GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Wind Waker kicks most other games ass"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker'.
Sun 22/05/05 at 12:55
Regular
Started replaying Wind Waker again recently (last time I played was exactly two years to the day. Fate? :'-O)

Just reminded me how fantastic it is. This happened to me with Mario Sunshine; at the time I didn't really appreciate how excellent it was, then I restarted it and it was just so much better than I remembered. After such a slow and monotonous end to Wind Waker (even though collecting Triforce pieces was such a *yawn* challenge), I kinda made my mind up that it was good, but not that good.

Playing it though... bar one or two games (Metroid Prime, Resident Evil), nothing has come close to it since. Okay, the sailing was annoying, and Tingle was a bit of a money-grabbing ass, but the sense or scale was immense; seeing different islands from miles off and slowly turning into huge worlds. It just feels so much bigger than any other Zelda I've played before. And if feels as if things really progress, some days rain will hail down on your boat, lightning will strike, on when it sunny seagulls will follow you as you try to knock them out of sky by hitting them with your sail.

Then there's fact just how much you can do. You'll be needing to rush to a certain area and get sidetracked for half an hour on so on some small island. I spend around half on hour on the letter sorting game alone.

I think in five years time, once people have stopped being red-faced about some branch snapping in an unconvincing manner, they'll see the direction change as a great one.

Although still no Majora's Mask.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:44
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
> Played it. It was so similar to the other zelda games I sold it in
> order to get Time Splitters Future Perfect.
>
> ...
>
> Right...
>
> You sold a Zelda game which was rather different in many respects for
> a game that was pretty much identical to Timesplitters 2.
>
> As you do.

Look at how identical Zelda is to it's other games heres the main story. Woman gets lost. Hero attempts to save woman. Hero has to go through a number of identical dungeons to an identical ending. Whoop-dee-doo.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:47
Regular
"the burning sky"
Alfonse wrote:
> Look at how identical Zelda is to it's other games heres the main
> story. Woman gets lost. Hero attempts to save woman. Hero has to go
> through a number of identical dungeons to an identical ending.
> Whoop-dee-doo.

Strange, the same principle could be applied to pretty much every genre that had its own fanchises. GTA? TombRaider? Anybody?
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:49
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Alfonse wrote:

> Whoop-dee-doo.

The same could be said to just about every other sequel, ever. And I don't know what Zelda games you have played, but identical dungeons? Are you serious?

As for the ending, I fail to see how Zelda games have the same ending... just compare OOT/MM/WW for example...
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:58
Regular
I think Stridiot would be best off sticking to smashing his face on the bongo drums.
Sun 22/05/05 at 18:42
Regular
"0228"
Dringo wrote:
> Lol no it wasn't THAT bad... I've seen far far far worse.

But it's so bad because it's a Zelda game and you expect so much more, and after playing through such a quest you expect a bit more.
Sun 22/05/05 at 19:00
Regular
"i know all da cheat"
tell some of the people to stop ignoreing me i didnt even no what i was doing at the sart and they hate me now
Sun 22/05/05 at 19:03
Regular
"0228"
Did somebody say something?
Sun 22/05/05 at 19:11
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I wasn't going to ignore him until he said that. Oh well - have fun with nobody noticing you.

WW was good but it wasn't as good as either MM or OOT, and you expect that with the more powerful console and the fact they have made 2 games from which to learn, it would be. That's what disappoints people, in that it should be better - like TW is looking. It did feel rushed, and although the world was quite large, it felt very sparse. Most of the islands didn't really have much on them. The game felt a little rushed to me, especially when you go to see the big fish and he just GIVES you the pearl, then the fact that the triforce maps are so easy to get and aren't in dungeons. If they'd had more time it could have been a massive game - with huge islands and loads and loads of dungeons.

It is easily the bst looking Zelda game, and the combat is awesome. The environments were also astonishing, especially the volcano one, but there just weren't enough of them. I still think of it as one of my bst GC games, but it really could have been so much better.
Sun 22/05/05 at 19:21
Regular
"0228"
Aye, I know what you mean, but we do have Twilight Princess to look forward to and that will/must be brilliant. I have absolute faith that Nintendo will make up for the flaws in Wind Waker and then all will be forgiven and forgotten.
Sun 22/05/05 at 20:35
Regular
Chipseh wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
>
> Whoop-dee-doo.
>
> The same could be said to just about every other sequel, ever. And I
> don't know what Zelda games you have played, but identical dungeons?
> Are you serious?

He probably played Ocarina of Time then Master Quest...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.