GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GC fans can't boost about the price now try and get a DVD player for £30 or £40 pounds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Well Well Sony and MS drop the price of there already very affordable machines this can only be a bad thing for GC as no-one can buy a GC and seperate DVD player for £159 or £169.

As I have stated countless times before the GC is cheap because it is a cheap piece of technology.

Facts

GC Xbox PS2

1.5 gig format 4.5gig dvd 4.5gig dvd

Dvd playback none Yes needs controller Yes out of the box

10 million 90 million 20 million
polys per second polys per second polys per second

Dolby 5.1 none Dolby 5.1 yes Dolby 5.1 yes

Serial ports USB, Opitical, ethernet USB, firewire,Optical

480 x 640 1172 x 800 at least 1172 x 800 at least

These are a few examples and just go to show why the GC is cheaper than the other two console because it's old hat technology, the one bit of modern technology is not worth having the custom 1.5 discs (Resi Evil on two disc so yesterday) are a waste of time and only designed so that Nintendo can charge the publishers more for custom tooling.
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:14
Regular
cyclone are you saying you would buy a car which hasnt got a cup holder!!!!, shame on you. :-)
Thu 29/08/02 at 12:58
"Darkness, always"
In my house, I have 3 DVD players. 1 connected to my PC, one connected to my flatmates PC (and through that via TV out to the TV) and the 3rd a normal standalone dvd unit connected to the TV.

Somebody please explain to me why a console with a DVD playing facility would be an attractive option for me?

Since I can assure you that it is not, surely I will instead be looking for game quality and experience instead.

Is it any wonder why I own a GameCube, and neither of the other current generation of consoles?
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:16
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
heh

gc old hat.

heh

when i went to the gamey thing in cambridge on tuesday they had gcs and ps2s connected to the same size tvs. the GC graphics look amazing, very smooth and clear. the PS2 was having trouble with lines etc (can;t remember technical term) and the xboxs were in their ickle display stands with even smaller tvs and still GC graphics look ALOT better.

GC may not be most powerful on paper but i think it uses what it has got very well, unlike ps2 and xbox.
Thu 29/08/02 at 13:25
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
A)Cds are now totally defunct?
What format is your music on then?

B)The GC discs are actually more future friendly than DVDs - these diddy discs are going to have movies on some time in the future.
Full length movies at DVD quality on a 1.5Gb disc - not possible. That would require more capacity. The only way would be to reduce the quality, and/or ship the movie on 2 discs.

C)A standard like electric windows and a CD player? Shut up. They are just pointless gimmicks.
Well then, what about 5speed manual gearbox. This was not standard on every car to start with - but it is now.
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:10
Regular
It's funny how Ninty fanboys hark on about how they don't need dvd and yet there game preview discs are dvd's.

Alright if you own a PS2 or a Xbox.
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:20
Regular
Mr Ripper wrote:
> In my house, I have 3 DVD players. 1 connected to my PC, one connected
> to my flatmates PC (and through that via TV out to the TV) and the 3rd
> a normal standalone dvd unit connected to the TV.
>
> Somebody please explain to me why a console with a DVD playing
> facility would be an attractive option for me?
>
> Since I can assure you that it is not, surely I will instead be
> looking for game quality and experience instead.
>
> Is it any wonder why I own a GameCube, and neither of the other
> current generation of consoles?

Well Mr. Ripper,
Not everyone has access to as many DVD players as your good self. Some still haven't got their first player. These might be thinking of getting a next gen games console, and to them if would be a good move to buy one with DVD movie playback - saves them also buying a player. Another issue, is that like most people have more than one tv in the house, why shouldn't we have more than one dvd player in the house? So it's very possible, that the "main" room and tv already has a standalone dvd player, but upstairs could be an old PS1 or similar for the kids which is due to be replaced. If they get a PS2, it will also play dvd's. Finally, DVD will be common place and as standard as CD very soon. DVD won't be something people think about getting special - it will just be a standard and expected media form.
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:28
Regular
The thing is dvd is the standard not an extra as GC fans would like you to believe.

To just say it is a useless extra is rubbish what do games such as Metal Gear, GTA come on dvd yes that is right the format for all games in the near future, not an expensive add on, but an essential part of next gen gaming.
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:40
Regular
Would you just shutup and stop annoying people. If you wanna start anymore of these annoying console wars topics then go find some other forums, people here aren't intrested in your crap.
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:43
Regular
Yeah, they're interested in our crap instead :-)
Thu 29/08/02 at 14:47
Regular
Techno freak wrote:
> an essential part of next gen gaming.

He was talking about dvds player. How right he is with out it i would never of been able to play mario and monkey ball.

If your gonna be like that GBA connection is of standard for people who likes gaming and its essential part of next gen gaming.

an essential part of next gen gaming is to have good games, i have a ps2 and only 1 games, that i cant get else where, has actually came close to being good is MGS2 and even that was as good as the first.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.