GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Bible is fiction."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/04/04 at 19:15
Regular
"but i am a sheep..."
The bible was written a long time ago and was used as a way of controlling people. Ordinary people were scared of this thing known as God because they did not understand death. We still do not understand death but at least we understand life a little better.
God was used to explain the unexplainable but now we understand some of the unexplainable. We no longer need God like our ancesters. All we need is hope...
Human nature is destruction and the only thing that we should hope for is that we do not destroy the beautiful planet on which we live. We do not deserve the gifts we have but maybe one day we will be truely gateful for them...
Page:
Fri 15/10/04 at 07:26
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Ant wrote:
> What I am interested to know is though, all the people here arguing
> against the Bible and religion and the like...do you not feel that
> following the Bible should technically be the way we live our lives
> anyway? Or at least try to?
>

So...what, I should declare war on certain races of people, never cut my hair at the sides, kill anyone who breaks the sabbath, and tell anyone who's sight is poor that they may not get into heaven? Or do you mean the good bits about brotherly love? The problem with the Bible is that it's such a contradictory book that attempting to live your life by it leads to...well, look at Forest Fan. It has some good idea's in it, yeah. But then, so do most Science Fiction books and no-one (well...with the exception of L Ron Hubbard and the Scientologists) is saying "Live your life by these rules".

> I'm not preaching or anything because I'm no saint myself and often
> I've gone against what God and The Bible teaches, but don't you think
> if everyone on the planet at least tried to live their lives the way
> the Bible teaches we should, that the World would be a much better
> place?

Depends on which parts of the Bible. And why just that? Why not the Koran?
Fri 15/10/04 at 07:22
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Ant wrote:
> Ah cmon, if we're honest here the whole 'developed' Evolution theory
> is utterly clothed in scientific psychobabble. :D It's hardly perfect
> either, so to say point-blank that "The Bible is fiction"
> seems a little over-zealous to me. Every theory has its own flaws,
> and Evolution certainly isn't an exception.

Heh; "I don't understand this, ergo it must be meaningless babble".

No, it's not perfect; good science is about coming up with theories and testing them with the available evidence. It's not perfect in the eyes of christians because a lot of you seem to expect the same level of divinity from science as you get from faith. You want it to explain EVERYTHING, and being as how science has only developed over the last couple of hundred years, there are a lot of holes where explanations are needed. I would have thought that a religion that took nigh on 400 years to put it's Holy Book together would have shown some patience.

> I could say "Evolution is fiction" and you would all jump
> on me no doubt. Then again, Darwin did in fact admit that on his
> deathbed. :P

Ah yes; the oft repeated and utterly without proof accusation that all christians resort to; a Lady Grace (though I may be wrong there) made this claim, yet there is no basis for it beyond Darwin's admission that he was upset at his work being used to destroy the faith of so many.

But, as many christians' views on Evolution show, they're not one to let such trifling things as facts get in the way of a good story.
Thu 14/10/04 at 23:20
Regular
"I like cheese"
Jim of Honor wrote:
> Gabbo wrote:
> The beginning of what?
>
> Some crazy f****d up world? To be honest, I don't want anything to
> do
> with the person who created this.
>
> Couldn't agree more.
>
> But we don't have that choice, do we Forest? We're stuck in God's
> 'wonderful' system, whether we like it or not, aren't we?
>
> That's free choice for all!!! etc

Yes, and I suppose it's God's fault that we live in a crazy f****d up world is it? I suppose it's God actually told those people to go and blow up the Twin Towers, eh? I suppose God's always telling people to go out and steal, kill etc.

You contradict yourselves guys, God gave us free will so we could make the choice whether to follow him or not, and it's pretty damn obvious that a helluva lot of people in this World have gone against him, because there's a lot of evil in this world. I'm not denying that, but here's the way I see it - if God plucked crashing planes out of the sky and landed them to safety, and got rid of all the evil in the world, surely we'd be in heaven already?

