GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help save the world."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/03 at 03:34
"I love yo... lamp."
You see this is an appeal for you to join www.find-a-drug.co.uk You might have heard about SETI@home, you know the thing where a program runs in the background using your unused processing power to scan data from a satellite dish.

Well FAD is similar in operation, except that instead of looking for aliens it looks for molecules and proteins that can be targeted for further research and stuff in finding a cure for cancer.

I have been running distributed computing projects for over a year now.
It doesn't require much effort, you download a small program and a work unit (WU). Then the program runs in the background just processing. When it finishes that WU it moves on to the next in the queue of 2 or 3 that you download every so often from the net. When it is finished it gets sent back to FAD.

The program doesn't cause slowdown, it only uses unused power, as whenever you do anything else like type a letter it lets you do that and then starts processing again. After all other than in video editing or really high powered games you only ever use an average of 10% or so of your computers capacity. So why don't you donate it to a good cause?

FAD has several ongoing projects. Currently these are cancer, HIV, malaria, multiple sclerosis, SARS and bio terrorism antidotes.

If you do decide to join, I have now created a Special Reserve team. The team number for entering on the setup screen is 2072. So come on join up. So far there is 13 of us in the team. Out of 147 teams, Special Reserve is ranked 54. There is even a linux version now.

One day our efforts could make a difference. Imagine the lives that could be saved. In Britain, 1 in 3 people get cancer. Over a million people a year die in developing countries from Malaria, 3 times as many as AIDS kills. Even so, HIV is at epidemic levels and kills 100,000s a year all around the world. 40 million people in Africa have HIV, and in time it will kill them all.

This project doesn't require anything much of you, all you have to do run the program in the background. You can help to make a difference. It all builds up, just from lots of people running this. So far nearly 4,000 years worth of computer time has been spent scanning 27.62 billion moleculules.

There have been successes in finding growth inhibitors on several occasions in several areas. So come on, join us and help save the world.
Page:
Sat 30/08/03 at 22:20
Regular
"Selected"
I can do this.
Sat 30/08/03 at 22:25
Um, no, sounds like a load of crap to me.

I won't be doing this.
Sat 30/08/03 at 22:31
Regular
"Selected"
Im cynical as to how much this actually helps.....but i joined.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:17
"I love yo... lamp."
This gives you an idea of how the research has been going. From the Find A Drug website.

"Find-a-Drug is pleased to announce that the preliminary results of its Cancer Internet project have exceeded all expectations. By using the spare computer time of thousands of PCs connected to the Internet to form a large supercomputer, Find-a-Drug has been able to evaluate the potential of more than 0.5 billion molecules and produce a set of molecules that are predicted to inhibit the growth of various types of cancer cell. Scientists at the US National Cancer Institute have tested the abilities of a small number of molecules from the set as part of their Developmental Therapeutics Program.

"We had expected that only 2-3% of the molecules predicted to inhibit cancer cell growth would be observed to do so in the laboratory" commented Keith Davies, Scientific Director of Find-a-Drug. "In this study, 7 of the 39 molecules tested showed the desired anti-cancer properties".

These results relate to two proteins: RAS, which has been described by David Kerr, Professor of Oncology at of Oxford University as the "single access gate" for signalling cell development; and VEGFr which plays a key-role in the development of new blood vessels. Previous attempts to find RAS inhibitors have been less successful, but there are some VEGFr inhibitors in clinical trials. VEGFr is a very attractive protein to target because inhibiting the development of new blood vessels would be a valuable treatment for most solid tumours including breast, colon and renal cancers. VEGFr inhibitors may also be a viable alternative to chemotherapy following surgery with fewer side-effects. "

So some success so far.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:41
Regular
I've installed it. how do i join the sr team?
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:48
"I love yo... lamp."
On the control panel which comes up when you click on the desktop icon, click the general tab and enter 2072 in the team number box. Then OK it. Think it's update. The yes-I'm-sure-button.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:50
Regular
ah right cool. done it now.

1 job is running at the moment but i doesnt seem to be doing much.

Is there like a league table where it shows our teams rank?
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:58
"I love yo... lamp."
You can have a wee window that shows you some coloured lines moving about if you want.

Only 1 job will run (unless you happen to have a dual CPU system).

www.find-a-drug.co.uk and click on statistics on the frame on the left. You won't appear until you've uploaded something and the stats been updated (updated 4 times a day, at 00:00, 06:00, 12:00, 18:00).

Stats page also tells you a bit about each protein target. To find out which target you're running right click on the system tray icon and select either Job info, where there is some info, or Queue which brings up a window with completed, current and queued jobs.
Mon 01/09/03 at 01:14
Regular
How long does a job usually take on your PC? Mines been running for most of today and its only done 60% of one job. Am i doing something wrong?

I've got an xp1800+ and 1GB of ram with a 600K broadband connection.

Oh, and what does CPU rating mean? mine says 131
Mon 01/09/03 at 01:34
"I love yo... lamp."
Every job takes a different length of time. Most end up taking longer than a day on my PC, sometimes as much as 3 or 4 if it is a big job.

The CPU rating is a score used for A) calculating the points you get on the stats bit on the website and B) showing how much CPU power it is getting, but not as a percentage obviously.

A faster processor gives a better score. My PC averages about 45 and is a 633 MHz Celeron. Your PC is roughly 3 times more powerful and gives a score roughly 3 times higher.

If you start doing a lot on your PC all at the one time, like play a game, listen to MP3s or run Kazaa then the score drops as THINK gets less of the CPU.

Another thing is that the 60% of the job does not mean it is 60% time wise. It's 60 % through the data. It oftens speeds through some bits and slows down on other bits.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.