GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tell me some funny stories, please"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/11/00 at 20:38
Regular
I want to hear all of your funny gaming stories, whether they are hilariously funny, or just moderately amusing, i want to hear them. Have you had an unfortunate power-cut problem (snigger)? Have you accidentally dropped your PS2 down some stairs (kkknkkn)? Ever been sick in the toilet of a well known gaming industry party (you know who you are Ben). Get writing all of you, or you are all banned. Joking.
Wed 29/11/00 at 12:06
Ok, here's one of mine. About five years ago, Nintendo Official Magazine ran a competition to win a Mortal Kombat 2 Arcade Machine. WOW! Mortal Kombat 2 is totally radical! So I entered (you had to design a fatality or something) and to my surprise, my childish scrawlings had won me the toppermost prize. Oh My God!

Unfortunately, from then on things turned into a nightmare. The machine took 4 months to arrive at my door (you thought gameaday was bad) and when i received it I found it was just a beta version of the game, with only half of the moves included. Still, it was fun and I duly spent the next month or so living and breathing Mortal Kombat 2. After a while I began to get bored of it, so I decided to sell it on at a huge profit (£££££). I had dreams of purchasing a PlayStation AND a 3DO together - wow, i was going to be rich. After failing to find an interested buyer we agreed to sell the machine to a dodgy dealer from Southend. We agreed on £150 on the phone, so he turned up and inspected the machine, asking me if I could write down 'the magics' for each character. When the time came to take it away he stuck £100 in my hand and said 'That's about it, isn't it?'. There's me trembling cos they guy is so large and has two Southend cronies with him. 'Yes' I say, 'that's fine'. Biggest mistake I ever made.

To make matters worse, I took the money into school one day intending to pay it in at the bank only to have £35 of it stolen by some gypsy boy in my PE class. Still, can't complain - I bought the Great Escape by Blur with my remaining winnings. Hang on...
Wed 29/11/00 at 12:02
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Anyone remember the game Marble Madness on the NES ?
Well, going back a few years when the NES was king, etc. My uncle took some toys off of me for my cousin as i didn't play with them anymore.

Because of my kind deed my uncle asked me to pick a NES game i wanted. I knew exactly what i wanted ! With a beaming smile i chose Gremlins 2.
My uncle, noting the game, went off to the shops. The next day he came back with a small bag. "Sorry, i couldn't find Gremlins 2, i picked this up for you instead". I opened the bag and there it was, what was to be my arch enemy and childhood scurge..........Marble Madness............

Although i hadn't heard of this game, i smiled and thanked my uncle and ran upstairs to play my newly aquired game to death.
Now, one thing about me is that when playing games, especially when i was little, i have the temprement of a wild bull whos just been kicked in the round and curlies. Add this to a very frustrating game and the results are shall we say, not a model example of a nice child.

Of course, i was fine at losing for the first few goes without any progress. Hours passed, then days and i still wasn't getting anywhere and the temperature of my room really started to rise.

After much swearing and temper tantrums at it, i decided to kill it. I filled up the bath then dumped the game in watched the airbubbles surface till they were no more. After drowning the game for a few mintutes, i dried the cartridge and stuffed it into my NES expecting a very dead game. It worked perfectly ! Other methods of destroying this game were to follow......

I accidently "dropped" it down the stairs, I beat the living crap out of it, I even "accidentily" threw it out of my upstairs bedroom window onto the concrete below.
Each time it carried on working. Most people would say "why carry on playing it if it was that frustrating ?". Well as a kid, i just couldn't walk away from a game feeling beaten - i had to win ! And with this game the only way to win was by other means than a controller. But each time it defied death it just wound me up even more !

Everynight i went to bed, it would be sitting there, mocking me by existing. As a small child i was totally unaware of the idea of selling games on, so i felt i was doomed to own that poxy game forever..........
Of course as time passed, the SNES was soon to be on its way and i ended up selling my NES with something like 20 games in order to get my new SNES on the release day.

