GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help save the world."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/03 at 03:34
"I love yo... lamp."
You see this is an appeal for you to join www.find-a-drug.co.uk You might have heard about SETI@home, you know the thing where a program runs in the background using your unused processing power to scan data from a satellite dish.

Well FAD is similar in operation, except that instead of looking for aliens it looks for molecules and proteins that can be targeted for further research and stuff in finding a cure for cancer.

I have been running distributed computing projects for over a year now.
It doesn't require much effort, you download a small program and a work unit (WU). Then the program runs in the background just processing. When it finishes that WU it moves on to the next in the queue of 2 or 3 that you download every so often from the net. When it is finished it gets sent back to FAD.

The program doesn't cause slowdown, it only uses unused power, as whenever you do anything else like type a letter it lets you do that and then starts processing again. After all other than in video editing or really high powered games you only ever use an average of 10% or so of your computers capacity. So why don't you donate it to a good cause?

FAD has several ongoing projects. Currently these are cancer, HIV, malaria, multiple sclerosis, SARS and bio terrorism antidotes.

If you do decide to join, I have now created a Special Reserve team. The team number for entering on the setup screen is 2072. So come on join up. So far there is 13 of us in the team. Out of 147 teams, Special Reserve is ranked 54. There is even a linux version now.

One day our efforts could make a difference. Imagine the lives that could be saved. In Britain, 1 in 3 people get cancer. Over a million people a year die in developing countries from Malaria, 3 times as many as AIDS kills. Even so, HIV is at epidemic levels and kills 100,000s a year all around the world. 40 million people in Africa have HIV, and in time it will kill them all.

This project doesn't require anything much of you, all you have to do run the program in the background. You can help to make a difference. It all builds up, just from lots of people running this. So far nearly 4,000 years worth of computer time has been spent scanning 27.62 billion moleculules.

There have been successes in finding growth inhibitors on several occasions in several areas. So come on, join us and help save the world.
Page:
Sun 31/10/04 at 11:18
Regular
It doesn't appear to be working for me...
Sun 31/10/04 at 09:15
Regular
"SOUP!"
Woah.

De-ja vu.
Sun 31/10/04 at 09:13
Regular
"\\"
I do like... 16 jobs at once. I'm sure it doesn't do my computer any good, but it works :D

And my CPU rating is usually somehwere between 90 and 130.
Sun 31/10/04 at 08:39
Regular
Is it doing 2 jobs at once on your computer? I have a pretty bad P2.4 but because it has super-duper hypthreading-something-or-other it can do 2 jobs at once which works out far better.

CPU rating for one job was like 140
two jobs it does 93 each (total of 186) plus it says I do 14 days of work in a week instead of just 7 :D
Sun 31/10/04 at 08:35
Regular
Ah Grandprix you joined the FAD team :) excellent. Biggles (wherever he is) must be very pleased to see so many active members :D

Anyone else who has their own computer that they leave idle sometimes, please join the Special Reserve team and help find a cure for diseases that kill millions. It's very simple download the program, done. It'll crunch all the numbers and send and receive jobs by itself, it will not cause any problems for your computer, will in no way slow it down at all. I run about 10 additional programs at once (1 running a DVD) and it's still doing it's job fast as ever.

Oh and congratulations to me for finding over 10,000 hits ^_^ woo hoo take that PS2:WLT FAD Team that so far has done 0 of everything. :P
Sun 31/10/04 at 08:32
Regular
"\\"
Pentium IV 3GHz... And a crap one at that :D
Sun 31/10/04 at 08:20
Regular
eye'Aoe wrote:
> What a brilliant, yet pointless ramble all that was :P

brilliant maybe, pointless yes.

You just did some more jobs, full of hits and another 1,300. what kind of processor do you have in this computer?
Sat 30/10/04 at 09:28
Regular
"\\"
Nausicaä wrote:
> Also I was shocked to notice that although Aoe has done far less jobs
> than you he has almost found as many hits 58,902, checking over his
> last big update I saw why, lots of big ones, 1886 being the highest,
> your highest was only 1399. Shame he doesnt know how rare it is to
> find that many hits in one job, looking at all those club threads.

Since my computer has been on all the time, I've gotten loads of 1000+ jobs. Maybe it's just the jobs I'm choosing?

And I never actually compared how many hits I had compared to the rest of the team. Go me! :-D

> So well done Aoe for all those huge hits and getting another
> certificate.

Thanks. :D

What a brilliant, yet pointless ramble all that was :P
Sat 30/10/04 at 02:50
Regular
Biggles, if you have a slower CPU rating does THINK give you quicker jobs because this computer with the 2 slower CPU ratings seems to get a lot of short jobs while the other computer on a much higher CPU rating gets longer ones. Quickest one being 6 hours on that one this one I've had many under the hour as quick as 30 minutes.

Also my contribution for 1 day (checking at midnight) is 59,520Gflops worth yet for the entire Special Reserve team it says the daily output is 23,432Gflops that can't be right. =S

Is LeanneH a new member to SR Team or did someone change their name? 12 out of 22 still going that's great hopefully the other 2 at the top will sort out their problems with their connection.

Also I was shocked to notice that although Aoe has done far less jobs than you he has almost found as many hits 58,902, checking over his last big update I saw why, lots of big ones, 1886 being the highest, your highest was only 1399. Shame he doesnt know how rare it is to find that many hits in one job, looking at all those club threads. My highest is only 837 so far. By the way I'm sure you noticed this ages ago sorry I'm slow to notice and yes I know it's all luck but still good to have jobs with lots of hits :) Although it's a bit odd that Joker! got 84,985Gflops 10 times more than the others. Hangon did they do the same job? How come they all got different numbers of hits? Joker! with over a 1000 less as well. Hmm I wonder if I've missed any hits. Oops just noticed that wasnt Gflops that was Points Joker! got 680,000Gflops just for one job :S Oh this is the thread I'm referring to [URL]http://forum.find-a-drug.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4137[/URL]

So well done Aoe for all those huge hits and getting another certificate. And hello LeanneH if you're new.
Mon 25/10/04 at 17:25
Regular
""
I remember you....

S.E extends a gnarled finger towards the shadowy figure of Notorious Biggles.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.