GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help save the world."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/03 at 03:34
"I love yo... lamp."
You see this is an appeal for you to join www.find-a-drug.co.uk You might have heard about SETI@home, you know the thing where a program runs in the background using your unused processing power to scan data from a satellite dish.

Well FAD is similar in operation, except that instead of looking for aliens it looks for molecules and proteins that can be targeted for further research and stuff in finding a cure for cancer.

I have been running distributed computing projects for over a year now.
It doesn't require much effort, you download a small program and a work unit (WU). Then the program runs in the background just processing. When it finishes that WU it moves on to the next in the queue of 2 or 3 that you download every so often from the net. When it is finished it gets sent back to FAD.

The program doesn't cause slowdown, it only uses unused power, as whenever you do anything else like type a letter it lets you do that and then starts processing again. After all other than in video editing or really high powered games you only ever use an average of 10% or so of your computers capacity. So why don't you donate it to a good cause?

FAD has several ongoing projects. Currently these are cancer, HIV, malaria, multiple sclerosis, SARS and bio terrorism antidotes.

If you do decide to join, I have now created a Special Reserve team. The team number for entering on the setup screen is 2072. So come on join up. So far there is 13 of us in the team. Out of 147 teams, Special Reserve is ranked 54. There is even a linux version now.

One day our efforts could make a difference. Imagine the lives that could be saved. In Britain, 1 in 3 people get cancer. Over a million people a year die in developing countries from Malaria, 3 times as many as AIDS kills. Even so, HIV is at epidemic levels and kills 100,000s a year all around the world. 40 million people in Africa have HIV, and in time it will kill them all.

This project doesn't require anything much of you, all you have to do run the program in the background. You can help to make a difference. It all builds up, just from lots of people running this. So far nearly 4,000 years worth of computer time has been spent scanning 27.62 billion moleculules.

There have been successes in finding growth inhibitors on several occasions in several areas. So come on, join us and help save the world.
Page:
Mon 01/09/03 at 01:36
Regular
oh okay, thanks.

Oh, and one more thing :)

When will i show up on the Sr team thingy on the stats thingy on the website? When i've completed a job?
Mon 01/09/03 at 01:41
"I love yo... lamp."
Once you have completed a job and sent it. If you check the queue then you'll probably have a few jobs waiting. If you do normally it runs through all of them before sending, so it could take a while. Click File then Send to upload any finished ones before waiting on all others in the queue finishing first.
Mon 01/09/03 at 01:42
"I love yo... lamp."
Another thing, after a job has been uploaded, the stats are only refreshed at 6 hour intervals through the day, 00:00, 06:00, 12:00 and 18:00.
Thu 04/09/03 at 02:51
Regular
5 jobs done now!
Thu 04/09/03 at 02:57
"I love yo... lamp."
You put my PC to shame.
Thu 25/09/03 at 23:23
"I love yo... lamp."
the_aoe_slaught wrote:
> Kiriyama wrote:
> I don't quite get how us running a programme can save people's
> lives...
>
> It runs small calculations on your computer. Virtually lag free too!
>
> So far i have 3 hits. Whatever that means.

Did you ever keep running it?
Mon 29/09/03 at 02:36
"I love yo... lamp."
Urkie:

A hit is molecule which is predicted to interact or bind with the protein receptor.

In English that means that the program has come up with a molecule that will bind on to the cancer protein (or whatever other project's protein). If it binds, then it could possibly be used for treating or killing the protein.

Some work units get a lot of hits. Some get none. Those that get none can be eradicated from billions to be calculated. If there are hits then they will be researched further.
Mon 29/09/03 at 10:19
"slightlyshortertagl"
I'm running (and have been for a while) UD Agent which is a SmallPox thingy.

Get it off www.grid.org

:-D
Mon 29/09/03 at 10:24
Indeed. And you're lagging behind the might of my 24 hour number crunching machine.
Mon 29/09/03 at 11:00
"slightlyshortertagl"
The 24 hour bit gives it away :-)
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.