GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Wind Waker kicks most other games ass"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker'.
Sun 22/05/05 at 12:55
Regular
Started replaying Wind Waker again recently (last time I played was exactly two years to the day. Fate? :'-O)

Just reminded me how fantastic it is. This happened to me with Mario Sunshine; at the time I didn't really appreciate how excellent it was, then I restarted it and it was just so much better than I remembered. After such a slow and monotonous end to Wind Waker (even though collecting Triforce pieces was such a *yawn* challenge), I kinda made my mind up that it was good, but not that good.

Playing it though... bar one or two games (Metroid Prime, Resident Evil), nothing has come close to it since. Okay, the sailing was annoying, and Tingle was a bit of a money-grabbing ass, but the sense or scale was immense; seeing different islands from miles off and slowly turning into huge worlds. It just feels so much bigger than any other Zelda I've played before. And if feels as if things really progress, some days rain will hail down on your boat, lightning will strike, on when it sunny seagulls will follow you as you try to knock them out of sky by hitting them with your sail.

Then there's fact just how much you can do. You'll be needing to rush to a certain area and get sidetracked for half an hour on so on some small island. I spend around half on hour on the letter sorting game alone.

I think in five years time, once people have stopped being red-faced about some branch snapping in an unconvincing manner, they'll see the direction change as a great one.

Although still no Majora's Mask.
Sun 22/05/05 at 12:55
Regular
Started replaying Wind Waker again recently (last time I played was exactly two years to the day. Fate? :'-O)

Just reminded me how fantastic it is. This happened to me with Mario Sunshine; at the time I didn't really appreciate how excellent it was, then I restarted it and it was just so much better than I remembered. After such a slow and monotonous end to Wind Waker (even though collecting Triforce pieces was such a *yawn* challenge), I kinda made my mind up that it was good, but not that good.

Playing it though... bar one or two games (Metroid Prime, Resident Evil), nothing has come close to it since. Okay, the sailing was annoying, and Tingle was a bit of a money-grabbing ass, but the sense or scale was immense; seeing different islands from miles off and slowly turning into huge worlds. It just feels so much bigger than any other Zelda I've played before. And if feels as if things really progress, some days rain will hail down on your boat, lightning will strike, on when it sunny seagulls will follow you as you try to knock them out of sky by hitting them with your sail.

Then there's fact just how much you can do. You'll be needing to rush to a certain area and get sidetracked for half an hour on so on some small island. I spend around half on hour on the letter sorting game alone.

I think in five years time, once people have stopped being red-faced about some branch snapping in an unconvincing manner, they'll see the direction change as a great one.

Although still no Majora's Mask.
Sun 22/05/05 at 13:15
Regular
I thought it was excellent.
Sun 22/05/05 at 13:17
Regular
I did when I was playing it, just after years of people moaning about it you start to think maybe it was a bit crap after all.
Sun 22/05/05 at 13:24
Regular
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Only problem I really had with it was that is was too easy. I never really found the sailing to be a massive chore like most people. It was a pain at times but once you get the song that teleports you around the map, it really was no bother getting around.

It almost gave the game an epic feel when you set off in your boat to find new islands and stuff.
Sun 22/05/05 at 13:39
Regular
"lol"
I thought it was a brilliant game and probably the best Zelda. What i hate is Nintendo fan-boys who don't accept critism for the game. Yes it was good and all that, BUT:

Too short
Too easy
Too many puzzles
Just like other Zeldas.
No new storyline, just rescue the Princess...again *groans*
Sun 22/05/05 at 14:03
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Xzibit wrote:
> Too short
> Too easy
> Too many puzzles
> Just like other Zeldas.
> No new storyline, just rescue the Princess...again *groans*

If you got everything it'd take you days and days of game-play.

Too many puzzles? Eh? That's what Zelda is all about.

And if you're playing it for the storyline alone, then you're playing the wrong title. But I assume you missed out the whole bit with rescuing his sister?
Sun 22/05/05 at 14:29
Regular
As a Zelda storyline it was rather different, I mean yeah Save Zelda and get the tri-force... but they way it was executed was cunning.

Too many puzzles? Um?

It was too easy, I give it that. But at least it wasn't too hard. I hate games that are just too hard.
Sun 22/05/05 at 14:33
Regular
I thought the game was great...I did get a little bored sailing around, but just a little :P But it really was too easy and that's the only flaw I'd give it. I think I only properly died once.
Sun 22/05/05 at 14:42
Regular
"thursdayton!"
There are too few games these days where you can sail around, play with the camera, jump your boat up and down, watch the various weather effects and the sun rise/fall and really feel free.
Sun 22/05/05 at 14:54
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Tphi wrote:
> There are too few games these days where you can sail around, play
> with the camera, jump your boat up and down, watch the various
> weather effects and the sun rise/fall and really feel free.

Agreed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.