GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Wind Waker kicks most other games ass"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker'.
Sun 22/05/05 at 12:55
Regular
Started replaying Wind Waker again recently (last time I played was exactly two years to the day. Fate? :'-O)

Just reminded me how fantastic it is. This happened to me with Mario Sunshine; at the time I didn't really appreciate how excellent it was, then I restarted it and it was just so much better than I remembered. After such a slow and monotonous end to Wind Waker (even though collecting Triforce pieces was such a *yawn* challenge), I kinda made my mind up that it was good, but not that good.

Playing it though... bar one or two games (Metroid Prime, Resident Evil), nothing has come close to it since. Okay, the sailing was annoying, and Tingle was a bit of a money-grabbing ass, but the sense or scale was immense; seeing different islands from miles off and slowly turning into huge worlds. It just feels so much bigger than any other Zelda I've played before. And if feels as if things really progress, some days rain will hail down on your boat, lightning will strike, on when it sunny seagulls will follow you as you try to knock them out of sky by hitting them with your sail.

Then there's fact just how much you can do. You'll be needing to rush to a certain area and get sidetracked for half an hour on so on some small island. I spend around half on hour on the letter sorting game alone.

I think in five years time, once people have stopped being red-faced about some branch snapping in an unconvincing manner, they'll see the direction change as a great one.

Although still no Majora's Mask.
Wed 25/05/05 at 11:01
Regular
Yeah, there were just 5 dungeons, there was gonna be at least 6 and maybe a few mini-dungeons.
Wed 25/05/05 at 00:32
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Did the bit with finding Jabun.. it was pretty obvious Great Fish Isle was going to be a dungeon :(
Tue 24/05/05 at 23:54
Regular
I never did follow that part of the game :)
Tue 24/05/05 at 23:35
Regular
"thursdayton!"
All the discussion got me playing through it again with the jim-jammed up Link. I'm now placing the pearls around - more sailing than previously remembered, but nothing too terrible. You can always go off and sail exploring if you don't want to follow the "sail here, do this" nature of parts of the game.
Tue 24/05/05 at 22:49
"period drama"
Rickoss wrote:
"I think in five years time, once people have stopped being red-faced about some branch snapping in an unconvincing manner, they'll see the direction change as a great one."

But really, in 5 years people are only going to be on about TTP.
I think after it comes out, WW will fade into 'that pretty one' somewhere in the background.

Although with every other Zelda game. Ever.

yey
Tue 24/05/05 at 22:45
"period drama"
Light + mirror puzzles are always satisfying for some reason.
Tue 24/05/05 at 22:11
Regular
"i know all da cheat"
yep it is so cool
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:33
Regular
"The definitive tag"
A very memorable part of The Wind Waker was the puzzle where you had to align a bunch of mirrors and statues correctly so you could move on. Rather typically of WW it wasn't too difficult, but it was quite satisfying seeing it all fit into place.
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:07
Regular
"i know all da cheat"
good for you ops times runing out next conversation wit da next person
Tue 24/05/05 at 17:24
"period drama"
Those were cool. Floormasters.
But I don't like fighting the same thing over and over, regardless of how nice it looks.

TTP better not do the same.
It's not like you're getting experience points or anything for fighting stuff.

When I pwn a room, I expect it to stay pwned until I saw otherwise.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.