GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help save the world."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/03 at 03:34
"I love yo... lamp."
You see this is an appeal for you to join www.find-a-drug.co.uk You might have heard about SETI@home, you know the thing where a program runs in the background using your unused processing power to scan data from a satellite dish.

Well FAD is similar in operation, except that instead of looking for aliens it looks for molecules and proteins that can be targeted for further research and stuff in finding a cure for cancer.

I have been running distributed computing projects for over a year now.
It doesn't require much effort, you download a small program and a work unit (WU). Then the program runs in the background just processing. When it finishes that WU it moves on to the next in the queue of 2 or 3 that you download every so often from the net. When it is finished it gets sent back to FAD.

The program doesn't cause slowdown, it only uses unused power, as whenever you do anything else like type a letter it lets you do that and then starts processing again. After all other than in video editing or really high powered games you only ever use an average of 10% or so of your computers capacity. So why don't you donate it to a good cause?

FAD has several ongoing projects. Currently these are cancer, HIV, malaria, multiple sclerosis, SARS and bio terrorism antidotes.

If you do decide to join, I have now created a Special Reserve team. The team number for entering on the setup screen is 2072. So come on join up. So far there is 13 of us in the team. Out of 147 teams, Special Reserve is ranked 54. There is even a linux version now.

One day our efforts could make a difference. Imagine the lives that could be saved. In Britain, 1 in 3 people get cancer. Over a million people a year die in developing countries from Malaria, 3 times as many as AIDS kills. Even so, HIV is at epidemic levels and kills 100,000s a year all around the world. 40 million people in Africa have HIV, and in time it will kill them all.

This project doesn't require anything much of you, all you have to do run the program in the background. You can help to make a difference. It all builds up, just from lots of people running this. So far nearly 4,000 years worth of computer time has been spent scanning 27.62 billion moleculules.

There have been successes in finding growth inhibitors on several occasions in several areas. So come on, join us and help save the world.
Page:
Mon 29/09/03 at 13:24
Regular
ello
Mon 29/09/03 at 22:48
"I love yo... lamp."
HalloHowArtThou wrote:
> I'm running (and have been for a while) UD Agent which is a SmallPox
> thingy.
>
> Get it off www.grid.org
>
> :-D

I ran UD for 9 months and put in some serious crunching. But FAD is better. Think used to be used by UD, but not now. Think has since been optimised by Intel themselves to run 40 times, not percent, 40 times faster than before. Plus UD don't care about their users, they are too comercially orientated and don't have a linux client.

FAD on the other hand have a wider range of projects, are very helpful (I asked a question on the forum and had the head guy answer it himself within 24 hours) and as there are fewer users and teams an SR team could do well in the stats ranking. It would barely register on UD.

FAD has also been the more reliable and doesn't have timeouts meaning that even old PCs can make a contribution.
Sat 04/10/03 at 16:46
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Urkie:
>
> A hit is molecule which is predicted to interact or bind with the
> protein receptor.
>
> In English that means that the program has come up with a molecule
> that will bind on to the cancer protein (or whatever other project's
> protein). If it binds, then it could possibly be used for treating or
> killing the protein.
>
> Some work units get a lot of hits. Some get none. Those that get none
> can be eradicated from billions to be calculated. If there are hits
> then they will be researched further.

ah, so if i get a molecule with a lot of hits (currently 200!), it would then go on to be researched, based on the hits it gets?
Sat 04/10/03 at 16:46
Regular
that makes more sense now...
Sat 04/10/03 at 16:47
Regular
my CPU rating is 168, whatever that means.
Sat 04/10/03 at 16:47
Regular
i also joined the SR team now.
Sat 04/10/03 at 16:51
Regular
wow, my 200-hits molecule must be one in a million, as i look at the number of jobs biggles has done, and total hits comes under 700. This molecule is lucky.....i can feel it...no...i can't.
Sat 04/10/03 at 16:52
Regular
EEEK........ERROR........oh, phew, thought i'd lost my molecule.
Sun 07/12/03 at 22:52
"I love yo... lamp."
Pop.

We have had a lot of new users since the last time anyone saw this.
Sun 07/12/03 at 23:02
I shall be joining. I think my two laptops will help a bit.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.