GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC3200 RAM"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/04/04 at 15:20
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I ideally want to pay less than £80 and want 512mB. However, I have an Abit NF7 motherboard (NForce2) and was wondering what would be the best ram I could/should get and from where!

I'll let you guys beaver away on that one!!
Fri 23/04/04 at 15:20
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I ideally want to pay less than £80 and want 512mB. However, I have an Abit NF7 motherboard (NForce2) and was wondering what would be the best ram I could/should get and from where!

I'll let you guys beaver away on that one!!
Fri 23/04/04 at 15:44
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
[URL]http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ABIT%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ABIT&cat=RAM&model=NF7&submit=Go[/URL]

Great service, my RAM took 2-3 days to arrive, and I ordered Sunday.
Fri 23/04/04 at 15:53
"I love yo... lamp."
£80 would get you a single 512 Mb stick, of say Kingston HyperX or TwinMOS Twister, but what you would be better off with is 2 sticks of 256 Mb, so that you can take full advantage of the dual channel capabilities of the motherboard.

Corsair, Kingston HyperX, TwinMOS (even their value RAM, it overclocks rather nicely), OCZ, there are a bunch of memory manufacturers out there. If you are not going to overclock then a generic PC3200 stick would be fine. If you want to mess around and overclock, then you'll need something a bit better.
Fri 23/04/04 at 20:11
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Okay..... I was looking at the Crucial stuff. (On the dual channel system point I was looking at adding another 512MB module a couple of months after the system was finished- then I WOULD go dual-channel- just with 512MB sticks!)

Would getting a stick of RAM (512MB) give better performance as a PC2700 CAS2.5 stick or a PC3200 CAS3.0 stick.

Also interested as the Abit NF7 will let you use 3 sticks of upto PC2700 memory, but only 2 if you use PC3200
Fri 23/04/04 at 20:12
Regular
"Nickelback no. 1 fa"
www.freewebs.com/nickelback$
Fri 23/04/04 at 20:38
Regular
"Digging!"
Alexrose1uk wrote:

> Also interested as the Abit NF7 will let you use 3 sticks of upto
> PC2700 memory, but only 2 if you use PC3200

Its normaly best to use the most chips you can to fill the sockets.
Fri 23/04/04 at 23:47
"I love yo... lamp."
Alexrose1uk wrote:
> Okay..... I was looking at the Crucial stuff. (On the dual channel
> system point I was looking at adding another 512MB module a couple of
> months after the system was finished- then I WOULD go dual-channel-
> just with 512MB sticks!)
>
> Would getting a stick of RAM (512MB) give better performance as a
> PC2700 CAS2.5 stick or a PC3200 CAS3.0 stick.

That is fairly poor performance. There is much better out there.
>
> Also interested as the Abit NF7 will let you use 3 sticks of upto
> PC2700 memory, but only 2 if you use PC3200

If you use three sticks you lose the ability to run in dual channel mode, so it isn't really worth it.

I say get yourself a 512 Mb of TwinMOS value stuff, PC3200 CAS 2.5, then when you can get another stick of it. Costs about £45-50. Overclocks not to bad as well, so you could get faster than that out of it.
Sat 24/04/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Does TwinMos stuff work with the Abit NF7 as I've seen warning on the overclockers.co.uk recommending you don't use it with NForce2 boards?

Cheersm, if it does work perfectly I may go for that!
Sun 25/04/04 at 01:49
"I love yo... lamp."
That confused me. I'm running two sticks of it, in dual channel mode, at the moment. Had it overclocked to 227 MHz at CAS 2.5 timings on only 2.6V. Which is good.
Sun 25/04/04 at 21:06
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> That confused me. I'm running two sticks of it, in dual channel mode,
> at the moment. Had it overclocked to 227 MHz at CAS 2.5 timings on
> only 2.6V. Which is good.

What motherboard are you using?

What I was referring to was the comments I'd read on sites, and on the Overclcokers site, that TwinMos ram doesn't work properly with some NForce2 motherboards, and as such Overclockers doesn't recommend it.

What board are you using?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.