GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forum Moderators"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/09/09 at 17:50
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
As you all know by now it is always our aim to improve the forums and one of the steps I am taking to this aim is to get the moderating team into the mix a bit more helping out and generating a bit of traffic for the relevant sections.

So shortly you should notice a quick shuffle up of moderators and 1 moderator per section (some may continue to have 2 if needed).

Some examples of our aim here is to allow users the chance to help the site along, and take a more active role in the running of the site.

I will need some more volunteers however (1 or 2 new ones). So what I'm going to do is ask people to apply if they want to help me out as part of the forums moderating team. If you want to apply please visit APPLY NOW

Any questions ask away, and if you are very interested in helping, my contact can be used under my name as always :D
Thu 24/09/09 at 14:07
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Not at all. Do you not read any of the emails I send you? :P Haha

Even did that snazzy signature specially for email'ing you guys :D
Thu 24/09/09 at 14:41
"possibly impossible"
Yeah, I know you asked me! I was just checking you didn't want me to re-apply too.

I did reply to both your emails in the end.
Thu 24/09/09 at 15:00
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Of course I don't. I'm not going to be taking away anyone's status unless they don't want to do it :D

I know you answered by the way :P
Thu 24/09/09 at 16:41
Regular
"How Ironic"
Warhunt wrote:
> Couldn't accept your application anyway Chris. You would
> probably get people to sign up then steal their hubcaps while
> they were online! Mwahaha.

Racism!! Implication that scousers steal hubcaps, disregarding the fact that it's true.

I think i'd enjoy being a moderator, but at this exact moment, i've got a bit of work to do, but say in a month's time, i'll be back in full swing, and my first review (for awhile!) will be up. May aswell apply; what harm can it do!

(I expect an apologetic email for the blatent discrimination i suffer aswell :P)
Thu 24/09/09 at 17:00
Regular
When Freeola took over this community and deleted most of the forums, we had to apply as moderators to get them back. Unfortunately they wanted a minimum of 3 different people for each forum. So in the end we created 5 custom forums (Movies & TV, Sports, Reviews, Creative Design, Inteligent Discussion) with a total of 15 moderators. (can't remember who they were as some of us ran GC and the games forum)

We complained at the time that a minimum of 3 moderators was just too many, but the staffies ignored us. We also complained that we needed global moderators because on many occassions we had spamming in General Chat and 5 moderators from other forums who couldn't do a think to stop them.

Most of us made good moderators apart from one guy who moderated GC, he abused his powers and editted other peoples posts just as an excuse to do something. This didn't go down well and he soon left.

Hopefully you'll pick new moderators like pb, GP and the others. They post frequently, are very helpful and almost never use their mod powers.

Has Garin applied yet? I'm sure he will.
Thu 24/09/09 at 17:18
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Not that I know of, but that's not open knowledge :P

I see your point Machie, and will take this into consideration. I have been thinknig of how to go about this for a while, and hopefully it will be a beneficial change.

Being honest at the moment, we don't have the user base to operate the amount of moderators etc, but the whole point of the change is to try and increase this base.
Thu 24/09/09 at 18:04
Regular
"How Ironic"
Wether my application is successful or not, i'd loved to try and help grow Freeola. If there's anything i can do, just email me ;)
Thu 24/09/09 at 18:09
"Are you sure?"
I have to agree with Machie about Moderator powers.

Being restricted to one forum doesn't always work well.
I mentioned it here when there was a spam attack going on (heh it's a Machie thread!) but didn't get a response...

I can see where the idea comes from, as I'm mostly over in the Freeola Services and Techie forums as that what interests me!

But I can't see why a mod can't 'help out' else where if the idiots have arrived :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 24/09/09 at 18:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Warhunt wrote:
> Being honest at the moment, we don't have the user base to
> operate the amount of moderators etc, but the whole point of the
> change is to try and increase this base.

Are you trying to say tinkering with moderator roles will help to increase the user base?
Thu 24/09/09 at 18:21
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
@garin: Re read the original post. The intentions are to tinker with moderator roles so that they can help increase the base. The exact ideas and thoughts behind this will be discussed with the successful applicants and current moderators when I have got everything decided.

@Hmmm... I see the point, what we collectively don't see is the need. It is very rare for the moderator's to actually have to moderate anything. Believe me we get reports when they do.

However on the rare occasion this would be a good idea to have the option. The majority of the moderating will be done by staff however, other than outside of work hours, which let's be honest....is not that great a time period.

I will have a think on it, and see if maybe a spread of power is needed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.