GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Wind Waker kicks most other games ass"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker'.
Sun 22/05/05 at 12:55
Regular
Started replaying Wind Waker again recently (last time I played was exactly two years to the day. Fate? :'-O)

Just reminded me how fantastic it is. This happened to me with Mario Sunshine; at the time I didn't really appreciate how excellent it was, then I restarted it and it was just so much better than I remembered. After such a slow and monotonous end to Wind Waker (even though collecting Triforce pieces was such a *yawn* challenge), I kinda made my mind up that it was good, but not that good.

Playing it though... bar one or two games (Metroid Prime, Resident Evil), nothing has come close to it since. Okay, the sailing was annoying, and Tingle was a bit of a money-grabbing ass, but the sense or scale was immense; seeing different islands from miles off and slowly turning into huge worlds. It just feels so much bigger than any other Zelda I've played before. And if feels as if things really progress, some days rain will hail down on your boat, lightning will strike, on when it sunny seagulls will follow you as you try to knock them out of sky by hitting them with your sail.

Then there's fact just how much you can do. You'll be needing to rush to a certain area and get sidetracked for half an hour on so on some small island. I spend around half on hour on the letter sorting game alone.

I think in five years time, once people have stopped being red-faced about some branch snapping in an unconvincing manner, they'll see the direction change as a great one.

Although still no Majora's Mask.
Mon 23/05/05 at 17:23
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Alfonse wrote:

> Actually you're right. i have finished all those games and they are
> rather different.

Remember, before you start typing:

MUST. ENGAGE. BRAIN.

Hopefully these incidents will be reduced in the future.
Mon 23/05/05 at 17:27
Regular
"0228"
Rickoss wrote:
> I actually liked the ending. It may not have been as good as some,
> but frozen Hyrule made up for that tenfold. What an amazing moment,
> perhaps the best in any Zelda title ever. Actually, no, that goes to
> first meeting the Happy Mask Shop Owner on Majora's Mask.

?

Riding Epona out of the ranch? Entering Hyrule field? Seeing Ganon rise from the dead in OoT? The ending sequence in MM? The final scene in OoT? And best of all, seeing adult Link for the first time?

Admittedly, they are primarily OoT moments but that just goes to show how brilliant that game is (Although I haven't played all of the 2D Zeldas).
Mon 23/05/05 at 17:29
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Chr1s wrote:
> What was rushed about it?

I made a whole post about it down there go look if you're interested. It could have been massive but it was short and easy, which is a shame.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:27
Regular
JFH wrote:
> Riding Epona out of the ranch? Entering Hyrule field? Seeing Ganon
> rise from the dead in OoT? The ending sequence in MM? The final scene
> in OoT? And best of all, seeing adult Link for the first time?

Happy Mask Shop Owner beats them all. One of the best characters ever.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:48
Regular
The last section of Wind Waker > Ganon's Castle in OOT.

The frozen Hyrule, the shadow dungeon, the boss fights with the puppet and the ending sequence were absolutely superb. I think I actually have a seperate save just before it so I can play through the whole section whenever I feel like it.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:50
Regular
"0228"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> The last section of Wind Waker > Ganon's Castle in OOT.

You lie. And the ending to Wind Waker sucked big fat hairy balls.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:55
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I didn't think Forzen Hyrule was as great as you all say. Sure it looked kinda cool but there was nothing to do there.

I enjoyed the ending but the boss fight was ridiculously easy. I don't think I lost any life and I wasn't being careful. I think the only reason people complain is because it was just like "shoot arrow shoot arrow oh he's dead", whereas Ganondorf+Ganon in OOT were quite a challenge.
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:18
Regular
"0228"
You didn't lose any life?

Ganondorf in OoT wasn't really too tough and Ganon was fairly simple after you worked out what it was you meant to be doing.
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:22
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Nah why would I lose any life? Fighting in WW wasn't ever difficult - with the counterattack it just became a QTE. I don't remember losing any life and if I did it wasn't enough to knock off any full hearts. It was a fun fight, but just didn't pose any challenge. Think about OOT- if you didn't time the sword swipes perfectly you lost a hell of a lot of life and had to start all over - think about the bosses in Prime, where you've gotta dodge about all over the place avoiding the boss' attacks and still manage to do some damage to it, for about 10 minutes. Ganondorf in WW was a 2 minute affair with no real danger of getting killed and no real attacks to avoid.
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:29
"period drama"
The counter-attack did kinda spoil things.
Being in a tiny room with 5 knights should have been scary - but you just stared at the top of the screen until A flashed. Repeat 'til win.

But WW had the wall-running da-dank imp things, which still give me nightmares.

I would say it was rushed, though.
I mean ... when you're just given the pearl by the big fish without having to actually do anything. That was a let-down ... and a great character just wasted.

As when you find the island destroyed - that should have been another dungeon or another inhabited isle which you could do stuff on, then it got smashed to bits.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.