GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So Zelda then..prepare for disappointment!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess'.
Tue 16/08/05 at 09:32
Regular
"Less chat...More ha"
Zelda Delayed to Next Year
Twilight Princess development team requests extra time to make it a better game.

August 16, 2005 - Nintendo announced this morning that its anticipated new adventure game, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, has been delayed. The title, formerly scheduled to debut this November around the world, has since been postponed to 2006 so that the developer can continue to make the game better.

"After much discussion, the Zelda development team has requested extra time to add new levels, more depth and even higher quality to Zelda: Twilight Princess," said Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan. "Consequently, we're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31). We'll provide a specific date at a later point in time. While this may come as a disappointment to many eager fans, it will absolutely enrich the game and make it a multi-million seller."
Twilight Princess, developed by Nintendo and directed by Majora's Mask overseer Eiji Aonuma, was previously set to be the company's big holiday game. In fact, analysts expected the game to be Nintendo's single greatest deterrent to consumers potentially interested in Microsoft's next-generation console, Xbox 360, which is set for a November launch. The delay leaves Nintendo without a major holiday release on GameCube.

In the epic adventure, a 17-year-old Link travels across a gritty, realistic world and is able to move into an alternate dark land called the Twilight Realm, where he transforms into a wolf. Twilight Princess won a number of considerations by critics when it was presented in playable form at the Electronics Entertainment Expo. However, even then, members of the development team hinted in interviews that they would have to work overtime in order to meet a holiday release.

Source ign
Sat 20/08/05 at 11:59
Regular
Fair enough. May it'll be.
Sat 20/08/05 at 10:46
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dead Spiders wrote:
> It seems like a pretty bad reason to base a release date on. Unless
> there's a tax loophole of something they want to exploit.

I think they know they need another six months or so to work on the game, and "after the end of the financial year" is around about that time. Didn't say when afterwards it'd be announced either.
Sat 20/08/05 at 02:11
Regular
Tphi wrote:
> It's pretty obvious, the date is gonna be later than March 31st. I'm
> guessing May worldwide release.

If they stop the fiscal year at lunch time, there'd still be time.

Personally, I'd close the fiscal year half a day early to coax zelda out. I wonder who decides there things...

Odd call though - presumably they're releasing it after the fiscal year for accounting reasons, if it was just an approximation of date, I'm sure they'd have phrased it differently.

It seems like a pretty bad reason to base a release date on. Unless there's a tax loophole of something they want to exploit.
Sat 20/08/05 at 02:00
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> November is the best time to release a game, then March (easter) and
> finally May (pre-summer). I'm sure they'll have it ready for February
> and Nintendo will push the launch into March to coincide with one of
> the gaming seasons.

Perrin Kaplan: "We're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31st)"

It's pretty obvious, the date is gonna be later than March 31st. I'm guessing May worldwide release.
Sat 20/08/05 at 01:08
Regular
Tphi wrote:

> Now almost certain March release? Eh?
>
> They're revealing the final release date after the end of this
> financial year, no?

Nintendo release major games during 3 periods of the year: Either November (around the 20th), March (around the 20th also) or May (around the 1st).

November is the best time to release a game, then March (easter) and finally May (pre-summer). I'm sure they'll have it ready for February and Nintendo will push the launch into March to coincide with one of the gaming seasons.
Fri 19/08/05 at 23:57
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Rai wrote:
> Just got the new NOM, and they interviewed Eiji Anouma, the Zelda
> director.
>
> "Discussing Wind Waker, he said: "At the end of
> production, we fought against the clock and there were parts that I
> had to approve, even though it didn't feel complete. I regret we
> didn't fix the Triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and
> dull"

>
> This shows that not even Nintendo were proud of that poor excuse for
> a game extension that was the map quest. So, I say to them: take as
> long as you want.

I didn't find any of The Wind Waker slow or dull.

If they can pull that off when they aren't really trying then it looks like we could have something to rival, or even beat The Ocarina Of Time.
Fri 19/08/05 at 23:29
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo would have been agonising over this I'm sure. I just hope
> sales are still high at the, now almost certain, March release.

Now almost certain March release? Eh?

They're revealing the final release date after the end of this financial year, no?
Fri 19/08/05 at 18:00
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Just got the new NOM, and they interviewed Eiji Anouma, the Zelda director.

"Discussing Wind Waker, he said: "At the end of production, we fought against the clock and there were parts that I had to approve, even though it didn't feel complete. I regret we didn't fix the Triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull"

This shows that not even Nintendo were proud of that poor excuse for a game extension that was the map quest. So, I say to them: take as long as you want.
Fri 19/08/05 at 17:47
Regular
We learnt from the Wind Waker incident that it is better to delay than to release early.

Nintendo would have been agonising over this I'm sure. I just hope sales are still high at the, now almost certain, March release.
Fri 19/08/05 at 14:53
"period drama"
To be honest, I'm not that bothered. Yeah, I was really looking forward to it, and usually delays really p!ss me off, but this time ...

Well, if they need a bit more time to make The Best Game Ever just a little more perfect, then I've no worries. It'll be here eventually, and I'll still love it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.