those two little basturd waste-of-space-Princes? And the Queen Mother was really old, so what's the beef there? I wish I could live that long, at the tax-payer's expense. They've got it sweet.
Tue 27/04/04 at 10:57
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
mikelar wrote:
> it sounds really tacky when people here say "I woke up for no
> reason on the morn of Di's death, it woh reet weird" like they
> had some spiritual link with her or something...

I thought that, but I never said I had a spiritual link with Princess Diana, I barely knew of her at the time and certainly am not a fan of hers, so I have no reason to think I do really have a link with her, of which I certainly do not. If that makes sense.
Tue 27/04/04 at 08:53
Regular
"Selected"
it sounds really tacky when people here say "I woke up for no reason on the morn of Di's death, it woh reet weird" like they had some spiritual link with her or something...
Tue 27/04/04 at 07:51
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
When the princess died I really couldn't have cared less so I've no idea.

9/11 - I was at work but husband was at home. He was watching a video that morning and stopped it to get a drink. At the same time that he stopped it they were showing the first tower going and he originally thought it was a Bruce Willis movie, until he came back in from the kitchen and heard the dialogue. He called me and I called my boss, who was at an exhibition. They juggled around with penknives to get a picture on the TV which was on the stand and I got told there was a huge crowd gathered on our stand as no one else in the hall had heard about it.

Queen mum? I remember being sad but nothing else about the time.
Mon 26/04/04 at 23:16
Regular
Mon 26/04/04 at 22:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Princess Diana: I was away in the Lake District with my Brother and Parents, and for some reason we were all awake at 4:00am so we flicked on the Tv. It was plastered all over it.

9/11: Just gone back to school, and was waiting at the bus stop after school. I overhead some random old guy talking about aeroplanes and thought nothing of it, until I got off the bus where my Mum proceeded to tell me.
Mon 26/04/04 at 22:58
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
How about....Take That spitting up?

With the Queen Mother thing like Timmargh said...i was at work leaning on the beer pumps and a customer told me..
Mon 26/04/04 at 22:50
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Flockhart wrote:
> Jill dando - Coming home from school in a minibus, turned on the
> radio heard jill dando shot dead outside her home, my first thought
> was what the f**k was going on, it was unreal.

I can't say I can remember where I was when this happened, though I do remember the horrible details.
Mon 26/04/04 at 22:42
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Diana - I came down one sunday morning everyone was sitting at the breakfast table, the t.v wasnt on and they just said she had died in a car accident and i thought they were winding me up.

9/11 - I woke up late in the afternoon, switched on the tv and saw some building that was on fire, didnt think much of it until they showed what happened, and i sat on my bed thinking the worlds gone mad while i've been asleep, i presumed it was a accident until the second plane.

And to add another

Jill dando - Coming home from school in a minibus, turned on the radio heard jill dando shot dead outside her home, my first thought was what the f**k was going on, it was unreal.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.