GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Wind Waker kicks most other games ass"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker'.
Sun 22/05/05 at 12:55
Regular
Started replaying Wind Waker again recently (last time I played was exactly two years to the day. Fate? :'-O)

Just reminded me how fantastic it is. This happened to me with Mario Sunshine; at the time I didn't really appreciate how excellent it was, then I restarted it and it was just so much better than I remembered. After such a slow and monotonous end to Wind Waker (even though collecting Triforce pieces was such a *yawn* challenge), I kinda made my mind up that it was good, but not that good.

Playing it though... bar one or two games (Metroid Prime, Resident Evil), nothing has come close to it since. Okay, the sailing was annoying, and Tingle was a bit of a money-grabbing ass, but the sense or scale was immense; seeing different islands from miles off and slowly turning into huge worlds. It just feels so much bigger than any other Zelda I've played before. And if feels as if things really progress, some days rain will hail down on your boat, lightning will strike, on when it sunny seagulls will follow you as you try to knock them out of sky by hitting them with your sail.

Then there's fact just how much you can do. You'll be needing to rush to a certain area and get sidetracked for half an hour on so on some small island. I spend around half on hour on the letter sorting game alone.

I think in five years time, once people have stopped being red-faced about some branch snapping in an unconvincing manner, they'll see the direction change as a great one.

Although still no Majora's Mask.
Sun 22/05/05 at 14:59
Regular
It really is a fantastic game. One of the best games on the Cube.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:00
Regular
Played it. It was so similar to the other zelda games I sold it in order to get Time Splitters Future Perfect.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:03
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Alfonse wrote:
> Played it. It was so similar to the other zelda games I sold it in
> order to get Time Splitters Future Perfect.

What. The. Hell?
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:03
"period drama"
I must admit, I usually place WW as a general let-down.
But then I think about it ... especially seeing Outset for the first time, across the massive beach from the watchtower ... how much there was to do n Windfall ... and the black and white bit especially ... it's all good. More than good.

But still ... you measure its problems only in comparison to what OoT, MM had that it did not. If it was the only Zelda game, people would have no problems at all with it.

But, the fact is that is isn't the only Zelda game.
And I missed what wasn't there ... namely another couple of dungeons and at least one more inhabited island.

I'm sure I'll play it again one day and change my mind.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:27
Regular
Alfonse wrote:
> Played it. It was so similar to the other zelda games I sold it in
> order to get Time Splitters Future Perfect.

Right...

You sold a Zelda game which was rather different in many respects for a game that was pretty much identical to Timesplitters 2.

As you do.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:28
Regular
I'm pretty sure there were far more dungeons planned, but due to tiem contraints they had to cut back. Most notably the third pearl.

And I miss the gorons. We only got one in the whole game. :(
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:28
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> I'm pretty sure there were far more dungeons planned, but due to tiem
> contraints they had to cut back. Most notably the third pearl.
>
> And I miss the gorons. We only got one in the whole game. :(

That's assuming all the tradesmen were the same guy.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:29
Regular
It was missing a certain something towards the end. But there were so many amazing moments, I can't really criticise it too much.

The first time you step out into the insides of the volcano, using the deku leaf to fly over to the forest temple, you first visit to Windfall Island, star gazing with that kid in Windfall etc etc

Still one of the best games I've ever played, just not as good as Ocarina.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:33
Regular
"0228"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> It was missing a certain something towards the end.

Worst ending video ever seen in any game ever.
Sun 22/05/05 at 17:42
Regular
Lol no it wasn't THAT bad... I've seen far far far worse.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.