My uncle took the NES and games to a bloke who decided to give me like £300 for it all.
As he's walking out to the car, Marble Madness slipped out of its box and onto the pavement, smashing as it hit. How ironic ! Still got £300 for the other stuff though without it ;-)
Wed 29/11/00 at 08:39
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
For legal reasons names will not be given in this following narration of events:

A certain gamer used to live in a shared house. The guy downstairs (lets call him, Bart), was a small time drug-dealer and general ducker and diver, who owned a rather large collection of pirated PS games and a chipped PSX, which the certain gamer in question often had the benefit of using. FIFA 98 was the game of the month back then, and myself (oops, ignore that) and Bart were expecting one of his 'customers' to arrive one evening to join in a 3-way match, myself and Bart (playing Man Utd) against the customer (playing Burkina Faso and bragging that he could beat anyone with any team).
There was a knock at the door and Bart shouts "It's open! Come in!" So in walks a police officer who is looking for the whereabouts of a certain individual who used to share the house with us. Knowing full well that Bart has a kilo of illicit substances under his sofa, we quickly directed the nice police officer upstairs to where the tenant's old room was to be found, whilst Bart quickly scrabbled around trying to hide various Rizlas, weighing implements etc., during which he had the bright idea of throwing said illicit substance out of his front window into the garden just to be on the safe side. Unbeknownst to him, however, there was another nice police officer standing outside the front door who duly noted the said illicit projectile emitted from the said front window.
I never worked out whether it was the £300 fine or the confiscation of his beloved substance that did it, but Bart's FIFA skills were never the same again.

N.B. Drugs = Bad. Just say no.
Tue 28/11/00 at 23:25
O.K. This is probably the worst, it was around the time that Tekken 3 came out on the playstation. Me and a couple of mates went round to my freind Liams Auntys House, anyway we were all engrosed in thrilling gameplay...especially me(Im the videogame freak!), then urrggghhhh to my disgust I had a *@?X0$4! thrust in my mouth, a big white monster...my freind Liam thought it would be a laugh, shocking yes, funny to me no, funny to them yes.
Liam later assured me he bleached the thing, which was slightly comforting. Although I still cringe at the thought!
No posting this story into FHM, Loaded or the likes Guys...its a seriously embarassing story.
Tue 28/11/00 at 22:26
Regular
My SNES plug adaptor melted for some reason......
Tue 28/11/00 at 22:25
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
alright, i'm not sure if mine works yet, it burned up a couple of weeks ago, it's not very nice but seeing as I don't have much but a keyboard and the drum pad, i need everything I have to work.
Tue 28/11/00 at 22:22
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was only 7 when mine fried only 6 months after christmas and I was really upset but eventually got a new one because I had so many games with it.

I think it is in my cuboard now!
Tue 28/11/00 at 22:19
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
thats so true SHEEPY, I put a 12v DC plug into a 9v socket, it completly wasted the circuitry of my digital drum pad, £400 damage but my tutor did it for £50! ha ha, he was pretty angry with me as we had been warned about that the week before. <--- that wasn't funny, just thought i'd tell ya.
Tue 28/11/00 at 22:12
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'll tell you a funny stoey i just spend the whole night doing an english essay for a teacher I ehhh don't like.
OK that was not funny.

I once knocked my playstation over with a cushion and well kind of broke it.

I fried my gamegear by accident I put the voltage on the adaptor to high.

And my LOVELY little cousin busted my PC by preesing all the buttons, OH I ABSOLUTLY H.. LOVE HIM!

So there you go I have nae ideas left to write a topic!
Tue 28/11/00 at 22:01
"possibly impossible"
Hello! Not too late to join the parade am I? Good!

While I was lucky enough to be working for Your Sinclair in Oxford Street, a friend and I were sent on a mission to fetch some toys from Hamleys for a christmas special that the magazine was running. Thrilled as we were to be sent on any 'important' business, we left without checking any maps or bus/tube routes.

After about 30 minutes on the bus we realised that we had gone way past Hamleys, even past Baker Street and were heading into far uncharted teritory. The conductor saw our predicament and we eventually got to Hamleys, got the toys safely back and tried to think very hard of an excuse why we were out of breath and 1 hour late!

Still, the limited experience I had of working for a games magazine was fantastic, especially in those days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.