You don't like God's 'wonderful' system? Would you have rather not been born? The system WAS wonderul, until we mucked it up. Maybe not you or me personally, but mankind did, but you know what? God's always gonna be there for you, but what's he supposed to do if you ignore him and don't believe in him? This world may not be a great place but that isn't God's fault, God has always helped me out when I've needed him...so you ask him to come and show how great He is and how great the World can be? He can't show you how great he is if you don't believe in him.

But as you've said...that's up to you. Because you have free will.
Thu 14/10/04 at 23:07
Regular
"I like cheese"
What I am interested to know is though, all the people here arguing against the Bible and religion and the like...do you not feel that following the Bible should technically be the way we live our lives anyway? Or at least try to?

I'm not preaching or anything because I'm no saint myself and often I've gone against what God and The Bible teaches, but don't you think if everyone on the planet at least tried to live their lives the way the Bible teaches we should, that the World would be a much better place?

EDIT - By the way, I'm not trying to accuse you all of murdering people, or committing robbery on a regular basis.
Thu 14/10/04 at 23:04
Regular
"I like cheese"
Ah cmon, if we're honest here the whole 'developed' Evolution theory is utterly clothed in scientific psychobabble. :D It's hardly perfect either, so to say point-blank that "The Bible is fiction" seems a little over-zealous to me. Every theory has its own flaws, and Evolution certainly isn't an exception.

Neither is the Bible of course, yeah, it has a few contradictions in it no doubt, but taken from an overall perspective I think it wraps up everything rather neatly. :D In addition, there's a also a lot of physical evidence to prove many of the stories told in the Bible are true. Bare with me here because my knowledge is a bit shaky (heh), but I believe it was the towns of Sodom and Gomor...Gomar...I dunno, Gomorrah or something, that were destroyed by God because, to put it bluntly, they were so evil. In the Bible it says they were destroyed with balls of sulphur, and guess what, the environment where these towns supposedly were is literally covered in rocks of sulphur. I'm sure if I wanted to could find lots of other examples on the Internet, but I don't really have time time or energy to argue against the statement "the bible is fiction." Although, I do agree with the rest of the sentiments put forward by the creator of this topic

I could say "Evolution is fiction" and you would all jump on me no doubt. Then again, Darwin did in fact admit that on his deathbed. :P
Wed 13/10/04 at 20:46
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
The bible is a collection of beliefs a story (fiction) that tells many life tales, I think somebody messed around with the names and used friends as examples and made things more dramatic... praise the lord for all his worth! Then tell him he is fiction! Anyway is the men could move that rock over the cave surly after a struggle Jesus could...? Surely.
Wed 13/10/04 at 20:13
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
There could be truth in it, but a lot of it seems possibly "coloured-up".

Then again, what would you want to read in one sitting? The Bible or War and Peace?
Wed 13/10/04 at 14:05
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
hmm...thats an interesting topic..I dont say I agree with your arguments as a whole, but...a lot of it IS fiction..like...the garden of eden..and many parables..if not all of them. but..how can you define something as fiction, when there isnt as much fact in it. I know theres a lot of "blah begat blah" in the old testement and actual events which cant necessarily be confirmed...but..arrggh..its just so...tricky.
Wed 13/10/04 at 09:22
Regular
"Don't let me down"
> Forest Fan wrote:
> Light, I'm only spending 5 minutes here today - so I'm not 'running
> away' but all I will say is that a creationist and an evolutionist
> look at a rock in two different ways. How anyone can conclude that a
> rock is 55 million years old or something like that is beyond me.
>
It's called science
Wed 13/10/04 at 07:29
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Forest Fan wrote:
> Light, I'm only spending 5 minutes here today - so I'm not 'running
> away' but all I will say is that a creationist and an evolutionist
> look at a rock in two different ways. How anyone can conclude that a
> rock is 55 million years old or something like that is beyond me.

And there, in a nutshell, you have the religious nut approach to science; "I don't understand it, ergo it cannot possibly be true". I'm constantly astounded by the arrogance of that belief.

> Oh,
> and before you ask I've looked at the 'scientific theory' behind it
> and I was far from convinced.

Nah, you haven't. I tried to quiz you about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and asked you for your definition of a closed system, and you refused to answer. You may have looked at scientific theory, but it's plainly obvious that you haven't actually read it.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.